• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Harvey Klinger, Inc

DPRichard

Sockpuppet
Banned
Richard Paolinelli Sock
Reaction score
I queried Harvey Klinger in person and got a same day request for a full manuscript. After I got an offer from another agent, he rejected my manuscript with the following email:
"I took a look last night and it's a pass. Good luck with the other agent." No hello, no goodbye, no nothing.
Now, he might be the best agent on the planet, but I prefer someone less experienced with better manners.

P.S. I replied: Wow! Ok.
:)

Maybe its just me, but I am not really reading any rudeness on Mr. Klinger's part here.

Xeni@

Registered
Reaction score
You might be right. I guess the painful query process has made me overly touchy, but I felt awful when I received his message yesterday. Today I'm more "zen" about everything, so I don't find his response as bad as I did before :)

DPRichard

Sockpuppet
Banned
Richard Paolinelli Sock
Reaction score
You might be right. I guess the painful query process has made me overly touchy, but I felt awful when I received his message yesterday. Today I'm more "zen" about everything, so I don't find his response as bad as I did before :)

I hear ya. Just got rejection #32 today. Feeling battered and bruised all over and in ill humor. Comes with the territory I suppose. :e2shrug:

Xeni@

Registered
Reaction score
Just think of the author of "The Help": she got over sixty rejections and only one acceptance after more than five years of querying. One is all it takes!

I think that in this case, what bugged me was receiving a rejection of the manuscript itself. I didn't really care for query rejections, I read somewhere that agents go through 20 queries in 15 minutes, so it really is a question of timing and mood and luck.

But when the manuscript got rejected by Mr. Klinger without a "hello" or a "goodbye" or the usual "look, it's subjective, blah blah blah", I felt like he was saying that he read something awful and wasn't even willing to dedicate five minutes to writing a normal response. But I reacted out of my own insecurity, rather than his fault.

Fortunately, I do have my heart set on another agency, whose reaction was the very opposite of his.

bershka

Has anyone tried to query Sara Crowe via the form on agency's website?

I queried her 2 days ago and I haven't received a response.

Someone posted on another site that he/she queried her yesterday and received a form rejection today.

I'm thinking of querying her again by email next week if she doesn't get back to me.

JJPie

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone tried to query Sara Crowe via the form on agency's website?

I queried her 2 days ago and I haven't received a response.

Someone posted on another site that he/she queried her yesterday and received a form rejection today.

I'm thinking of querying her again by email next week if she doesn't get back to me.

I queried Sara Crowe through regular e-mail last week and no response yet.

bershka

Sara does receive submissions via Harvey Klinger website.

I queried her on 3/18 and received EQ on 3/31. Though she gave me rejected my query letter, she gave me a helpful rejection because of a contest.

If you are querying her, good luck!

JJPie

Registered
Reaction score
Sara does receive submissions via Harvey Klinger website.

I queried her on 3/18 and received EQ on 3/31. Though she gave me rejected my query letter, she gave me a helpful rejection because of a contest.

If you are querying her, good luck!

Thanks for the update bershka. I still haven't received a response yet.

shroud

Registered
Reaction score
A mausoleum near the nation's capitol, USA.
Baby steps

I recently finished my manuscript (my first) entitled The Dark Art, and sent out queries to 22 agents who represent works in the fantasy genre. I received one rejection via snail mail (SASE), later got two e-mail rejections in the same day, then another rejection by snail mail (again, SASE).

I just received an e-mail from Andrea Somberg at Harvey Klinger, Inc. requesting the first five pages to see if it's a good fit. I'll admit, I'm feeling pretty good about this, another step along the path, even though I know the overwhelming majority of submissions get rejected. Still...

BTW, most of the agents I queried were women. I'm used to being rejected by women, and so find it easier to accept. lol

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Andrea's standard submission package includes the first 5 pages so all she is asking is that you send her the std query.

geminirising

Registered
Reaction score
Heads up - there's a note from Sara Crowe on Twitter that she'll be closed to queries until fall for her upcoming maternity leave. She will not be responding to any queries received after Friday May 10.

Billtrumpet25

Registered
Reaction score
Try again. It was working a bit ago.

Still nothing. Keep getting "No Data Received" (Error 324 (net::ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE): The server closed the connection without sending any data.) on multiple browsers and different computers.

Billtrumpet25

Registered
Reaction score

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
I've used IE 10, Chrome, Safari, and Firefox. :(

I was using this link: http://www.harveyklinger.com/submissions.php

Thanks for your help. :)
You're quite welcome :)

That's the same link I gave you, hope it finally worked for you? And, you're using browsers I was going to suggest...Chrome being my next choice. I'll check back, later b/c, you guessed it, I've got to go once again! Ran out to run the pups, and it's time to fly. The only other thing I can think of is, it's an internet problem, as in w/ your provider, but that doesn't make sense b/c you're getting on this site?

If all else fails, try a friend's computer. Transfer you ql over to it.

Billtrumpet25

Registered
Reaction score
You're quite welcome :)

That's the same link I gave you, hope it finally worked for you? And, you're using browsers I was going to suggest...Chrome being my next choice. I'll check back, later b/c, you guessed it, I've got to go once again! Ran out to run the pups, and it's time to fly. The only other thing I can think of is, it's an internet problem, as in w/ your provider, but that doesn't make sense b/c you're getting on this site?

If all else fails, try a friend's computer. Transfer you ql over to it.

Figured out the problem....

Because of the form embedded into the site page, Kaspersky was flipping out and not letting the connection be made. :D

It works now, though. :PartySmil

Billtrumpet25

Registered
Reaction score
Terrific!!

Had a feeling you'd figure it out :D

Kaspersky is still throwing a temper tantrum regarding any .php sites, and every now and then it'll let me through. It's the Twilight Zone, I tell you! :D

I plan on querying Sara first, seeing as she will soon be going on maternity leave.

tbrosz

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Queried Sara yesterday (direct, not through the form). Got quick R today, so she's going through her pile.

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
Kaspersky is still throwing a temper tantrum regarding any .php sites, and every now and then it'll let me through. It's the Twilight Zone, I tell you! :D

I plan on querying Sara first, seeing as she will soon be going on maternity leave.
Twilight Zone can be fun, but not when you're querying :)

If you're going to send to Sara, don't wait, she's leaving on the 7th I believe?

Good luck!

I sent mine to Andrea. Nothing so far.

Queried Sara yesterday (direct, not through the form). Got quick R today, so she's going through her pile.
I went direct, too.

Sorry you got an R. Keep going-I am. The way I look at is, you/we only need one.

Have a great day :D And, stay positive :)