Middling It

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Still crickets. Waiting on responses from Asimov's, Tin House, Mixer, Stupefying Stories. Ranging from slush to possibly under consideration.

kd1984

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.oneperfectword.blogspot.com
Aggy, your list impresses me! Hope I see you in Braggage very soon.

Just sent two of mine back out into the world. One to Ideomancer and the other to Buzzy Mag. ohpleaseohpleaseohplease!!

Working on finishing up another two that just won't seem to actually shut up and be finished.

I wish that I hadn't had to head back to work from vacation. I get so much writing done when I don't have to, you know, make money and stuff.

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
Just sent two of mine back out into the world. One to Ideomancer and the other to Buzzy Mag. ohpleaseohpleaseohplease!!

Buzzy just sent out 18 rejections today, and those are just the ones reported on Duotrope! They must have quite the queue backed up. I'm only on day 6 there myself. Good luck with yours!

kd1984

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.oneperfectword.blogspot.com
Buzzy just sent out 18 rejections today, and those are just the ones reported on Duotrope! They must have quite the queue backed up. I'm only on day 6 there myself. Good luck with yours!

I noticed that. Trying my best to just forget about them. Easier said than done, of course. Hoping I can congratulate you very soon!

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
The crickets are gathering...four days without any word on any of my stories. They're all just going to come at once, I know it :chair.

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
Think middling it has gone on a bit of a wander... To bring it back to purpose, I just had a story make round 2 at Untied Shoelaces! Fingers crossed!

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yay!!!

Fingers and toes crossed for you!

I didn't even know they had a round 2 :) I've never got that far.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bumped up to round 2 at DSF. Most of my stories resubmitted over the weekend. And the waiting begins anew.

GreenRoom

brain in a vat
VPXVI
Registered
Reaction score
I have a story in the 2nd round at ASIM (posting this should hurry my rejection back, right?), and a super old cricket at a pro sfwa market I won't name (I queried on it a few months ago, and it was passed up to the editor. Of course, now I fear he looked at it but just forgot to send me my rejection. I've begun to wonder what a good length of time is to wait before requerying after an initial query's been responded to. Must Be Patient!).

It's not a middling, but I sent my first ever submission to Lore the other day. It's always fun subbing to a new (for me) magazine.

Lizardmaker

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anneejohnson
Mrrrrg. In one of those periods of middling purgatory. Fourteen stories pending replies on Duotrope, most of which are past their expected response time. A picture book text at a publisher, past its response time. And a novel sequel that the publisher claimed he was excited to see, getting no response for weeks on end.

Eventually the balance will tip, and I'll be buried in R's or dancing in A's. Either way, I'm grateful for this thread right now.

Good luck fiddling through the middling, everyone.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bumped up to round 2 at ASIM. This happens a lot. Round 3 hasn't happened once yet, for me. We'll see how it goes this time.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Finally received a response from The Uninvited...after I queried them over two weeks ago. Apparently they've been going through a lot of changes. It's been sent to senior editing staff, but I don't know if that means anything or if they're just saying that because it may be another few months of waiting.

I'm wary of any zine that puts submissions on the back burner.

alimay

Registered
Reaction score
Sub now at 42 days with One Buck Horror. Umming and ahhing about whether I should query, but think I'll leave it a little longer, maybe until 50 days. Hope it's a good sign, and will just ignore the 46 day R they sent out a few days ago.

Ali

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ali,

I wouldn't qurery yet. I know they're a little behind and working to catch up at the moment. Give it till 60 days before querying, if you can stand the silence that long :)

alimay

Registered
Reaction score
Ali,

I wouldn't qurery yet. I know they're a little behind and working to catch up at the moment. Give it till 60 days before querying, if you can stand the silence that long :)

Yeah, I know you're right; I'll wait until 60 days. And it's really not that long. Fingers crossed it's a good sign, but don't want to get my hopes up.

Ali

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A hold request at ASIM. They say it will be a 2-3 month wait and there's about a 1 in 20 chance of actual acceptance at this point... Still, nice to get that far.

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
I have now been passed on to stage 3 at untied shoelaces. It seems that at each stage I have been forwarded by a different editor. There are three in total so I imagine there is one editor left to pass. It's like a computer game! Fun!

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
All right, Deadlight! Fingers crossed that you defeat the final boss! Remember, up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, A+B+start on the controller gives you invulnerability.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have now been passed on to stage 3 at untied shoelaces. It seems that at each stage I have been forwarded by a different editor. There are three in total so I imagine there is one editor left to pass. It's like a computer game! Fun!

How interesting. I thought that was a one (grouchy) guy operation.

Every time I think of their slush process, an image of the Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons invades my mind: "Worst... Submission... Ever!"