Celeb Bio - Talent or Publisher First?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KelseyF

Registered
Reaction score
I want to write a biography on an actress who is becoming increasingly famous; a current "it" girl. There are no existing books on this person, however, she has quite an online fan base (so there is definitely an audience for a book about her).

My question is this: I picture the book as one of those smaller, fan-type books about her with lots of pictures and little facts. I would like to at the very least get an interview with her so that the ms isn't just a regurgitation of online facts. I've interviewed many celebrities before for newspaper articles and these are available to either her, her management, or publishers if they are interested. Who do I approach first - her management team saying that I would like to write her biography, this is what I have in mind, this is what I've done, and this is what I want (interviews, etc)., or do I first write a book proposal? My concern with contacting a publisher first is them questioning whether or not I have the support of the actress, though I can see how I would have the same problem going to the actress' manager first.

Please Help!!
Thank you in advance.

Kelsey

Mike Coombes

Guru
Registered
Reaction score
Website
writers.ktf-design.com
I don't know the answer to your question, but would suggest that having the celeb/management onside puts you 50% there, if said sleb is hot property.

My gripe (not a criticism - just an observation) is that biographies get written now before so-called celebrities do anything - celebrity is such a short-lived thing nowadays.

Time was when biogs were written towards the end of a person's life, when they had a lifetime of achievement behind them rather than a role in a soap or a couple of tepid records.

KelseyF

Registered
Reaction score
Mike, thanks so much for posting.

The fact that she is a rather new celebrity hasn't stopped crossing my mind. She is probably the best example of overnight success I have ever heard, and for what she is famous for now is pretty much her first acting job worth really mentioning. I'm not expecting this to be a 900 page tell-all, just an interesting read for her fans (and fans of her show). Before becoming an actress, this person has had an incredible life that includes adventures of volunteering and living in grass huts in the middle of the jungle, among countless other things.

So, yes, I am aware that it's definitely not the end of her life, or her career, but there are plenty of biographies that are much less than 900 pages of actors who are still on their climb to the top. This particular person is interesting, and a current "It" girl, so I definitely think there is room for information about her on the book store shelf.

Maybe I'm procrastinating, but after a few more tips on what my first step should be (I've already started on the first couple of chapters, begun outlining the book in its entirety, and made a list of questions I need answered to start filling in the blanks), I'll call her management team.

Thanks again Mike, and anyone else who has anything to add, please don't hesitate to post or PM me; all pieces of advice are very much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.