Middling It

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
FYI the most recent response on DT is for a submission sent on Dec. 23rd. That's only 9 days after they opened. :/

RE: Cemetery D. The senior editor just mentioned on their forum that they've "probably read 50% at this point, so we're making progress!" Originally they'd claimed that they received over 800 submissions.

kd1984

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.oneperfectword.blogspot.com
It's been too long guys, and I'm deep in Middling with my only sub out right now. Unfortunately, work has become absolute hell lately, and this does not afford much time for creative endeavours. Awesome, right?

Anyway, after 90 days with my story EDF emailed me a rewrite request to which I complied, retooled, and resubmitted. Now, another 22 days have passed since I sent the rewrite.

Granted, it's not as if they have had my story for a year, but still 112 days at a token market is a bit frustrating....

Has anyone had any experience with how long a response on a rewrite request might take?

LolaVelo

Registered
Reaction score
KD - it's very nice to see you! I'm sorry work has been so hard - and I hope you get more time to get back to your terrific writing soon. (And yes 112 at a token market seems way too long, but... more and more the norm...)

:)

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with how long a response on a rewrite request might take?

After 90-days to receive a response, 22 for the rewrite doesn't seem too out of line. Apparently they don't move too fast there. I also have a rewrite at about 25-days, though the circumstances are a bit different and less straight forward. Total submission is over 100-days now. Probably wouldn't hurt to query at 30-days if you want, though.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
So, I started thinking it had been a while since I subbed a story to Kaleidotrope. Checked my outgoing emails and discovered I'd actually subbed it to them twice in January. Once at the beginning of the month, and then again at the end of the month.

Oops.

Now I feel stupid, but it's also been three months since I subbed the story so I nudged.

Aggy, hoping they didn't immediately dump her into the "known twits" pile

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
I'd actually subbed it to them twice in January. Once at the beginning of the month, and then again at the end of the month.

Aggy, hoping they didn't immediately dump her into the "known twits" pile
Or maybe you should be expecting two acceptance letters, two contracts and two paychecks! Hey, you never know ...

Niccolo

Registered
Reaction score
It's been too long guys, and I'm deep in Middling with my only sub out right now. Unfortunately, work has become absolute hell lately, and this does not afford much time for creative endeavours. Awesome, right?

Anyway, after 90 days with my story EDF emailed me a rewrite request to which I complied, retooled, and resubmitted. Now, another 22 days have passed since I sent the rewrite.

Granted, it's not as if they have had my story for a year, but still 112 days at a token market is a bit frustrating....

I'm in the same exact boat as you. 108 days out total, 30 since the rewrite request. Good luck, KD. With any luck we'll be heading to braggage together :)

pyragelos

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the same exact boat as you. 108 days out total, 30 since the rewrite request. Good luck, KD. With any luck we'll be heading to braggage together :)

Same here, although a somewhat shorter wait (16 days now, 106 total). Good luck to both of you!

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
Passed up to second round at ASIM. This is my first submission to them, but from what I've heard on this forum, I can potentially settle in for a loooong wait if I make it to round three.

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats and good luck with all the bumps up at Waylines and ASIM everyone!

At least in round 3 at ASIM, they do return your work after three months if an editor doesn't pick it up. I've found they've held my work for a maximum of four months total (including rounds 1 and 2).

pyragelos

Registered
Reaction score
My Shock Totem submission just switched from Received to In-Progress (after 48 days). Is that good news (I guess it can't be bad news), or no news?

Also, a story held for consideration at Penumbra. Blood pressure rising...

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Get excited if it's still in progress in a few weeks or so.

Pyragelos, what PD said, but particularly if you notice rejections for stories submitted at the same time as yours. If it survives that batch of R's, that should mean it's got a yes or maybe tacked onto it. From what I've heard, you'll need three yeses for a sale.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pyragelos, what PD said, but particularly if you notice rejections for stories submitted at the same time as yours. If it survives that batch of R's, that should mean it's got a yes or maybe tacked onto it. From what I've heard, you'll need three yeses for a sale.

Curious, is that 3 out of 3? Or out of how many?

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Still waiting on my story at Waylines. I did query on Saturday since it had been three weeks since the second-round bump. Received a prompt reply on Sunday to say it was still under consideration.

Niccolo

Registered
Reaction score
*Sigh* Another rewrite request from Every Day Fiction, which is good, for the same story they already asked me to revise, which is discouraging.

First draft was underwhelming, the second is overwhelming. They said the first time it needed more flesh on its bones and now they say there's simply too much there.

Oh well. Off to the Beta Readers forum if anyone's willing to take a crack at a humor/horror piece.

pyragelos

Registered
Reaction score
Hang in there, Niccolo. EDF didn't take my rewritten piece after all; I wish better luck to you!

A Shimmer bump from Ms Tobler for me. Add this to the Penumba bump, and you get a very fragile person. *biting nails*