Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has participating in forums like AW helped cure your writer's block?

Impractical Fantasy Animal sunandshadow's Avatar
    I'm not sure writer's block has a cure, but I think being a regular participant at this forum has helped me stress less about it.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    I won't say it's helped with writer's block, and I suppose it has caused some distraction, but I like above all the sense that I don't feel so alone. Friends ask me about my writing, and I appreciate their support and interest, but I sound like I'm whining if I complain that agents are slow to get back to me or that, despite mostly liking what I have, I know I have to rewrite two chapters. Forum people have those same hassles, and it's a big help to be reminded of that every time I log in.

practical experience, FTW REMLIG's Avatar

Thumbs up

This forum has helped me a lot. It keeps me focused and when I need help with some direction I can post a tread or find an answer reading posts.

practical experience, FTW Sunflowerrei's Avatar
    I don't remember the last time I had a true problem with writer's block. It was more like lack of motivation and laziness. I've done NaNoWriMo twice and the forums are amazing and they sort of die down when it's not November. It's a community. I think writing can be isolating and we all need a community. It's why I joined, anyway.
    Pearl is now available on Amazon.

Current Projects: Novel, Victorian London/modern day New York.

Blog: The Sunflower's Scribbles | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads

practical experience, FTW cmtruesd's Avatar
    This forum has helped because I see tons of other writers who are having the same problems as me. So, when writers block hits I am able to say to myself "Okay, this doesn't mean I'm a horrible writer and am not meant to write another word for the rest of my life, it's normal." Then I'm able to get over myself and keep going
    Follow me for a good time @CMWritesYA

Current WIP: YA fantasy-- 63,000 out of 95,000 words completed (first draft)

The Armorium Key: YA fantasy 96k-- Taking a breather

You can never get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me." -- C.S. Lewis

CRogers
    I joined today for this very reason - not block so much as daily-life exhaustion that makes it difficult to be motivated. Hopefully, it'll help.

practical experience, FTW Sirion's Avatar
    Browsing AW does tend to cure my writer's block.

On the other hand, the hundreds of hours I've spent on these forums over the years has probably cost me more writing time than writer's block ever has.

Oh well.

I actually feel the same. It's great to talk about writing, and hearing other peoples ideas makes me relate to my own and can definitely help. I've been getting a ton of inspiration here, it's great.
    And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
    And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
    Get over your hill and see what you find there,
    With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Stop, drop, and revolt! amblack's Avatar
    It has offered me writing variety and insight. It also keeps me focused on being a business, a brand, and a career path instead of just a hobby. There is absolutely nothing wrong with writing being a hobby, but my own personal goal is for it to be a career.

practical experience, FTW rwm4768's Avatar
    I think it has helped. Seeing what other people are writing has given me a lot of ideas. The more ideas I know, the more I can mix and match them to come up with something new.

Banned
    I feel that when I chat with another writer, I actually have a voice. I feel that like an astronaut greeting an extraterrestrial.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12