The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Paperless Publishing

Paperless Publishing

This publisher sent me two unsolicited e-mails this week trying to find writers -- so I'm already not impressed. There were also errors in the e-mail, such as arbitrary capitalization, bad commas, and the confusion of "to" and "too." But I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread about them in case other people were looking for information.

They are calling themselves "a new online Ebook Publishing and Conversion service company." They might actually have some interesting books, some by big names, but it's hard to tell which are the books by actual big names and which are the books about famous people. I see no way to get more details about the individual titles. Their press information (limited as it is) says they are hoping to concentrate on "short form entertainment," such as short works on pop culture, and graphic novels.

This is their website:
    http://www.paperlesspub.com/

They were started by Jarred Weisfeld of Objective Entertainment. I see that they do already have a thread. Whooh, that looks like some interesting reading...
    THE Official FreakTM
    That's not me in my avatar. That's Papa Emeritus II and the Nameless Ghouls of Ghost
    -- AARlist2, my romance reader discussion group
    Dubbed "Cool Thread Starter Girl" by JeanneTGC

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    So, um, how is a person meant to learn more about the books and maybe buy them.
    Emily Veinglory

This is not a user title Deizelcore's Avatar
    Grammatical errors in an official e-mail? They'll will go far with their business, of that I'm sure.

In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
    I'm wondering why writers can't do this on their own, or through their publisher.
    Latest story in December 2013 issue of EQMM.

Eeyore was saying to himself, “This writing business. Pencils and what-not. Over-rated if you ask me. Silly stuff. Nothing in it.” A.A. Milne

Writers can certainly do it on their own, but it's fairly time-consuming.

Publishers who don't own the ebook rights to a title can't create an ebook of that title, and asking them to do it would involve creating a new contract that would almost certainly be less advantageous financially than paying a service to do the conversion. This could change if publishers started to do some kind of promotion for ebooks, but right now there's no value-add.

There are a lot of ebook conversion services that don't send out error-filled emails, I can assure you.
    Last edited by IceCreamEmpress; 10-22-2011 at 10:08 PM.

Find me at
    BookTweeting on Twitter
    for a book review a day, every day!
    JUST LAUNCHED:
    EbookCheapskate,
    where you'll find reviews of
    free and cheap ebooks (under $5 US)!

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    "Paperless Publishing and Skyhorse Publishing are teaming up to produce short form e-books to be turned into paperbacks to be produced simultaneously."

Shades of the paperless office, eh?
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    No activity since '12 (and store page is empty). Perhaps because Weisfeld became president of Start Publishing in Jan' 13.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: