Middling It

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck Alma Matters!!! That's pretty cool that they let you know they like your story enough that they want to give it more consideration.

I'm pretty sure some of the places I have submissions have lost or forgotten my work. At first I was excited that my stories had escaped the rejection rounds posted on duotrope. But it gets to a point where it seems like something probably went wrong.

Cmalone

Registered
Reaction score
Received an email from Da1ly Sci Fi to let me know my story had made it to the second round. It might not go all the way, but it was a piece of flash fiction that I was unsure of and this has made me put a little more faith in it.

That's wonderful news! Good luck!

CharlyT

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.charlottehlee.com
I *think* I made into the second round at Apex, but I'm not positive since I didn't get a notification of such. However, when I look at the chart on SG it shows that they've moved on to responding to the newest reading period submissions, and there's a tiny row of purple left at the bottom of the previous reading period. My black dot is smack dab in the center of it. If I'm right, it'll be my first time passing through the first round at a pro market.

CharlyT

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.charlottehlee.com
And 15mins later I got the form R. :(

I *think* I made into the second round at Apex, but I'm not positive since I didn't get a notification of such. However, when I look at the chart on SG it shows that they've moved on to responding to the newest reading period submissions, and there's a tiny row of purple left at the bottom of the previous reading period. My black dot is smack dab in the center of it. If I'm right, it'll be my first time passing through the first round at a pro market.

- - - Updated - - -

And 15mins later I got the form R. :(

Cmalone

Registered
Reaction score
I'm starting to think one of my markets forgot to send me their R. (It would be the first time for this market, but not the first time a market in general has forgotten to inform me.) I was pretty hopeful before, but I'm feeling some mixed signals right now.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
I'm right there with you, Cmalone. I've been wondering the same thing about a few of my older subs.

Cmalone

Registered
Reaction score
You can always check their guidelines for when to nudge. I've had to do that a couple times.

I could query now per their guidelines, but as a personal rule I always give some extra time. There are a couple things that have made me do a double take and I hope I'm just reading too much into them.

mistri

Sneezy Member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
Recently when I've queried I have indeed missed a form R in the spam folder. Frustrating! I always find myself hoping once a submission becomes one of the oldest ones out.

Luxtizer

Registered
Reaction score
Ended up getting a rejection on that rewrite request. Disappointing, but it was nice that someone at least felt the story had some potential. Definitely time to move on to other projects, though.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Ended up getting a rejection on that rewrite request. Disappointing, but it was nice that someone at least felt the story had some potential. Definitely time to move on to other projects, though.

That's too bad, but hopefully you have an even stronger draft because of it to send to new places.

I'm really starting to really wonder if my submissions at a few places just aren't lost or overlooked. I've got a bunch of submissions in red territory on duotrope. I've got two that are just about a year old. I don't want to query because I also have those stories on submission at other places. And my guess is that all it would do is result in another form rejection anyway. Do you guys always query if a submission seems to be taking longer than expected? I don't know if I could do it.

Cmalone

Registered
Reaction score
I don't want to query because I also have those stories on submission at other places. And my guess is that all it would do is result in another form rejection anyway. Do you guys always query if a submission seems to be taking longer than expected? I don't know if I could do it.

Yes, but not immediately. If the guidelines say something to the effect of, "please wait 60 days before querying," I'll wait 90-120. I keep an eye on Gr1nder and the market's social media to see how fast/slow reports seem to be coming in and if they announce any delays. Writing is so competitive that markets always get swamped no matter how much they try to overestimate the submissions they'll get. I try to keep that in mind and give them time on top of their minimum. Unless you have a particularly open market where their guidelines specifically say to query after a certain point (and I check their guidelines periodically while I'm waiting because sometimes they update them - I had a market once that extended their minimum query time halfway through the original time period, so I went with the new guidelines), rather than just saying querying becomes an option, I give some leeway. Str@nge H0r1zons, for example, has this guideline:

We usually respond within a few weeks, but if you haven't heard from us within 40 days, please query immediately. You won't be rushing us along—most likely, we have responded, but the email's gone astray.

