Middling It

AbsintheWhisper

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your help Eliza! I sent a query to Plasma Frequency, but not reply yet. I don't know how long these things usually take. It seems like the magazine hasn't done anything since May. I even checked twitter and nothing new since then. So I'm waiting. I got a few Rs last week, but was having too much fun with my visiting daughter and granddaughter to report much online.

On another good note, I got an email from Apex this morning saying they were holding the latest story I submitted for consideration. Second time with them. There was only a little celebrating lol.

Ty Schalter

Registered
Reaction score
On another good note, I got an email from Apex this morning saying they were holding the latest story I submitted for consideration. Second time with them. There was only a little celebrating lol.

Best of luck with PF...and yay, Apex bump! Apex bumps definitely worth celebrating.

Peace
Ty

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone heard anything from Phobos since the Deep Black Sea call ended? I know it's only been a week, but I'm not seeing anything about them on The Grinder since the beginning of July.

DetectiveFork

Registered
Reaction score
In your experience, does Apex have different slush piles that move at different rates? I see rejections for stories that have been out as long as mine, but I'm still pretty far back in the queue.

Ty Schalter

Registered
Reaction score
In your experience, does Apex have different slush piles that move at different rates? I see rejections for stories that have been out as long as mine, but I'm still pretty far back in the queue.

Very much so. They have a pretty big team of first readers, so it's more like twelve little piles than one big one. They also typically send bump notices, so if a first reader has passed it up you'll probably be told.

Peace
Ty

DetectiveFork

Registered
Reaction score
Very much so. They have a pretty big team of first readers, so it's more like twelve little piles than one big one. They also typically send bump notices, so if a first reader has passed it up you'll probably be told.

Peace
Ty

Thanks for the info, Ty. I wonder if the queue number really means much?

(Seems like mine hasn't been read yet.)

bexxs

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, Ty. I wonder if the queue number really means much? (Seems like mine hasn't been read yet.)
If it helps, I just got a second-read notice and at that point my story was around #100 in the queue. So I'd guess that under 100ish are stories in the second-read pile. Above that, I think it is a matter of individual slush readers.

DetectiveFork

Registered
Reaction score
If it helps, I just got a second-read notice and at that point my story was around #100 in the queue. So I'd guess that under 100ish are stories in the second-read pile. Above that, I think it is a matter of individual slush readers.

That does help, actually. I'm in the mid-100s, so I imagine I'll hear either way shortly. I wasn't sure if it needed to get a lot lower in the queue before receiving a response.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
BTW, seeing some responses on The Submission Grinder from Phobos now. All of them are still younger than mine, but significantly older than mine was when I got a second round notice. Not sure if they got slower with the slush Rs or if this means I've moved further up in the stack. But there is movement now, so I'll just sit tight.

pdichellis

Murder! You want fries with that?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
murderandfries.wordpress.com
Got a shortlist notice from a cool horror anthology. Editor gave some really complimentary words about the story, but also noted he'd already accepted a couple of stories in a similar vein. So it's maybe sort of a definite maybe, sort of, but it definitely works for now.

AbsintheWhisper

Registered
Reaction score
I'm officially middling it in three different magazines now. I haven't heard anything from Plasma Frequency. I sent a query about a month ago, but still nothing. I'm afraid they're having problems or something. They seem to have dropped of the face of the planet. I'm still waiting to hear back on the second read at Apex, and I just got an email from Uncanny saying my story there has been sent on. Major first for me so celebrations shall ensue.

Ty Schalter

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I usually don't post in Middling It unless I get an actual bump notice, but the piece that got bumped at Cast of Wonders has spent the last 137 days at Cicada. They've been consistently sending out forms in 2-4 weeks throughout. At the Grinder, it's basically the only purple stripe in a sea of red that stretches from February to July. At this point, it's either under heavy consideration or lost--and they use Submittable, so it basically can't be lost.

I am really really really really really hoping.

Peace
Ty

Last edited:

Alma Matters

Registered
Reaction score
Great news Ty. Heres hoping!

I have a question regarding Cl@rk3sW0r1d submissions and wasn't sure where to put it - but here felt like a good place. Do all stories go to the "Under Review: Second Round" phase? I initially got very excited and then thought I had best check this.

mistri

Sneezy Member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
Good luck Ty!

And Alma I'm pretty sure that is worth some excitement! (but someone else will know for sure)

Ty Schalter

Registered
Reaction score
I am really really really really really hoping.

I summoned the R. Form, but maybe it's not the lowest? They "carefully" reviewed my material, but it isn't "quite" right for their magazine. I'm taking solace in weasel words and, later tonight, this coffee porter I picked up.

Peace
Ty

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Rats. Sorry, Ty.

I have a question regarding Cl@rk3sW0r1d submissions and wasn't sure where to put it - but here felt like a good place. Do all stories go to the "Under Review: Second Round" phase? I initially got very excited and then thought I had best check this.

I feel like I'm not understanding the question. No market that I know of tells every submission they're going to a second round of consideration. Is that what you mean?

Alma Matters

Registered
Reaction score
Hi JJ Litke. Sorry for the confusion, however you did answer my question. Thanks!

Basically I have a piece "Under Review: Second Round" and wanted to check it was an actual bump - not just something all submissions go through. I did think it was a bump, but was scared to get excited. Hey - It is still a total long shot, but it's encouraging...