• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Harvey Klinger, Inc

paulcosca

The Paulest of all Coscas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paulcosca.com
Submitted a query to Andrea Somberg on Friday through the website, and I got a request for a partial on Monday. So that made Monday a little nicer.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Just in case anyone has missed it - it's come up a number of times, many pages back - Andrea Somberg's submission guidelines on her personal website ask for the first five pages in the body of the email along with the query. The Harvey Klinger website does not mention this.

I know, because I got a request for the first five pages from her this morning, then I read this thread... :)

Sheepie

Registered
Reaction score
Response Time For Full Manuscripts

Hi, I'm new, so I'm sorry if this isn't in the right section (I'm sure someone will move it if it isn't). I sent a full MSS to agent Sara Crowe in the beginning of June. She actually requested for it the same day I queried her (yay!). I haven't heard anything since. I looked on Query Tracker, but it looks like the responses aren't exactly in order. It's been over a month (August 9th will mark the 2nd month mark). I'm just wondering what the typical wait time is for a full and when it be appropriate to follow up? I don't want want to seem too pushy. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

poppyI

Registered
Reaction score
Received a 5 page request from Mrs. Andrea! my first one!! Don't you think 5 pages are not much though?

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
I just saw Sheepie's post, and I'm obviously a little late, but for anyone else who's wondering, Sara requests quickly but takes a long time on fulls. She had mine for five months before offering, and that's pretty typical for her.

Poppy, congrats on your first request! 5 pages isn't much but it's enough for an agent to know if she wants to see more.

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
Received a 5 page request from Mrs. Andrea! my first one!! Don't you think 5 pages are not much though?

Oooouch, I''m going to be the voice of DOOM and say that Andrea's submission requests explicitly state QUERY PLUS FIVE PAGES.

So everyone who sends a "query only" will be emailed back and asked to include the five pages.

She's nice enough to do that (or the intern to do it) I guess, many agents delete queries if they aren't correct to a T.

Just in case anyone has missed it - it's come up a number of times, many pages back - Andrea Somberg's submission guidelines on her personal website ask for the first five pages in the body of the email along with the query. The Harvey Klinger website does not mention this.

I know, because I got a request for the first five pages from her this morning, then I read this thread... :)

Good luck though!

Last edited:

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Sent Query plus 5 pages November 16th, received a form rejection today. I'm getting rather discouraged after eight years of this stuff...

Aw, man, that stinks, Chumplet. I wish I had some words of wisdom for you, but I don't. Kudos to you for persevering. We make a big deal out of NYT bestsellers and people whose manuscripts sell in two or three days for two or three hundred thousand dollars, but the real rock stars are the ones who hang in there month after month, year after year, taking rejection on the chin.

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
Thanks, Krista. I've seen over the years how long and hard the road can be. I'm truly happy for my fellow AWers who have busted through! I hope to follow them. However, it seems this agency isn't going to be "The One." Not for this book, anyway!

merlot143

Registered
Reaction score
If it helps any, I got a form R pretty quicly from Andrea.

TRezvani

Registered
Reaction score
I queried Andrea last year for a nonfiction project and received an incredibly nice rejection email. I think it was a form email, but it felt personal and was very polite. I just queried her yesterday for my novel. We'll see what happens. :) I wouldn't mind getting a rejection that was as nice as the last one! (Welllll maybe I would mind, but you know.)

UnbearableLight

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I queried Andrea Somberg back during June's #sffpit event. Unfortunately, it was a (seemingly? no feedback) form R, but a fast one. Sent 6/19, R received 6/25. Wish I could've gotten a bit of feedback, but that's just the nature of querying. I'd definitely query her again with a different work.

ItchyDog

Registered
Reaction score
I got a request from Andrea Somberg during #SFFPit 22 June 2017, and a very nice rejection today, 5 Jul 17. Just wanted to update the thread on the very quick turnaround time.
Back to the query mines for me. Maybe a few cuts to the 1st chapter too, but I'll wait a week or so before making that decision.

PointVirgule

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all, has anyone had recent experience working with Harvey Klinger himself (or know someone who has)? I'm so excited to have an offer of representation from him, but I'm trying to do some due diligence because I have a few other offers as well. I'm shocked and thankful to be in this position, but as grateful as I am for that, this is actually a really tough call to make and I want to give my first book the best possible chance for success.

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all, has anyone had recent experience working with Harvey Klinger himself (or know someone who has)? I'm so excited to have an offer of representation from him, but I'm trying to do some due diligence because I have a few other offers as well. I'm shocked and thankful to be in this position, but as grateful as I am for that, this is actually a really tough call to make and I want to give my first book the best possible chance for success.

Congratulations on the offers! My best piece of advice is to ask to call/e-mail one or two of each offering agent's clients. Most agents expect it, and good agents encourage it. There's no better way to find out how an agent operates behind the scenes.

PointVirgule

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you! I've taken your advice and am reaching out to a couple of clients of each of my top contenders today.

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
Queried Andrea Somberg after Twitter contest 'like':16.09.17
Request for partial/first three chapters: 20.09.17
Partial sent: 20.09.17
(ETA to add)Rejection with comments: 26.09.17

Ah well... feeling slumpy, but thems the breaks.

Last edited:

Scythian

Registered
Reaction score
Rejection one month and three days after query.

sisforspace

Registered
Reaction score
I was signed with Andrea Somberg for about 1.5 years. She was very sweet and an amazing advocate for the book, and she brought me some other paid writing opportunities. When that first book didn't sell, though, she kind of seemed to lose interest in any of my other ideas (I've heard this from other former clients). She also isn't editorial, if that's your preference. She's a lovely person and was a great champion for the book, but I'm now moving on to find a more editorial agent who wants to represent multiple books :)