Calling all beaders....you whoooooo

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Guess who gets to tramp around the Tucson Rock & Gem Show tomorrow...for her job. And go back next weekend, too.

Lucky duck! I did it once or twice with my mother and brother back in '70 and/or '71. We had a blast. And bought some geodes and other cheap things. It was a fraction of the size it is now. My recollection is that it was in one large building at the fairgrounds. Now it is scattered all over Tucson.

MM

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
It's freakin' huge now. Sadly, not much new or exciting at least at the shows I attended. One of the great offenders is iridescent drusy cabochons. Everybody seemed to have them. I liked them...four years ago. I bought *one*. I haven't used it yet.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Ohhh... I've been once. Friend of mine invited a bunch of us to stay over at her house and go with her one year. LOVED it! Bought my Kimberly Affleck bead there.

Perhaps in a few years I'll be able to go again.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Tuscon was insane again, and me with it (I went back down on Saturday and spent actual money.)

Shameless promo ahead for the jewelry findings company I work for. I didn't know about the ad and sale until today, alas, but it's a pretty funny 'Super B*wl Ad We'd Do If We Could Afford It' commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixTIN5bXEPI

Added: the owners of the company have extended the sale through 2/11/2016, so if any of you need Soft Flex wire, chain, sterling or gold-filled wire, components, and tools...check it out.

Last edited:

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
I think I've convinced myself to have a table at a local ComicCon...

Now I know I really am insane.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Yes, you are. I love fans, but they can be cheap bastards. At an art festival, a certain number of People With Money are wont to attend. Because Art. At smaller regional fan gatherings, that percentage can be startlingly less. I no longer try to sell at regional fan gatherings in the SW because for years it was such a losing gamble.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Oh I know. I have done a few craft fairs but its been a while. I rarely ever made much money. What I did make was some good contacts. That's how I ended up beading some vests for a gentleman and doing some regalia pieces. If I can I'd like to go back to doing more of that.

This is more of a practice run for me and a guaranteed get out of the house for a weekend and you know, meet people sort of deal. I've really been working alone too long. Starting to go nuts.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
*nods* I started slow and built up as my display got more professional. My best shows are usually the high end fine-art shows (like Three Rivers Pittsburgh), and oddly enough, Celtic festivals. People save money for the Celtic festival, and want a souvenir of their day, so they spend money. My prints sell better than my jewelry, normally, at Celtic festivals, but the one I did in Baltimore in November was an exception. I sold 5 of my larger Celtic knot necklaces (at about $200 each).

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
This isn't going to cost me much except in gathering the setup stuff. But I'm going to need it anyway at some point, so might as well start now. Good thing is I can use the same base elements for books as I can for artwork. It might draw in a slightly bigger crowd than with just one or the other. Will see though.

Which reminds me....

GD where do you get your prints made at?
I'm going to be doing some paintings starting this week but I'd like to do some prints too. I've got some digital artwork that would be perfect plus some sketches that would work too.

Last edited:

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
Shadow, I have been using WHCC for about 10 years. They are a small business located in Minnesota, with top customer service. You can upload your images (via ROES software, which is free), and the postage is included. You get it UPS second-day. If there is a problem, they fix it. They've even contacted me when I mistakenly uploaded a low-res image, making sure I meant to do that as it would have made a poor print.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Shadow, I have been using WHCC for about 10 years. They are a small business located in Minnesota, with top customer service. You can upload your images (via ROES software, which is free), and the postage is included. You get it UPS second-day. If there is a problem, they fix it. They've even contacted me when I mistakenly uploaded a low-res image, making sure I meant to do that as it would have made a poor print.

Sweet THANKS!

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
*sigh*

So with Dad being sick I'm holding off on doing the ComicCon. First, we'll be tight on cash because I'm dropping the dayjob. Second, who knows what's going to happen between now and then. I'd rather wait until later when things are clear before I commit to something like that.

Oh well, but that means I have a whole year to prepare! :D

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Huh. I may actually get to go to the Phx ComicCon. Trying to decide if I want the hassle of a table in Artists Alley.

ETA: No, I do not. I'd rather hang around in cosplay and be able to vanish when the crowd gets to me. Can't do that if I'm selling.

In other bead news, the White Henna neckform I made back in summer looks insanely pretty on Handmade with my jewelry. I'd worried that the form might be too garish, but the patterns are barely there.

Last edited:

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Well it looks like I'll have m ore crafting and writing soon in the next 4-6 weeks. Turned in my resignation so I'll be able to help out with m dad.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Okay so weird. It ate my post.

But thanks. I'm making this an opportunity to finally get my freelancing and crafting off the ground.