• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[eZine] Heroes and Heartbreakers

Quiggs1982

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.maryellenquigley.com
Has anyone here published with Heroes and Heartbreakers?

I was sent their submission information from a friend (Check them out here.) I love to write short stories, so this could be a good thing for me to look into. Unfortunately, I don't know much about them.

I would like to know more before attempting to submit.

Thanks!

san_remo_ave

Back at it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elainegolden.com
Heroes and Heartbreakers is a website that's run by Macmillan, so it's got strong backing. There are a also a number of well-published romance authors (Sherrilyn Kenyon, Kieran Kramer, Carolyn Jewel) who blog or have sold pieces there. I haven't heard anything to the negative and traffic appears to be high on the site, though I've only seen a few 'original' stories published there.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It does look like a very good market. Does anyone know if it's strictly heterosexual stories?

slicing_angel2003

Registered
Reaction score
I submitted a piece to H&H at the end of September and I was just wondering if anyone knew about their response times. I know six weeks is a bit early to hear anything, but it'd be nice to know when I can start biting my nails. Thanks!

az shea

Copy editor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aszanoni.blogspot.com
I submitted a piece to H&H at the end of September and I was just wondering if anyone knew about their response times. I know six weeks is a bit early to hear anything, but it'd be nice to know when I can start biting my nails. Thanks!

Did you get a reply sooner'n six weeks, 'angel?

The H&H site still looks pretty healthy, and being a sister site to Tor.com is the same sort of style... for another genre. :) I like H&H a little better than their mystery [sister] site Criminal Element. Not sure which of 'em is the elder.

JulesJones

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.julesjones.com
Data point on response times. Submitted a 20k piece on 22 Feb 2015, no auto-ack received and I eventually assumed it might not have even reached them, but I had a form rejection yesterday, 16 Dec 2015.

az shea

Copy editor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aszanoni.blogspot.com
Wow, they're mirroring Tor's response times, too.

You mean almost a year?

Perhaps they use the same slushers... I have no idea. I don't have an email response rate for MS.

On email, I pinged one of the editors on Twitter [she follows me] and asked if I could email them. This was about freelance copyediting.

She emailed me that day. I replied on the same day; then I didn't hear back from her... so I followed up today and got an email response within the hour. She'd just lost track of my email. :)

Last edited:

NonieMaus

Un Petit Chou
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! Not sure why this thread didn't come up when I searched AW :/

az shea

Copy editor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aszanoni.blogspot.com
Thanks! Not sure why this thread didn't come up when I searched AW :/

Sometimes the AW master index isn't updated; sometimes the thread you seek has been merged with another; sometimes Google finds it with search-fu; sometimes the thread just hides. :Shrug:

At times the Universe just giggles at us. 8(

Don't feel bad, I've had the same happen to me. "I can't find [This One] on AW!" =panic ensues=

StoryofWoe

Sick and pale with grief.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a little confused about the payment structure presented in the submission guidelines. It states under "How much do you pay?" that they pay $1,000 per story + 25% royalties. However, it's unclear how/whether the rate varies based on the length of the submission. According to the site,
We are looking for original short stories (15k-30k words) as well as novellas (30k-50k words) and category-length works (up to 60k). Novellas and category-length romances would most likely be considered for publication as serial stories.
Surely they don't they pay $1,000 for short stories and novellas and category-length works, right? And let's say an author submits a serial story; would they receive $1,000 for each "episode" or for the category-length story in its entirety?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
The following was posted to their Tumblr page, 11/9/17:

Important: Macmillan Statement on Heroes & Heartbreakers
Here’s a message from our parent company, St. Martin’s Press/Macmillan:

"Over six years ago Macmillan debuted a romance community website at HeroesandHeartbreakers.com. As the digital habits of readers and consumers evolve, the strategic direction for reaching them evolves as well.

Macmillan will be saying goodbye to the Heroes and Heartbreakers website by the end of 2017 and going forward will focus on engaging romance fans via our e-newsletter—which has a robust, growing circulation—and on social media. The St. Martin’s Press romance marketing team will be responsible for the e-newsletter and social media channels going forward and will continue to celebrate all things romance with the monthly shopping list, cover reveals, sneak peek excerpts, first look reviews and author spotlights in the e-newsletter and on our social channels."​

Team H&H’s Heather, Jenn P., Jen W., and Teddy will be here until November 21.

You all have been an integral part of H&H’s success, so we wanted you to hear this news directly from us. We’ve answered a few questions we thought you may have in the section below. Feel free to email us about any additional questions you have about the transition. If we don’t have the answer, we can forward your question to someone at St. Martin’s who can help.

Working with you has been a true honor, whether you have been with us from the very beginning or just joined recently. We will always support the romance community and are so proud to be part of it.

Love lifts us all and you have certainly done a lot to lift us up these past 6+ years.

xoxo,

Heather, Jenn, Jen, and Theodore
Site's still up, but FB gone. No mention of closure on TW (which is currently promoting other St. Martin books).