Tin House - 66
Weird Tales - 38
Asimov's - 35
Abyss & Apex - 35
Redstone - 30
Luna Station Press - 25
Beneath Ceaseless Skies - 11
Lamplight - 11

Two of those are fledgling markets with no responses yet in Duotrope. >_< And, despite the varied range, there's a good possibility most of them could come back in the same week.

Aggy, off to write something new just in case

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Eck! 276 days.

My worst offending cricket is at 201 days at The Uninvited; I think they may have forgotten about the submissions, lol. Still waiting on WT and A&A, as well as others.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Eck! 276 days.

As Izz so helpfully pointed out to me the other day, if that story makes it through the first reader I'm probably looking at another 270+ days before I'll get a final answer. When they updated the submission guidelines at Tor.com in February they still had 14 stories under consideration that were PRE-September 2010. O_O

I do feel it's worth the wait, but part of me still gets a little :e2thud:

mhaynes

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
Rewrite Request today from Untied Shoelaces. So, I know what I'll be working on in the next couple of days.

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
Alex - I just read your 'second hundred' stats for UFO. 10 stories in round three (plus the 4 acceptances that I can see so far on Duotrope). I'm a numbers person too and like seeing the results, but I'm not sure if reading your updates makes me more excited or more nervous. :)
Kudos to you, though, for keeping up with the influx of submissions!

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Alex - I just read your 'second hundred' stats for UFO. 10 stories in round three (plus the 4 acceptances that I can see so far on Duotrope). I'm a numbers person too and like seeing the results, but I'm not sure if reading your updates makes me more excited or more nervous. :)
Kudos to you, though, for keeping up with the influx of submissions!

Eliza,

It's really hard to say whether you should be nervous yet. As of right now, we can fit all round 3 stories into the book. Having said that, there are almost two months left in the submission process and I'm reading 10+ stories per day. And having said THAT I haven't advanced anything else into round 3 since that blog post.

As a writer I would really appreciate the kind of transparency I'm shooting for from other markets, and I'm glad you're finding it interesting/useful.

Nathaniel Katz

The Evil Hat
Registered
Reaction score
Stupefying Stories bumped one of my pieces into the second round last month, which was rather encouraging. Has anyone here had much experience with them or with how long that second round lasts?

And I have now exceeded the standard time at Apex. Not by much at all, so I shouldn't be worrying. But I can't help it, because my last (and first) submission to them was lost in the ether for 8+ months...

Eliza C

Registered
Reaction score
As of right now, we can fit all round 3 stories into the book. Having said that, there are almost two months left in the submission process and I'm reading 10+ stories per day. And having said THAT I haven't advanced anything else into round 3 since that blog post.

Yeah - what I said - excited/nervous ;)
I do like keeping abreast of what's going on, though. Duotrope helps, but the more info from any market, the less I have to wonder. I wish more markets were so forthcoming.
10 stories a day? Hang onto your hat, I'll bet they flood in for the last couple weeks of August.:)

Eliza C

Registered
Reaction score
Stupefying Stories bumped one of my pieces into the second round last month, which was rather encouraging. Has anyone here had much experience with them or with how long that second round lasts?

And I have now exceeded the standard time at Apex. Not by much at all, so I shouldn't be worrying. But I can't help it, because my last (and first) submission to them was lost in the ether for 8+ months...

No personal experience with SS, but I also had a sub go astray at Apex. Never was found or responded to despite 2 queries -- but that was the old regime. Lynne Thomas and crew seem to be responding in a very timely fashion. Good luck with your sub.

Tienci

Lost in the Land of Giants
Registered
Reaction score
Penumbra still has my Poe submission, received Newmyths 2nd round notice for another.

I always feel like I'm jinxing myself when I mention such things; a rejectolanche must be on the way:eek:.

ETA: About 7 hrs after this post, Penumbra sent me an R. Ha!

Last edited:

Eliza C

Registered
Reaction score
Did anyone else here submit to the Fantasy-Faction anthology?
They were open to submissions for 5 months but haven't posted any rejections on Duotrope. (They closed to subs at the end of June with one acceptance a couple of months ago, nothing else). Duotrope reports 53 responses pending but their website says they got over 1700 subs. Starting to wonder if maybe they will only send notifications for acceptances...

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, good to hear, Project Deadlight.

I have only crickets. Happy with that (for now) though. It lets me get stuck into the rest of my writing without distraction, until I get restless at about the three month mark.

Nathaniel Katz

The Evil Hat
Registered
Reaction score
My girlfriend: "The play I just saw reminded me of that zombie short story you wrote..."

Me: "How so?"

As she answered, I idly flipped to my email and saw that Shimmer had just passed that very story up to the "full editorial board." :D

Eliza C

Registered
Reaction score
My girlfriend: "The play I just saw reminded me of that zombie short story you wrote..."

Me: "How so?"

As she answered, I idly flipped to my email and saw that Shimmer had just passed that very story up to the "full editorial board." :D

Cool!

Eliza C

Registered
Reaction score
Things over on the WotF forum have been exciting lately. Q1 -- the longest quarter ever due to KD's passing, finding a new coordinating judge, and the awards show in April -- finally wrapped up last Wed with the announcement of the winners. The two days before the winners were posted, there was the first tidal wave of rejections for Q2.
Last night the dam broke again. More rejections and then HM's.
This morning it sounds like finalist have been called, or at least some of them. All very hush, hush.
For me, crickets.
I got a confirmation e-mail on my sub in June, but so far, no rejection, no HM, no call. So it looks like either my sub got lost after all in the mayhem sometime after June, or I may have landed somewhere in the middle ground.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
I got a confirmation e-mail on my sub in June, but so far, no rejection, no HM, no call. So it looks like either my sub got lost after all in the mayhem sometime after June, or I may have landed somewhere in the middle ground.
Hopefully it's the latter. Good luck, fingers crossed for ya. ;)

Eliza C

Registered
Reaction score
Quote from UFO -- the fourth hundred: I predict a Darwinian struggle among the round 3 stories for a few remaining spots in September.

Ack! I really need to stop reading these updates.

(Four hundred subs already - wow, that's Herculean, Alex.)

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
I have 16 stories out. Six of my submissions are in the red on duotrope. Any day now...

Aggy B.

Registered
Reaction score

I didn't see this two weeks ago when you posted this or I would have said something then. But, yeah. I saw it today so....

I've subbed two stories to Stupefying Stories and both were accepted between the 60 - 70 day mark. Bruce was very good about answering polite queries regarding story status once I hit 60 days. (And he has made assurances on Facebook that querying like that does not "annoy the editor". At least not when the editor is him.)

I did not, however, receive a note to say when my stories went from first to second round so I can't say for sure how long it normally takes. Most responses seem to be pretty quick though.

Aggy, realizing you may have already gotten an R/A in the interim

Aggy B.

Registered
Reaction score
Cricket update:

The Hardest Kiss: Tor.com (303 days)
Mother: McSweeney's Quarterly Concern (105 days)
Vessels for Destruction: Weird Tales (65 days)
In the Cool of The Day: Abyss & Apex (62 days)
Love Like Dysphoria: Lamplight (38 days)
The Ant Thief: BCS (38 days)
+ 3 stories under a week out.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Only two more days until I can query Apex about my 58-day submission. I'm terrified that they've lost it :(.

Niccolo

Registered
Reaction score
To anyone who has submitted to One Buck Horror: how long did it take for your rejection/acceptance? 30 days is the query mark, and it hasn't been enarly that long for me, I'm just impatient curious.