Addressing a 15th C. Hungarian king's mother

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
I am stuck as to how King Matyas mother, Erzsebet Szilagy, would be addressed as by the public. My MC has a meeting with her, and this would be the only scene I have her in the novel. Queen Mother would not work because the phrase wasn't in use until the following century, in England. Her son Matyas was the first to become king in her family, and she is a widow. Would my MC address her as My Lady or Lady Erzsebet? Or is that not good enough of an address for a king's mother? I really have no clue.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
What were the titles being used by nobility in Hungary at the time, i.e., ones like Comte, Graf, Herzog, etc. go back, what were they in Hungary? And how / where in the chain of nobility did she fit in? That might be one solution. Another one would be to just call her the equivalent of my lady or lady in Hungarian. My initial thoughts. Puma

Kitti

procrastinatrix
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katotis.com
Looks to me like your character was a (hereditary) count before he became a king? In which case I'd expect your character's mother to still be the Countess so-and-so (or whatever the Hungarian version of the title Countess is). Or, like Puma said, "Lady" could also work as a generic form of address for a noblewoman.

Dave Hardy

Don't let your deal go down,
Registered
Reaction score
The king's mother might be a highness. I think also that it would be "Her Highness," transferring the possessive to the royal person.

I'm not sure how set in stone forms of address were, but I've come across plenty of examples of courtiers employing a more fulsome style. "My lady" is ok, but "my most noble lady," "the gracious and royal lady," "the illustrious and high-born lady whose very shadow I tremble with joy to approach..." etc.

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
Thank you all for replying. A little history on the woman, she was born into a relatively wealthy family and married the military hero Janos Hunyadi (of whom both he and Giovanni de Capistrano are remembered this day for they're win in Belgrade against the Turks by the ringing of the noon church bells). The Hunyadi family were virtually unknown in Hungary until Janos' military accomplishments. His son Matyas was elected king of Hungary, as were most kings, though if Janos or his eldest son Laszlo had lived, they would have been elected instead. I'm thinking the use of My Lady, or Lady Erzsebet may be what I go with for the time being unless I find something somewhere (or someone) that says otherwise.