Middling It

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Hmm, I have a story with FFO at 28 days. I had sent it originally with two other stories (took them up on the multi-sub offer), and those were rejected way back, so I assume they must've gotten this one.

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
Where's my middling company zanz? I'm over 160 days now, but I see no movement since mid december, sigh. I start the new year with anticipation.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Whoa, I got an e-mail from Daily Science Fiction saying that my story made it to the second round! I'm really happy as I've never made it this far with them before (in their e-mail they say that 80% of submissions don't get past round one). They say it will take a few more weeks before they make a final decision, so fingers crossed :).

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Whoa, I got an e-mail from Daily Science Fiction saying that my story made it to the second round! I'm really happy as I've never made it this far with them before (in their e-mail they say that 80% of submissions don't get past round one). They say it will take a few more weeks before they make a final decision, so fingers crossed :).
Very, very cool, Sai. Wishing you good luck! :)

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Good luck! I've got my fingers crossed for you.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Great job, Sai! You should get a final answer from them within 2 weeks, based on my experience.

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
Black Static had a rejection listed on Duotrope today...102 days!!! That cranks the sound of my 55-day crickets up a notch on the volume dial. :/ It's hard getting a feel for BS because not many Duotropers seem to submit to them. Only 58 reports in the past 12 months.

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure how "Middling" this is, but I have a story at Tin House that has been "in progress" on Submishmash for over a week now. Obviously this has now convinced me they love it and are only hesitating over just how to tell me how amazing it is...

Then I have one of my three Glimmer Train submissions still "in process" with 31st Jan fast approaching. Again, in my mind I have already spent the $700 on a specially made cuban cigar for my pet cat.

Still have stuff out under consideration at Fender Stitch and Penumbra (Animals) too.

Some crushing times ahead m'thinks!

OtterFactory

Registered
Reaction score
When did you submit to TH, Deadlight? Your post made me curious to check mine, and it says In Progress as well. I submitted late December, before Christmas.

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
I subbed 15th November... To be honest, I think I remember it being like this the last time I submitted too. I think when it enters that stage on sbmshmsh it means it has been allocated to be read. I might start getting excited if it stretches beyond a month.

Pemako

Registered
Reaction score
I've been waiting for an R from a notoriously slow-to-send-out-Rs market - I could see them coming closer day by day to finally sending me my R - and now they haven't sent anything at all out since Friday. Haha - I think their plan may be to actually make us appreciate our Rs.

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
Speaking of submishmash, does anyone have any experience with how long it takes a Shock Totem submission to hang out with the "In-Progress" status before it's rejected or accepted?

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I also just got a round 2 bump from ASIM. The story has been sitting in round 1 for 39 days!!! Typically you get rejected or go into round 2 in 3-12 days. Not sure what to make of that, other than assuming holidays and a VERY slow slush reader.

GCU_Dramatic Exit

Registered
Reaction score
good luck with your subs to ASIM

had a story at FFO for 14 days now, not a long time at all although it certainly feels like it

plus i've got stories at Ellery Queen, One Buck Horror & DSF

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just got a hold request from ASIM for a long sci-fi poem of mine. *crosses fingers* :)

Yay! You're a poet too?
Is there no end to your talents?

Fingers and toes crossed for you, Alex, GCU, and Defcon.
And anyone else whose waiting.

I've got something with Vestal. It's been more than 150 days. Anyone had any experience of them?

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
Project - mine has been with TH since october (past the 90 day mark) and has been in progress for a while, I think once they assign it it gets that designation. I like the queue system of clarkesworld for these things. But then, I've had them at tinhouse for well past the 90 day mark before, once because it got lost and I had to resend.

I'm waiting for stuff on subs from last year, one over 160 days, and TH just passing the 90 days they say is their normal RT.