Middling It

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Alex, Too funny! :D

Deadlight, good luck! I've never got off the first level.

UniversalExport

Registered
Reaction score
Mmmmm.. I recently sent a story out to Harper's, and it's been there now more than double the time the recent responses indicate on duotrope (responses range from a few days to a month or so, mine's been there two months). But! How to read those 20% non-responses that are listed? That's a lot, isn't it? Should one then just assume there won't ever be a response, and send it somewhere else? They also don't have any information on how and where to query.. :Shrug: Seems a bad deal, something along the lines of McSweeney's

alimay

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, just checked on a piece of flash fiction I had submitted to Shock Totem and it's switched from 'Received' to 'in-Porgress.' I was not prepared for how terrifying that is.

Ali

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, just checked on a piece of flash fiction I had submitted to Shock Totem and it's switched from 'Received' to 'in-Porgress.' I was not prepared for how terrifying that is.

Now settle in for a long wait. They switch to "In Progress" early on, but you could have another month with that status. My submission was "In Progress" for 32 days.

alimay

Registered
Reaction score
Now settle in for a long wait. They switch to "In Progress" early on, but you could have another month with that status. My submission was "In Progress" for 32 days.

Ah, okay then. I'll stop obsessively refreshing Hotmail every 30 seconds then. Every minute will do.

Ali

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mmmmm.. I recently sent a story out to Harper's, and it's been there now more than double the time the recent responses indicate on duotrope (responses range from a few days to a month or so, mine's been there two months). But! How to read those 20% non-responses that are listed? That's a lot, isn't it? Should one then just assume there won't ever be a response, and send it somewhere else? They also don't have any information on how and where to query.. :Shrug: Seems a bad deal, something along the lines of McSweeney's

Why not query at the submission address? It may not yield results, but there's no harm in trying and it's better than just giving up on the submission altogether.

d.thomaswise

Misanthropic Humanist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dthomaswise.blogspot.com
Story passed on to second round at Penumbra. Although, I've yet to encounter anyone whose story hasn't been, so I'm beginning to wonder whether they're simply engaging in a plan to reduce the amount of slush they receive by stringing authors along and then crushing their hopes, thereby causing flocks of writers to give up and take up macramé instead.

Insidious.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Story passed on to second round at Penumbra. Although, I've yet to encounter anyone whose story hasn't been, so I'm beginning to wonder whether they're simply engaging in a plan to reduce the amount of slush they receive by stringing authors along and then crushing their hopes, thereby causing flocks of writers to give up and take up macramé instead.

Insidious.
Conspiracy! Oh, they may also send them up to 2nd-round so writers don't have a chance to submit another horrendous story for the theme. Thus cutting down on their reading time and eye-bleeding.

They do seem to pass up quite a few stories to 2nd-round, but they also reject stories in the 1st-round. When I subbed for the animal issue, I was rejected in 7 days. :tongue

Tienci

Lost in the Land of Giants
Registered
Reaction score
'Middling it' since mid-late April with 2 pro markets: one, I'm prepared for a long wait and not getting my hopes up (as it seems almost everyone and their pets have made it to the 2nd round ;). Plus I've made 2nd round there before but ultimately got an R at the final round). The other market was a surprise and a long shot, but I'm still crossing my fingers. I'm just happy to have gotten to this point with this market honestly--it enforces my belief the story can be sold.

horrorshowjack

Professional Heretic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackcnemo.com
The editor accepted me for an anthology (my first), but the publisher has final cut so I might not make it in.

I wrote the story after dinner on the anthology's closing date, and it's in a genre I've never actually written before. I'm a little baffled, but it would be a nice end to the very long slump I've been on.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Story passed up to the final round at Drabblecast. I should have a final decision in 2-4 weeks. That was exactly the sort of good news I needed today!

Congratulations! But be prepared for a very long wait. The 2-4 weeks response time they suggest is rather... optimistic.

My story was passed up in December. I queried a few days ago, after 120 more days passed. They responded very promptly, but only to let me know that the story is still being considered and that I would hear back in a few more weeks.

sarahthegrey

Registered
Reaction score
Just got passed up to the second round for Penumbra. It's a good day. :)

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think it means a jot, but my CamObs sub is at 120 days and just switched from "Reading" to "Percolating." A change that isn't "Rejected" suits me.

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know, Project Deadlight. Sounds like your story must have some merit. I'd be encouraged by that.

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh yeah.

I subbed something to one of their Bridge things.

I remember that percolated too. I think it means that they are thinking about it.
It got very close (last round, apparently) but they chose something else instead.

So, fingers crossed for your sub!