Trying a new area to write....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christyp

Lizard Lady
Registered
Reaction score
I usually write downstairs, sprawled out on the couch. I'm currently setting up an area down there with my own couch, I sprayed a wall with chalk board paint, a dry erase board, etc. But, today, because of some medical issues, I'm writing at the dining room table. Instead of my usual candles, I have a lavender incense stick burning. Strangely enough, the change has jostled the creative juices!

Do you guys always write in the same place, or are you into changing things up? Just kind of curious!

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I write all over the place. In my office when I must, but I love getting out of the house to write, whether it's the library, the park, out in the deep woods, or wherever. A change of scenery is always a good thing.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
I have to watch my four-year-old daughter while I write, so my laptop is usually at the dining room table, but travels upstairs when she's watching a movie or playing a video game, to her room when she's in there, outside at times. I don't like to write in public--I always feel too self-conscious, which is bad for my creativity--and I don't feel a big benefit from moving spots.

But whatever works for you, works. Congrats on finding a new way to get things moving.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
I like to write while sitting on the sofa or at my desk in my home library. However, I do like to write in several places.

The other day while my significant other was doing his two hour radio show, I was in the lounge area writing as I listened to his show (and could smile at him through the soundproof sliding glass doors).

I have written in coffee shops, libraries, restaurants, an old-time motel room veranda (which overlooked the ocean), and other random places.

Last edited:

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
I generally write at my sofa in the living room but I do keep copies of my stuff on the Ipad as well so I can write anywhere. It's just that it's easier to take my writing time at night when I'm at home.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
Switching locations worked for me in school and it works for me now, too.

PEBKAC2

Will crit for food.
Registered
Reaction score
I used to write anywhere. On the bus, on the couch, at my desk, in the cafeteria, a coffee shop, etc. There are places I prefer just because I can carve out a bigger block of time, but otherwise it's all the same.

strawberryblondie

Registered
Reaction score
I usually write at my desk, but every now and then I'll sit on the couch or in bed instead. Changing spots is really helpful when I'm feeling blocked.

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
On sunny days I follow the sun. Well, the sun can't be directly on my laptop or I can't write, but I need to be in a sunny room or see the sunshine slanting in across the floor. On rainy days I just find a bright window. I roam all over when I write, an hour here, two hours there.

I would definitely have a hard time writing in a cave.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
I carry a notebook (you know - like spiral bound with sheets of paper?) and pens with me everywhere in case I find a moment to write, and also a digital voice recorder, and can write/observe or make notes anywhere, but the real writing and all the editing still happens at my desk.

Tedium

Le sigh.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can write just about anywhere, which is why I have a laptop. The funny thing is, I'm LEAST likely to get any work done in my designated office space.

Geez, I'm the same way. Anywhere but the desk. I like to pace a lot when I write, though, so I could be anywhere at anytime. That excludes anywhere public, though. I get excited and I get hyped up, so I try to keep out of the public eye.

Kelly - I feel too self-conscious to talk into a tape recorder in public. You don't have any issues with that? Or was it something you just learned to handle?

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Kelly - I feel too self-conscious to talk into a tape recorder in public. You don't have any issues with that? Or was it something you just learned to handle?

Oh no! I'm too self-conscious for that as well. I'll bet I use it more often driving along in the car than anywhere else... that's usually when all the good ideas and when the poems usually come... so at least then I can pretend I'm just singing along with the radio. ;) but I can't walk around in public and speak to it, they might think I'm crazy...

... but you know, that might not be a bad idea.

Storm Surge

Surfin'
Registered
Reaction score
Usually I'm at the dinning room table, but I write mostly longhand so the notebook goes with me almost everywhere. I'd like to be able to write at my desk more, but it's small and kind of, um, piled with junk right now and my chair isn't comfortable enough. I also have this weird requirement that wherever I write I have to be sitting straight up or leaning forward slightly. If I'm leaning back, I get nothing done at all. (Wish I knew why...)

Hiroko

Which of them was the machine?
Registered
Reaction score
Usually I write at my little desk, but I'd like roaming. Sometimes I just sit outside when the weather is right and write there; I'm also considering just picking a random, mostly quiet spot in my town and just sitting and having a writing session.

cmi0616

Registered
Reaction score
Ever since I bought a laptop, I've been almost obsessive about the place and time I write. It has to be in bed, with my lamp light very dim, late at night, usually around 11 or 12. Although, sometimes if I'm really hot on an idea, I do write a little earlier in the day/night. But it has to be in my bed. I'm weird like that, I guess. But that's only when I'm working on my novel. Poetry or short stories can be written almost anywhere, though I find it's better to write them by hand for some reason.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.