The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Raider Publishing / Purehaven Press

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar

Raider Publishing / Purehaven Press

Avast!

http://www.raiderpublishing.com/HomePage.html

And, yes, this is a former PA author.

Last edited by CaoPaux; 11-30-2005 at 03:20 AM. Reason: typo, what typo?
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

practical experience, FTW Toni1953's Avatar
    PA has spawned another clone????

For the love of all that is good and true in this world (and others)!

Their webpage is like one of those "find what's wrong in this picture" puzzles. Except in this instance you just circle the entire freaking page and you're done.
    Eggplant Literary Productions,
    A small electronic speculative fiction publisher.

Oh dear. Proofreading freebies for when he inevitably ends up here:

"Availablibility at Amazon, Barnes and Noble and all other major book retailers in both America and Europe"

"You will recieve Bi-monthy reports of Sales"

Any more, my rates are reasonable. As for the site itself.

"This company has been founded by a writer who has been through the system of some of the biggest publishers around today."

(goes to Amazon) I count two PublishAmericas, one AuthorHouse, and a group called Writers Club Press, which I'm pretty sure is iUniverse.

Yeessssssssssss....

Disritibution/Promotion:
    I feel God in this Chili's.
    -Pam Beesley

Wanna guess how I found it? Huh? Anyone?

*dramatic pause*

Google ad.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

They offer this:
    Pre-Production:

• Professional Proofreading
    • ISBN Number Attainment
    • Personal Assistant
    • Text Design
    • Layout
    I'm not sure which is the best part. ISBN Number is impressive, but the odd use of 'Attainment' runs it close.
    It's only missing a typo in "Professional Proofreading" for my joy to be complete.
    -Barbara
    will crit for rep points
    "Your commas are pretty good." TNH
    okay, I have a blog

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    All you need to know:

Publishing Fee (Basic):
    $ 499

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Oh dear. Proofreading freebies for when he inevitably ends up here:

"Availablibility at Amazon, Barnes and Noble and all other major book retailers in both America and Europe"
    Did you notice the graphic that it right next to that sentence? A shelf of books. I think my mind froze up at that point. (Don't worry all, an emergency dose of caffeine lubricated the synapses enough to get the old brain a workin' again.)

The torn envelope graphic beside Pre-production flummoxed me rather, too. Perhaps it's a koan and I'll eventually receive enlightenment?
    -Barbara
    will crit for rep points
    "Your commas are pretty good." TNH
    okay, I have a blog

but appreciated anyway... Unimportant's Avatar
    CaoPaux, if you'd like to dissect what looks like another PA clone:

http://www.midicibooks.net/faq.htm

I'm not CaoPaux. At first reading the front page they seem well meaning but clueless.

I especially liked this part:

Thirdly, we are planning to send out a copy of Book #1 to up to 100 literary agents. The idea being that they will all read all the stories and some of them will hopefully show interest in offering their services to selected authors, the ones they consider have merit or potential to go further.
    I have visions of Miss Snark doing a dance upon such a submission in her stiletto heels.

But then you get further down the page and learn that:

FOR ALL AUTHORS WHO PURCHASE 10 OR MORE BOOKS AS GIFTS FOR FAMILY AND FRIENDS, WE CAN NOW GUARANTEE TO ORGANIZE THE PRINTING SO THAT YOUR STORY WILL APPEAR FIRST IN THE BOOKS YOU RECEIVE... IT'S RATHER FIDDLY BUT IT CAN AND WILL BE DONE… I'LL JUST REPEAT THAT... WHEN YOU PURCHASE 10 OR MORE BOOKS, YOUR VERY OWN STORY WILL BE THE VERY FIRST STORY IN THE BOOKS WE SEND YOU...
    Which makes me very leery of their intentions.

If they actually go along with this plan of theirs book #1 would have 500 authors, they plan on selling book #1 for $29.90. So if one author bought into their special that's $299.00 right there. And how many other authors might buy into that?

Eeek!

The late, the great XThe NavigatorX mdin's Avatar
    It's run just like one of those poetry games where everyone gets accepted, and they make their money from people buying copies of their own books, but they don't seem to be hiding that fact except under the thin guise of spamming literary agents.

http://profiles.yahoo.com/midicibooks <--- there's a picture of the guy who runs Midici. How can you not like someone with leopard print wallpaper?

My Art

Quote Originally Posted by Unimportant
    CaoPaux, if you'd like to dissect what looks like another PA clone:

http://www.midicibooks.net/faq.htm
    Heh. I saw folks talking about this one on another board, and was considering offering it for slaughter here, too.

FWIW, this one doesn't strike me as the sort of well-intentioned if utterly gormless operation often founded by PA folks. This one has a whiff of deliberate pharming. I mean, c'mon...the founders couldn't find an agent for their SHORT STORY? They expect agents to be interested in an anthology of unknowns? Oh, and selling the books is not a priority, but if you buy a lot we'll bind your story in front? Can you say poetry.com? :faint:
    ICAO
    ---------

The late, the great XThe NavigatorX mdin's Avatar
    I just got this spam today.

