• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Barefoot Books, Inc.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone has any info about the publisher Barefoot Books. They're currently not open to submission, but they also function as a direct sales company, apparently.

http://www.barefootbooks.com/

At a book fair I went to recently one of their sales reps had a table set up with a lot of attractive books. She makes a commission on each sale (I didn't ask specifics). They only handle children's books. I just looked at a couple of them (I don't have kids to buy for) and they looked pretty good.

This is from their "Core Values" page:

Imagine
We offer books that are an authentic alternative to the commercialization of childhood. We encourage children to make time for make-believe, let their imaginations run wild and free, while never forgetting that childhood is a time for fun.

Explore
We help children explore other cultures, our planet, and themselves, providing them with ways to follow their imaginations on extraordinary journeys, both inner and outer.

Create
We believe that books with beautiful art and meaningful stories respect the innate wisdom of children and have the power to nourish the creative spark in everyone.

Connect
We are committed to using story to create deep and lasting connections—whether it’s a child and parent connecting over a book; a child connecting to the universal wisdom of other cultures; or a broad network of people connecting through shared values and the desire to help children become happy, engaged members of a global community.

Give Back
We support organizations that share our goals of global understanding, empowering children through art and story, and protecting and preserving the earth for future generations.

Has anyone worked with them, either as a writer or illustrator, or as a sales person? I know there will be the usual caveats about MLM companies (I think that's what this is, though I'm not sure).

Thanks.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I've not worked with them, but I've seen their books in Waterstones and I own one. It's a professional quality book. But I think they've been closed to submission for several years now, so it'll probably be hard to get an opening to submit to them.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, they're not taking submissions right now, apparently. But I was thinking about making being a sales agent for them. Since our Borders closed down, there's no local bookstore within 15 miles. I'm on the edge of rural, so for some people farther out, the closest bookstore could be 30 miles or more. Maybe I could fill a need? And make some money too.

I want to make sure they're a company whose products I would feel comfortable selling.

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
I sold Usborne for a while once and made some pretty good money. That might be worth looking it also. I only quit because it was too hard to keep up with the requests for shows with infant twins and two older kids. It's very low overhead. You don't have to build a collection. Your supervisor provides the books for shows and you can become an agent for school libraries.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
I know there will be the usual caveats about MLM companies (I think that's what this is, though I'm not sure).

An MLM company (the MLM stands for "multi-level marketing") is a company where individual salespeople get a percentage of the sales commissions from salespeople they recruit into the company. So you're being encouraged to sell product and to get other people into the company to sell product so that you can get a percentage of their commission.

It doesn't seem like that's what's going on here; this seems like a straight commission sales job a la Avon or Mary Kay.

Barefoot Books used to have a retail store near my house, and the quality of the books was lovely. If that kind of work appeals to you, I would just be sure that you had a decently large area as your exclusive domain, as market oversaturation is generally the pitfall of commission sales gigs.