Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 31 of 58 FirstFirst ... 621252627282930313233343536374156 ... LastLast

Thread: Middling It

practical experience, FTW
    Good luck to all the middlers! KD, may the second straight time be the charm for both of us!
    New bare bones obligatory author's site: www.michaelwehunt.com

Benefactor Member alexshvartsman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by quovadis View Post
    Think I'm about to go mad! Have had a story at Electric Velocipede since December 22 - it's "under review," and rejections generally go out in 1-2 days. Then again, it's in *a* queue (perhaps the "recommended" queue, another poster suggested), and it's only dropped 20-odd spaces in ten days, and has been at the same place (50-something) for several of said days! Watching this second queue inch its way down...
    You've made it past the slush reader. John reads just a couple of stories a day. That's why the queue is ticking down so slowly

That's awesome, KD! Good luck!

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Quote Originally Posted by alexshvartsman View Post
    You've made it past the slush reader. John reads just a couple of stories a day. That's why the queue is ticking down so slowly
    Alex, thanks - that's what I thought/hoped! Still, frustrating to be at the same place in the queue for a week at a time! But I'll cross my fingers and hope EV bites...

practical experience, FTW Niccolo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonHeart View Post
    Not really related to publishing but I'm middling it in just about everything else when it comes to writing. In the middle of editing one story, in the middle of writing another story, and in the middle of those is one completed first draft. And I totally blame you guys because reading this subforum has inspired me to get back into the submission game.
    Welcome back I'm one of the new guys here.

As far as middling it goes, i just found out the next issue of Abomination Magazine has been put on hold "indefinitely" for personal reasons relating to the editor.

I hope everything works out for them, but this means the story I sent to them 43 days ago (their max response time is 45 days) probably hasn't even been read. They encouraged everyone with submitted work to send it elsewhere *large sigh*

Well on the plus side of things, I think I've finally found my niche, right at the corner of Horror Street and Science Fiction Avenue. Good things are bound to come eventually, right?

when near, manifests as far AW Moderator zanzjan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Niccolo View Post
    They encouraged everyone with submitted work to send it elsewhere *large sigh*
    Welcome Niccolo!

And yeah, that's a bummer, definitely sub it somewhere else. That's pretty much market-shorthand for "we're never going to look at all the stuff we've got".
    zanzjan.net - twitter - facebook
    2015: Tuesdays, Asimov's, March (read here!)
    2015 Sturgeon Award Finalist for Shatterdown (Asimov's, June 2014)

"Don't let yesterday use up too much of today." --Will Rogers

practical experience, FTW Niccolo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzjan View Post
    Welcome Niccolo!

And yeah, that's a bummer, definitely sub it somewhere else. That's pretty much market-shorthand for "we're never going to look at all the stuff we've got".
    Thanks And it's already been sent off to Waylines. I've only heard good things about them so far, so here's hoping.

More middling news: I've been informed I've made it to the final round at Nightfall Magazine and am a "serious contender." Between that and Apex middling this week, I'm going to have to start smoking again.

practical experience, FTW Project Deadlight's Avatar
    oooooh! Exciting! Which story?

Welcome, Niccolo, and good luck everyone middling!

O'Dandelo, I was wondering, did you get a confirmation when you first subbed to Nightfall? I subbed back in November, but didn't receive a confirmation, so I'm wondering now if I should query in case my sub got lost in the ether.

No, fihr, I didn't hear a peep until yesterday when I got the advancement email. I was at 50 days. I get the impression that they didn't send out confirmation emails.

Good luck with the middling!
    Blog

“Your head's like mine, like all our heads; big enough to contain every god and devil there ever was. Big enough to hold the weight of oceans and the turning stars.”
    Grant Morrison, The Invisibles, Vol. 1: Say You Want a Revolution

Quote Originally Posted by fihr View Post
    did you get a confirmation when you first subbed to Nightf@ll? I subbed back in November, but didn't receive a confirmation, so I'm wondering now if I should query in case my sub got lost in the ether.
    I'm out at 44 days at that market. When I queried on Facebook (to a post that said resubmit if you hadn't received confirmation or a response by a certain date) they said my story was in the queue and they'd get to me shortly. Not sure what to make of your sub at this point, but I don't suppose an email query would hurt your chances. They've been responding to subs younger than yours already. Hope it works out.
    Forthcoming:
    - "Bittersweet Bedlam" @ A Darke Phantastique Anthology, August 2014

Recent Publications:
    - "The (Zeroes and) Ones We Love" @ Ares Magazine, July 2014

- "Splotch of Red" @ DarkFuse Anthology Series, June 2014

Blog:
    Tales From Marz

Thanks O'Dandelo and Marzioli. Now that I know they don't send out confirmations, I'm not too fussed. But I may email them just to make sure they received it.