Hi,

I spend some of my spare time browsing websites, especially those of Authors. I
    noted that you like writing fiction and as a result, I would like to invite you
    to take a look at The Midici Opportunity.

Here at Midici Books, we are now accepting submissions for good short fiction
    stories of between 750 and 1,000 words, to be considered for our forthcoming
    anthology called "Midici Fiction, Pot Pourri #1" to be released later this year
    and as suggested by the name of the book, many different genres are welcome.

We know that the publishing industry is a tough business and some Writers need a
    break so this is a great opportunity for those interested to showcase their work,
    or more likely, their labor of love.

The deadline for submissions is April 30. Places are filling fast!

You are also very welcome to pass this invitation on to any of your family
    members, friends or colleagues who you consider might also be interested in having
    a story published...
    full details are available on our Website...

Regards,
    CJ.
    (Chris J. King)

Our new website is now ready for viewing…

www.midicibooks.net

My Art

*snort* They've been spamming ezboards, too. It's neat how different communities react to it.
    ICAO
    ---------

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    A writer friend recommended the Midici thing so I sent a story, then I saw the proofs and details and withdrew it.
    Emily Veinglory

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    But I really like the idea of Pot Pourri. It could mean so many things. A Cambodian dictator. A creamy dessert baked in a little dish. Some really good weed.

- Victoria

oh dear me...

I normally don't post too much on the bewares board--well, okay, fine, I'm mostly a lurker who barely posts--but I couldn't help it after reading even the first paragraph (geez, buddy, calm down on the ellipses, you might hurt yourself) of this site.

The truth of the matter is, most publishers will give you less then ten percent of the royalties and some will even offer you as low as two percent of the overall sales of your book!!!
    (emphasis mine)

Let me tell you something--I'm a newb to publishing. Soon I'll be starting editing and revising my first novel, at which point I'll start sending it out, if it makes it out of the drawer. Let me emphasize, total newb. But even as a newb, I recognize that publishers don't give you a percentage of ROYALTIES. Your agent will takesome of your royalties, but royalties themselves are a set percentage of the book's sales that are given to the author (then you get into all the complicated stuff like net and gross, and don't worry, I'll wrap my mind around all that stuff before I start submitting).

Do you hear me, lurking fellow newbs? 'Cuz this is really stuff you should know, to avoid falling into a gaping hole in the ground. Read Victoria's and Miss Snark's blogs to find out more than you ever thought you could know (sorry girls, it's too late and I'm too tired to actually link anything, but I'm sure they can find it easily).

-kbax

Did you notice the one thing missing from Raider Publishing's web site?

Books!
    I should be writing. Now. I mean it.

Progress Report:
    Picture books (4): 52 rejections
    Short Stories/Poetry (7): 41 Rejections

SOLD! 3 poems to Highlights!

Looking for a writing group in eastern Pennsylvania? Click here!

Moderator In Name Only AW Moderator Roger J Carlson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spike
    Did you notice the one thing missing from Raider Publishing's web site?

Books!
    That shouldn't be a surprise. They don't sell books. They sell the dream of being published.

At least they admit they're a subsidy publisher.
    --Roger J. Carlson

Around
    Personally, I couldn't get over the misspelling in the FIRST SENTENCE.

Other Major Publishers may claim to care about their writers... but as we all know... actions speak louder then words!

So according to them, actions speak loud and then words speak afterward?
    Blog: Organized Chaos | Pinterest | Facebook | Website | Twitter

"Holy f*ck!" --Yummy Men & Kick Ass Chicks, on CHANGELING.

The public doesn't trust them. The government wants to control them. Being a superhero has never been this hard, especially for Tempest.--Coming April 22, 2013 from Pocket Star.

figuring it all out

Some Radar on Raider Publishing.

Raider Publishing according to its website, was created by Adam Salviani who modestly claims that he has attended book signings all over the world for his book. Adam Salviani titled his book, The Lost King. Now there was a prior The Lost King which happened to have been written by Rafael Sabatini who, also wrote the epic novels Captain Blood, and The Black Swan. That book was a 365 page hardcover published by the respected House of Stratus.
    Salviani's The Lost King is a 115 page childrens' paperback which retails for $16.95 and which was issued in January 2005 by PUBLISHAMERICA.LLLP
    Respectfully
    Stan Jozwiak

duckncvr
    Also, is it just me or does anyone else have underwear that are older than the owner of Raider Publishing?? I guess it shouldn't matter, but.. Though the mispellings give me a headache, for sure.

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    Still out there, still advertising via Google Ads. He's added an annoying Flash animation-with-music splash page.

The basic fee has gone up to $599.

Still a pay-to-play vanity.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast