The Novel Challenge Hub

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Added a bit to one of the novellas today. Going to try and get another chapter for Gaslyte written this evening. Maybe once this sudden-onset-headache goes away. >_<

LilliCray

Plot? What plot?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mutteringsofascribe.blogspot.com
Aw, Aggy, hope that headache doesn't try to stick around. :(

Haven't done much actual writing today, but I know I hit at least my 100 words, and I got to a milepoint in the scene I was working on, and I've edited so far 19 and a half pages today of a short story I'm planning on submitting soon. (Am somewhat more than a little freaked about that, because it'll be my first professional writing submission. :Ssh:)

Also I re-discovered how much I love the three major characters involved in said story. (Well, two more than the POV, but actually I still like her well enough and she's definitely better than what I unfortunately tend towards with my FMCs... I don't know why, but they always seem a lot more boring than the side characters. >.<) And I totally want to write more about them.

...after this project. Because I still love this project. And I will continue to still love it because I will continue to write on it every day, dangit! *stance of resolve*

Also I'm having a beginning-of-adult-life crisis/panic attack that I'm attempting to stave off by editing and watching Supernatural on Netflix. (At the same time, which is an interesting experience...). I seriously do not know how to be person. 'Tis very terrifying. >.<

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
Hello! I haven't been good about keeping up with this thread. But back in November, my goal was a first draft by February 1, and I just realized I should check in to say that I made it!

Now, back to my revisions ...

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

All prayers for the release of your headache, Aggy!

Congrats, Joy!

LilliCray: as the elder crone of this thread (I'll be 59 in March), I'll tell you that adulthood is much like your 100 words per day. You go through what you have to go through. You keep your mind open. And at the end of the day, you have a bit more wisdom than the last. That's really all there is to it.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

sky warrior books

Redneck Ninja and Curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.skywarriorbooks.com
Update:today I had a root canal. Lucky me. I get a whole bunch of teeth work done this next week, not because I've ignored my teeth, but because of what can only be described as lousy genetics.

Yesterday, I got close to 1000 words written on Daemons and Shadows, which means the book is at a bit over 25K. Today, I was lucky to put a cover on the trade paperback of anthology I've been needing to get out. Radcon in Pasco, WA is about 10 days away and I'm GOH Press so I'm trying to get ready for that.

Oh, and I found a nice wordmeter. Web of Wyrd is still languishing.

wordmeter.asp

wordmeter.asp

Sarah G

Let me live that fantasy.
Registered
Reaction score
Good work everyone:Hug2:

I haven't written anything for ages, but I'm back at it now. I set a goal to write at least 500 words a day and I reached it today with 688. Not a lot, but better than the 0 words I have been doing:)

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Congrats on all words, everyone!

Sky Warrior: Ouch! I had lots of trouble with my gums awhile back for the same reason: genetics. Wish we could have taught our forebears to pick a different crop of genes...

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Aggy B.

Registered
Reaction score
So far today about 1.5k words written. Trying to finish up this novellette so I can start trying to find a market for it.

It's really slow going. I have almost all of it written with a few hundred words of transition missing between one section and the next. It's hard to keep the momentum, but I'm making progress.

Hilldawg

Registered
Reaction score
Trashing My Novel

After 5 years of off-and-on work, I've decided to trash what I've got. Yup. All 70,000 some-odd words.

It's really become a frankenstein piece with poor pacing and no singular inciting event. It was started via the pantsing method with stitched together manuscripts of things I wrote that I loved and wanted to make work together but it doesn't work. And I realize that that's why it's taking me so long to finish. I'll work on it for about two or three months at a time and then leave off of it for a whole year - and only because I keep trying to stretch the premise to fit. Well, damn it, it doesn't fit and I'm done.

But I'm still in the novel challenge. I'm already at work crafting my new premise and starting the novel process via an outline. Yup, no pantsing for me (at least not at this point).

Wish me luck and I'll report back as soon as I have something worth reporting.

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
I. Finished. The. Damn. Book!!!!

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Mystery Riter, hurray!

Hilldawg, best of luck on the new novel. You now know you can write a novel-length book, and that's half the battle. The other half is the part you get to work on now: writing a novel-length book that reads well.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

LilliCray

Plot? What plot?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Congrats, MysteryRiter!! Finishing is very, very good. :D

Hilldawg, good luck. I bet this project goes much better for you. ;)

As for me... still doin' good on the 100 words a day. Which has now turned into, temporarily at least, 200 words a day--100 on one project, 100 on my reworking of my 2011 NaNo. Which I honestly was never expecting to go back to. *shrug* Go figure. The first 100-words-a-day project is at almost 12k. 4k of that is actually the beginning. The other 8-ish-k is scenes I wrote out of order. Which may not have been a good idea. ...but maybe it was. At least now I know there's a character who actually appears in this book... I was thinking he wouldn't appear until the sequel, if I ever wrote it.

...it feels really weird to me to think of anything in terms of sequels, but... it just kind of happened. Assuming I ever finish the first one. Sigh. >.<

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sealeyandrews.wordpress.com
Congrats, Mystery!

And good progress, everyone else!

I am caught up and on track. Which is good. Entering that part of the novel that requires tight plotting. *bites nails* And I know it's not tight enough as it is. I have some planning to do. Which means I might get behind on word count in the process, though I am hoping not to.

AlwaysJuly

slugging through
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thisisnotnotmydayjob.blogspot.com
I'm not really sure what happened to January. Not much writing happened in it. But I'm getting back to it now... much W1S1 to catch up on (both the novel version and the every-two-week W1S1 short fiction).

Frustrating, but that's life sometimes!

KitCat

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh, I've hardly written anything on the forums for a week

Grats mystery! Great job :)

I've gotten behind a bit, rewriting my beginning after posting in SYW, but i think I've got my 20k back and some scenes i can use later on, so for the best :)

Aggy B.

Registered
Reaction score
The SF Western has nudged up over 11k. I have a good idea of which scenes still need to be completed and then it'll be time for beta-readers and refining the hot mess I've put on the page. :p

LilliCray

Plot? What plot?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Words. I love words. :snoopy:

No, seriously, words make me happy. One of my projects has almost 12k of them. Another one that I just started typing on yesterday has 676 of them. And all this in like two-ish weeks! I haven't felt this awesome about my writing since... since... well, honestly, ever, because NaNo doesn't count; while I was indeed producing much writing during NaNo, it always felt very badly done because of the speed at which I was trying to write it. So. Yeah.

And I wrote a blog post today! Three whole blog posts already this year. At this rate, I might even be a regular blogger someday! :D