Middling It

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I thought Penumbra didn't allow multiple submissions. :Huh:

If you have a story short-listed for an issue there, you may submit for a different issue. I'd be sad otherwise, since they've had my Animals story for over 100 days.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
If you have a story short-listed for an issue there, you may submit for a different issue. I'd be sad otherwise, since they've had my Animals story for over 100 days.
Hmm, I'll query them about it, 'cause I wouldn't mind submitting something to the politics issue.

ETA: Queried them -- that was fast! It's okay to send multiple stories, they just don't want the same story submitted multiple times or sim-subs.

Last edited:

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
I don't have any specific information, but I think we should be hearing about the Animals issue decisions very soon. There just isn't that much time left for them to get contracts/edit selected pieces.

I was wondering how late they would leave it. I like the look of this market. I'm just wondering how many people reach round two and what percentage make the cut.

ETA: Queried them -- that was fast! It's okay to send multiple stories, they just don't want the same story submitted multiple times or sim-subs.

Strange, in my message saying I'd made round two they said I could withdraw it if it got accepted elsewhere making me think sim-subs were ok.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Strange, in my message saying I'd made round two they said I could withdraw it if it got accepted elsewhere making me think sim-subs were ok.
Same here. Hmm, I dunno. Perhaps it was once okay to do sim-subs but they've since changed their mind, and haven't changed the "you've been bumped up to the editors" response. :e2shrug:

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Penumbra just announced their acceptances for the Steampunk issue.

Steampunk! I completely forgot about that one. I expected to hear back any day now about my Animals issue submission. Guess it'll be another month now.

The next 3 should be Animals, Fractured Fairy Tales and Manga -- but does anyone recall in which order?

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Still waiting for a response from Apex and Stupefying Stories. Also, Every Day Fiction, Mixer and Tor.com. (Tor.com has a long way to go though.)

Aggy, lots of crickets

KitCat

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Penumbra just announced their acceptances for the Steampunk issue.

Steampunk! I completely forgot about that one. I expected to hear back any day now about my Animals issue submission. Guess it'll be another month now.

The next 3 should be Animals, Fractured Fairy Tales and Manga -- but does anyone recall in which order?

Wish i had written down the other themes for them now lol

I dunno if it helps or not but the deadline was Nov 30 for animals, waiting on mine too :)

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm fairly sure Animals is next. I remember a call for Manga submissions, but don't see a room for it on their monthly calendar. Maybe it was scrapped? Best I can tell it should be:

Steampunk - March
Animals - April
Fractured Fairy Tales: May
Greco-Roman Mythology: June
Politics: July
Dreams: August

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
I was expecting animals too! Guess it will be another month then. Seems there are a lot of us in that second round from this forum. I hope we all make it! Wouldn't that be awesome?

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That would be crazy good.

I wonder if we can somehow con Milo into organizing a W1S1 anthology. That way, no matter which stories get it, it'll be 100% from W1S1 folks! :)

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wanna be in the anthology!

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
I do have a middling it, being out forever at Analog. But have a weird one for you.

Sent to a mag that accepts postals. Got a letter in the mail that they received it and, oh yeah, buy a subscription. They had a SASE in there and proudly said it was recycled from a SASE that came with a submission that was accepted.

See, the problem is, I can still see that person's name and address through their label. So they're sending submitters the names and addy's of accepted people. A little unnerving.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I do have a middling it, being out forever at Analog. But have a weird one for you.

Sent to a mag that accepts postals. Got a letter in the mail that they received it and, oh yeah, buy a subscription. They had a SASE in there and proudly said it was recycled from a SASE that came with a submission that was accepted.

See, the problem is, I can still see that person's name and address through their label. So they're sending submitters the names and addy's of accepted people. A little unnerving.

Huh. Makes me kind of happy I use my work address for all my contracts/checks/writer correspondence.

J.W. Alden

The King Who Bore the Sword
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
I was just passed on to round 2 for the Politics issue of Penumbra in July. Now the wait begins! I'm excited; if this story sells it'll be my first sale.

mhaynes

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
I was just passed on to round 2 for the Politics issue of Penumbra in July. Now the wait begins! I'm excited; if this story sells it'll be my first sale.

Congrats on getting passed on to Round 2! Good luck with it.

mhaynes

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
And I just heard that my story got passed on to the second round of the "Greek/Roman Myths" issue for Penumbra.

Glad to get a piece of good news, even of the "Middling It" variety. It's been a while. :)

Prisoner24601

One Mouthy Broad
Registered
Reaction score
Looks like Penumbra is sending out a bunch of responses today. I just got passed on to the second round of the Greek/Roman Mythology call too which was one of my W1/S1 January stories.

Also, I just noticed that they've updated their calls for submission page with a bunch of new themes and deadlines.

Congrats all, and good luck too!

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And I just heard that my story got passed on to the second round of the "Greek/Roman Myths" issue for Penumbra.

Glad to get a piece of good news, even of the "Middling It" variety. It's been a while. :)

Woot! Great news, but prepare to wait a few months at this point.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Looks like Penumbra is sending out a bunch of responses today. I just got passed on to the second round of the Greek/Roman Mythology call too which was one of my W1/S1 January stories.

Also, I just noticed that they've updated their calls for submission page with a bunch of new themes and deadlines.

Congrats all, and good luck too!

Congratulations, and thanks for the heads-up on upcoming issues!

mhaynes

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
Woot! Great news, but prepare to wait a few months at this point.

Yeah, I had a two month wait for the Sports issue and from what I'd seen from others' comments I had the sense the wait had increased.

I'm also apparently in the "we're still thinking about it" queue at Nine.

pangalactic

Gargling blasters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
chrisbissette.com
I'm through to the second round at ASIM. Fingers crossed; this is, IMO, my best story, and it keeps getting close but falling at the last hurdle.

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh! Fingers crossed for all the second rounders!