It's too bad more markets aren't like that, but alas. I almost never submit to markets that don't allow queries or may deny you by never responding to you because I don't feel it's fair or worth it to me. I cannot tie a story up indefinitely. I might as well query and get a rejection if that's what they're going to do so I can send it back out with no strings attached to someone else. More than likely (IMO), if a story has gone ages beyond the minimum time that it's okay to query and you haven't heard peep from the market (either to contact you directly or a general announcement on their social media to say they're behind), it's already been rejected or there was an error in it being received in the first place. I've run into that more than once and thank goodness I queried because I'd still have stories out today thanks to digital or human errors.

Last edited:

William Green

Registered
Reaction score
I would definitely query anything at the one year mark. I've run into situations in the past where stories went missing/got forgotten.

Cmalone

Registered
Reaction score
I've been watching Rs coming in for subs that came in after mine in one of my markets. My pessimist side is saying the readers are just jumping around the queue, but I hope it's a middling sign.

CharlyT

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.charlottehlee.com
I've been watching Rs coming in for subs that came in after mine in one of my markets. My pessimist side is saying the readers are just jumping around the queue, but I hope it's a middling sign.

I hear ya... The one I'm watching most closely just now is a Submittable sub (so unlikely to be lost in the shuffle), and all their latest rejections have been between 2-14 days while I'm sitting at 32 days. I haven't had an acceptance since October so each time my hopes starting getting up now, it starts to seriously hammer away at my commitment when the R finally rolls in. Hopefully, it really is in serious consideration as they say anything over 14 days is on their website. Even just an 'almost, but we hate to say no' message would be a much needed shot in the arm.

CharlyT

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.charlottehlee.com
Yay? I just got a notice from NewMyths that I've been shortlisted within a couple of hours of submitting. Downside? Deadline for final decisions is Apr 30, so I've got a 2 month wait to chew my nails through.

Cmalone

Registered
Reaction score
Yay? I just got a notice from NewMyths that I've been shortlisted within a couple of hours of submitting. Downside? Deadline for final decisions is Apr 30, so I've got a 2 month wait to chew my nails through.

Wow, nice job and good luck!

CharlyT

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.charlottehlee.com
It looks like I'm ending up here more often lately - I have no idea if that's a good thing or not, lol.

I've gotten a rewrite request from Metaphorosis, and for the first time I feel like I may actually end up with an acceptance at the end of it. In the past whenever I've gotten a rewrite request, the notes were too vague for me to understand what the editor was looking for. This time I got some FANTASTIC - and specific - feedback that I think I'll actually be able to apply in a meaningful way.

fairphyllis

Registered
Reaction score
It looks like I'm ending up here more often lately - I have no idea if that's a good thing or not, lol.

I've gotten a rewrite request from Metaphorosis, and for the first time I feel like I may actually end up with an acceptance at the end of it. In the past whenever I've gotten a rewrite request, the notes were too vague for me to understand what the editor was looking for. This time I got some FANTASTIC - and specific - feedback that I think I'll actually be able to apply in a meaningful way.

That's great! I haven't subbed to them yet but they are definitely on my wish list especially after reading this post.

I am really struggling with the patience aspect of this game! I currently have seven submissions out, and no acceptances yet, and I just really really want something to happen!! Usually I'm pretty good at channeling that into writing more, if only because the more you have out, the less you obsess over any one particular piece. But today it's pouring rain and I'm feeling a little sad and getting anxious. Sigh.

CharlyT

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.charlottehlee.com
I got notice yesterday from Tesseracts 21 that my sub has been added to the longlist! I'm thrilled to have made it through the first round of an anthology series I've read almost every year for as long as I can remember. :)

Sara K.

Registered
Reaction score
I got notice yesterday from Tesseracts 21 that my sub has been added to the longlist! I'm thrilled to have made it through the first round of an anthology series I've read almost every year for as long as I can remember. :)
Awesome - you seem to be full of good news lately! I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Whatever happened with the rewrite request from Metamorphosis?