The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Ezine] Howl at the Moon

[Ezine] Howl at the Moon

Replied to another ad today, requesting submission requirements for a new ezine called "Howl at the Moon".

Their reply looks just like what I got from "The Rag", as discussed in this previous thread.

Except -- they're charging $7, instead of $3.

But they're using the same kind of line:
    Quote Originally Posted by Howl at the Moon
    There is a $7 fee for online submissions. Why? We just can't deal with paper submissions, for logistical/management purposes, and they end up costing the author more than $7 to print and ship anyway. There is a cost associated with us handling submissions and we hope to actually cover our cost. By making the submission process revenue neutral we can offer a higher payout for accepted submissions.
    So they seem to be saying: A) Their costs of operation include a cost for looking at submissions that comes out to $7 per submission; and B) Instead of paying for their costs of operation through revenues from their customers (subscribers), like a normal business, they prefer to get money from the vendors who provide them with their stock (writers).

Oddly enough, their Submission page gives the size limit for short stories as "15 pages", rather than a wordcount. (It also says, "Single or double spacing", which would make a difference of a couple hundred words per page, easy.)
    Fiction blog as Manuel Royal: Donnetown Today or Recently (or a Long Time Ago)

Fiction column under my real name: Welcome to Smyrnings ; continued as Spland of the Splost

Six-minute YouTube video produced by SandJack from my short script (NSFW): Make The Baby

Okay; sent them an email, and got this response (from "Robert St. Clair"):
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert St. Clair
    Steven…..your lack of knowledge is over whelming…! I am a published Author….the last submission I sent to my Literary agent in New Orleans cost me $14.00
    Our Magazine is a wonderful opportunity for Authors to make a little money…..Take your foot out of your mouth & educate yourself ……
    Adios
    I think he's saying that it cost him $14.00 postage the last time he mailed a manuscript to his agent. With, I guess, the implication that somehow this justifies making a writer pay $7 for the privilege of emailing a short story submission.

Fiction column under my real name: Welcome to Smyrnings ; continued as Spland of the Splost

Six-minute YouTube video produced by SandJack from my short script (NSFW): Make The Baby

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    An eZine without a website ...?
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Quote Originally Posted by CaoPaux View Post
    An eZine without a website ...?
    All I could find is their submission page.

I think it's the same deal as with The Rag: they haven't actually had an issue appear yet, but supposedly they're somehow getting paid subscriptions ahead of time. And I can't help wondering whether they've actually gotten any paid subscriptions, and how much they've taken in from writers.

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly. SuperModerator Williebee's Avatar
    My doubts have doubts.
    This morning the sun came up.
    Just like yesterday, and tomorrow.
    Face the day, not the darkness.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Submishmash page is gone, and I find no other mention of this alleged ezine.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Hm. It is kind of looking nonexistent. I wonder if they've already collected submission fees, and if so how many, and if so what became of them ....

Is it my fault? Did (published Author) Robert St. Clair go away because I was bad?

Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
    Just saw this thread. That "Robert St.Clair" sure had an attitude. And his use of capitalization was...unique.