The force is strong in this one. williemeikle's Avatar
    Made it through the slush in NIGHTFALL magazine... now under consideration... and the waiting continues :-)

Willie, when did you get your notification and how long were you out, if you don't mind me asking?

For some thoroughly middling news of my own, my guest blog is up at Penumbra eMag. http://penumbraezine.blogspot.com/20...d-fiction.html.
    Forthcoming:
    - "Bittersweet Bedlam" @ A Darke Phantastique Anthology, August 2014

Recent Publications:
    - "The (Zeroes and) Ones We Love" @ Ares Magazine, July 2014

- "Splotch of Red" @ DarkFuse Anthology Series, June 2014

Blog:
    Tales From Marz

Oooh! Story percolating at C@m Obscura.

We’ll see what happens from here… Eliza C's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marzioli View Post
    For some thoroughly middling news of my own, my guest blog is up at Penumbra eMag. http://penumbraezine.blogspot.com/20...d-fiction.html.
    Hey, that's not middling - that's braggage! Conrats! I'll try to take a look at it this weekend.
    The Speculative Worlds of Liz Colter

Thiery's Sons, complete at 115k
    A Borrowed Hell, complete at 71k

We’ll see what happens from here… Eliza C's Avatar
    Some middling news finally - 2nd round bump at W@ylines.
    The Speculative Worlds of Liz Colter

Thiery's Sons, complete at 115k
    A Borrowed Hell, complete at 71k

practical experience, FTW kd1984's Avatar
    Has anyone heard anything lately from Untied Shoelaces? I have a sub out at 20 days with them, which is a bit longer than the norm, but at least according to DT (yes, I paid the money!), it looks their responses stalled out back in early January....

oldie turned newbie squeaky pram's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Project Deadlight View Post
    Oooh! Story percolating at C@m Obscura.
    May I ask how you know this? Did they contact you? I've got one subbed there but have yet to hear anything.

They have a log in on their page Squeaky and you can check the status. They have three stages, PENDING REVIEW, UNDER REVIEW (Or something similar) and PERCOLATING. I've only ever percolated once before. Let me know where yours is at.

oldie turned newbie squeaky pram's Avatar
    Thanks, PD. I just checked and guess what?? I'm coffee!!! Nice to share the pot with you, sir.

Do other places do this? I always see people on "middling it" and other threads talking about a submission's progress, and I never know how they know. Back when I used to submit (the 90s), it was the old stuff-it-in-an-envelope-and-forget-about-it method. Should I be checking the status on all my electronic subs?

Oh, btw, congratulations on your recent acceptance. Looking forward to the reveal.

practical experience, FTW kd1984's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by squeaky pram View Post
    Thanks, PD. I just checked and guess what?? I'm coffee!!! Nice to share the pot with you, sir.

Do other places do this? I always see people on "middling it" and other threads talking about a submission's progress, and I never know how they know. Back when I used to submit (the 90s), it was the old stuff-it-in-an-envelope-and-forget-about-it method. Should I be checking the status on all my electronic subs?

Oh, btw, congratulations on your recent acceptance. Looking forward to the reveal.
    For what it's worth, my middling news always comes at the end of an email letting me know that I've been passed up.

Hopefully it means we've made it through slush.

I tend to only report middling it if I've had an email saying I've been put through or if I know the market and have a good idea their submission system status means something more than the submission has been opened. For example I wouldn't report anything "In Progress" on Submittable.

I think if you're not in the habit of checking stati then don't start; I drive myself mad.

Page 31 of 58 FirstFirst ... 621252627282930313233343536374156 ... LastLast