Middling It

Melinda Moore

Registered
Reaction score
Hang in there, Niccolo. EDF didn't take my rewritten piece after all; I wish better luck to you!

A Shimmer bump from Ms Tobler for me. Add this to the Penumba bump, and you get a very fragile person. *biting nails*

How long before you got the bump from Shimmer?

victoriajakes

let me tell you about my dogs
Registered
Reaction score
Not really middling, but is anyone else playing slush roulette right now with McSweeney's? I'm at 222 days, still "Received" on Submishmash, and watching the responses come in from 25 days to 297. Randomly, it seems. They closed to submissions to catch up, so I guess they just decided to catch up here and there?

Nothing to do but wait, and hope I do not end up in the "No Response" statistic on Duotrope. Anybody else chewing their nails?

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
According to my rejectomancy skills this should be either a very good week or a very painful week. Either way, I anticipate finally hearing back from a bunch of places after a very quiet couple of weeks.

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
According to my rejectomancy skills this should be either a very good week or a very painful week. Either way, I anticipate finally hearing back from a bunch of places after a very quiet couple of weeks.

Same here, Alex. I've got 10 or 11 submissions that could receive a response any day now, many of which are overdue. Best of luck.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Same here, Alex. I've got 10 or 11 submissions that could receive a response any day now, many of which are overdue. Best of luck.

Thanks, Michael, and same to you. I called it; 2 rejections showed up today. Bracing for more responses soon!

bpreslar

Working title
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bradpreslar.com
Not really middling, but is anyone else playing slush roulette right now with McSweeney's? I'm at 222 days, still "Received" on Submishmash, and watching the responses come in from 25 days to 297.

Interesting but not surprising heir print response times are significantly slower than their online response times.

I've got a couple out right now that I'm starting to wonder about.

LolaVelo

Registered
Reaction score
Not really middling, but is anyone else playing slush roulette right now with McSweeney's? I'm at 222 days, still "Received" on Submishmash, and watching the responses come in from 25 days to 297. Randomly, it seems. They closed to submissions to catch up, so I guess they just decided to catch up here and there?

Nothing to do but wait, and hope I do not end up in the "No Response" statistic on Duotrope. Anybody else chewing their nails?

I have something much younger at McSweeney's, 40 days, but I have something at another lit. journal which is driving me mad: I'm at 130 days, and they're pumping out 14 day Rs at the moment... I feel your pain!!!

Niccolo

Registered
Reaction score
Mike Davis at the Lovecraft ezine emailed me back today about my query for a 120 day-old story. 4 months isn't all that long of a wait, but I queried anyway and he replied very promptly...and then again two weeks later. He sent me a very encouraging rejection two weeks ago telling me he would love to see more of my work. But he also emailed me today, telling me my story is still in the queue. So now I'm confused and...blarg.

This is a blarg kind of day.

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
Marz invented rejectobrags, I'm now inventing Middlobrags.

Just had my first ever conversation with a literary agent who is interested in reading one of my works in progress!! A really encouraging phone call as she is excited by my outline and the short story the novel is based on.

Last edited:

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
Unusual indeed, Niccolo. That would leave me scratching my head, for sure. Maybe worth another query 2-4 weeks if you haven't heard anything more definite?

Project Deadlight - great middling news!! Best of luck with the pitch!

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
Just had my first ever conversation with a literary agent who is interested in reading one of my works in progress!! A really encouraging phone call as she is excited by my outline and the short story the novel is based on.

Fabulous! I hope it works out - thinking it might be the award-winning short story? An actual phone call is great, too!

Niccolo - yes - I agree with Eliza. Especially if they don't allow sim subs, so that you can freely send it elsewhere.

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Fihr and O'D you are right, it is that story and that agent. I got really good vibes off said agent on the phone about the extended outline I sent over so now I just have to write the thing... It's a weird situation to have an agent having input right from the start as they want to see it at the first three chapters stage before it's even complete! :O

dachshund

Small Barking Dog
Registered
Reaction score
Shortlist note from Allegory. About 15 days.

LolaVelo

Registered
Reaction score
I'm itching to query the lit mag that's been driving me mad although part of me may also be too chicken. The submission was through Submittable; do I query through that, do you think, or should I use e-mail? There are no instructions on their site. Any advice? Thanks!

LolaVelo

Registered
Reaction score
What's the mag? Is it in progress yet?

Hi there,
I don't want to jinx it by naming it (every time I do that, I seem to get an R the next day!), but I'm currently at 138 days, in progress for about 100 of those, and the "okay to query" magic number is 90. They've been sending out Rs from the teens to 100+ days for the last few weeks, seemingly randomly. It is already sim subbed elsewhere, so I probably shouldn't be so antsy.

Niccolo

Registered
Reaction score
Pseudopod got back to me today on my query. Not too long of a wait, but I'm the impatient type. The story has been passed up to the editor by the first reader, who said he loved it. :D

So now I'm in a state somewhere between excitement and fear. So very impatient.

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck, Niccolo!

Does anyone know if Buzzy does second-round emails? I'm thinking they do not, but I don't have much experience with them. My sub has outlasted dozens of responses in the past few days, up to 28 days longer in a few cases, so the prickle of anxiety has set in.

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
Pseudopod got back to me today on my query. Not too long of a wait, but I'm the impatient type. The story has been passed up to the editor by the first reader, who said he loved it. :D

Good luck! Just curious as I have a sub there that's nearing 60-days - at what point did you query?

O'Dandelo - I've never made it to 2nd round at Bzzy, but I did have a sub lost there once. They got back to me about 2 weeks after my query to say it had been rejected weeks before. Not saying that's the case for you! and hoping yours has been passed up - just a caution that you might want to query after the expected response time has passed.