Spanish Civil War - anybody?

Mud

Erm...what was the question?
Registered
Reaction score
I have nearly completed a book based on the Spanish Civil War.

Does anybody know where in Spain the aircraft were based which bombed Malaga prior to its fall in February 1937?

Yeah, I know - geeky :Shrug:... but what can I do, I need to know?

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Mud, I did a quick Google search and saw that the Luftwaffe apparently bombed Malaga in February, 1937. Is that what you're talking about? Basically, can you give us a few more details to help with your question? Puma

Dave Hardy

Don't let your deal go down,
Registered
Reaction score
Osprey's book on the Condor Legion mentions Leon as the legion's main logistics base. But that wouldn't necessarily have been where the bombers were making sorties from.

I take it Hugh Thomas's book doesn't mention that detail?

donroc

Historicals and Horror rule
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
Osprey's book on the Condor Legion mentions Leon as the legion's main logistics base. But that wouldn't necessarily have been where the bombers were making sorties from.

I take it Hugh Thomas's book doesn't mention that detail?

Any history of the Luftwaffe or their fighter aces of WWII should give you enough information.

Dave Hardy

Registered
Reaction score
Don't forget there were Italian pilots serving in Spain as well as, well, Spanish ones. So really the issue is the base of the Spanish Nationalist Air Force during the Malaga offensive.

That's a pretty detailed question. I like a challenge though. OP may know more on the topic than the rest of us! ;-)

Dave Hardy

Registered
Reaction score
Patrick Laureau in his book on the Condor Legion only mentions AS-88, a seaplane unit that seems to have been in Cadiz in relation to attacks on Malaga. They moved into Malaga when the city fell. So, I'm guessing other units, not necessarily CL, were supporting the advance on Malaga.

Mud

Registered
Reaction score
A big thanks to all of you who have taken the time to answer.

According to Gamel Woolsey's’ Death's Other Kingdom’ the bombing went on for some considerable time and intensity before the fall of Malaga on 8th February 1937.

My story is set in Estepona, between Gibraltar and Malaga.
The protagonists wait until the grape harvest in October1936 before leaving for the defence of Malaga. I need to know if the bombers passed over Estepona as it would have a considerable effect on their decision making and consequent effect on those who don't go but watch the bombers pass overhead.

1. Franco’s troops landed in Cadiz from Morocco. The land assault’s headquarters were in Seville. Flights from these citys would fly over Estepona.
2. It was the Italian airforce which bombed Malaga.
3. Apart from Cadiz and Seville, Majorca was used as a base by the Italians.
4. If you think about it, it would be easier to deliver the bombs to Majorca by boat from Italy than to take them to Cadiz, load up the bombers to double back to Malaga. However, bombers leaving Majorca would add 200 kilometres to a bomb-run.
5. Neither Hugh Thomas nor Antony Beevor mentions much about the bombing and certainly not where the bombers were based.
6. Gamel Woosley’s account is that of an eye witness and I must assume she was accurate in her descriptions of the intensity of the air raids.

Captain Scarf

Smart-casual Ninja
Registered
Reaction score
Paul Preston is well worth a read. Though he's probably better on the politics and social upheaval than on the details of where units were stationed.

Is it vital that you have an exact location?

Captain Scarf

Smart-casual Ninja
Registered
Reaction score
The best I can find out for you is that the Italian air force in Spain (The Aviazione Legionaria) were primarily based on Majorca and headquatered at Son Bonet Aerodrome. I'm guessing you already new that. Sorry I can't be more help.

Mud

Registered
Reaction score
Is it vital that you have an exact location?

No not vital to know the exact location, but I need to know if they flew over Estepona on the way to bomb Malaga.

My guess is they flew from Majorca - logistically it would be the sensible thing to do.

Thanks everybody I guess I'll try Paul Preston - or just make it up (shriek!).