Buy books by AWers

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 20 123456711 ... LastLast

Thread: [Agency] Harvey Klinger, Inc

Banned

[Agency] Harvey Klinger, Inc

Hi all,

I was wonder if anybody has heard anything bad or good about this Literary Agency? Here's the website if anyone would care to take a look, and let me know what you think.

www.harveyklinger.com/index.cfm

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    P&E says:

Harvey Klinger Agency: $ Recommended. a literary agency. (Harvey Klinger: Literary, Adult) Contact at:

Harvey Klinger Agency
    301 West 53d Street, Suite 13-B
    New York, New York 10019

Ooo! Shiny new cover! Absolute Sage Cathy C's Avatar
    Publisher's Marketplace lists sixteen books in various genres sold by this agency in the past six months. That's pretty darn good! The most prolific agents seem to be:

Sara Crowe
    Andrea Somberg
    Nikki Van De Car
    and of course, Harvey Klinger personally.

It seems that Harvey does the "significant deals" in the agency (defined by PM as $250,000-$500,000).

Query away!
    Want FREE reads? Click here!

Smiles!
    Cathy Clamp
    USA Today bestselling author
    ILLICIT, coming 7/16!
    My Website
    Follow me: Twitter
    Now on Facebook! Come friend me!

"An entertaining (and occasionally very dark) mystery." -- Locus

"[Shapeshifter] fans are about to hit the jackpot as Clamp returns to re-energize this amazing series. Searching for layered plotlines and complex characters? Look no further, as Clamp truly delivers!" -- RT BookReviews

"Cathy Clamp is a visionary author, creating new worlds that are both strong and vividly drawn. Adventure and excitement at its best." -- Yasmine Galenorn, New York Times Bestselling Author

"A struggling community under attack, compelling action, characters struggling with dark secrets ... FORBIDDEN hit all my favorite notes, and I love the rich world of the Sazi!" - Rachel Caine, New York Times Bestselling Author

I write stuff and break boards. dragonjax's Avatar
    A good friend of mine is repped by Harvey, and I have personal experience with Andrea. My friend is thrilled with him, and I have such respect and admiration for her. This is a terrific agency -- they have the connections, the sales, and the clout. I highly recommend it.
    "Undying Love," a short story by Jackie Kessler in FANTASY FOR GOOD - a charity anthology to help fight colon cancer

Who's going for a beer? waylander's Avatar
    I have a manuscript under review with Andrea Somberg at the moment. To date she has been very prompt and businesslike in her dealings with me and I would be delighted if she were to offer representation.

peisenberg

Harvey Klinger Agency

[QUOTE=Charlotte_Morgon]Hi all,

I was wonder if anybody has heard anything bad or good about this Literary Agency? Here's the website if anyone would care to take a look, and let me know what you think.

www.harveyklinger.com/index.cfm

peisenberg

Harvey Klinger Agency

I used Harvey Klinger for my last book, published by Morrow. I went to high school with Harvey a zillion years ago, and when I contacted him he graciously agreed to work with me. He worked hard on getting me a good deal, and his agency is honest and accurate with its accounting and payments. I have only the highest regard for his agency. Unfortunately, he chose not to represent me on my next book.

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    Andrea Somberg, previously an agent at Vigliano Associates and the Don Maass Agency, joined Harvey Klinger Inc. in the spring of 2005. She handles both fiction and non-fiction, including literary, commercial, young adult, genre (romance, mystery, sf/fantasy) memoir, pop-culture, how-to, self-help, humor, interior design, cookbooks, and health & fitness.

Harvey Klinger, Inc. began as a one-man, one office literary agency in October, 1977. Over the years, it has grown and expanded, and is widely recognized as among the top boutique literary agencies in the publishing industry.
    Publishers Marketplace

I got a rejection from Harvey Klinger, but they were very courteous and professional. I think it was one of the other agents who rejected me, and not Andrea Somberg. They are a legitimate agency.

Apryl

She reps Justine Musk, and she sent me a really warm, friendly reject after seeing my first five pages. So warm and friendly it made me really regret the reject, because she came off as being a great person to work with.
    http://www.staciakane.com

FIVE DOWN, a Downside anthology, available now!
    Four previously published short stories and one brand new novella, together in one volume.

Click here for more details.

WRONG WAYS DOWN available now!

Who's going for a beer? waylander's Avatar
    Andrea Somberg read the full manuscript of my fantasy novel and said many good things about it. She ultimately passed, but I got the impression we came pretty close to doing business. She was courteous and professional throughout and I would have been very happy to work with her.

I would just like to reiterate that Ms. Somberg seems a gem of an agent. She read my full within a month and gave me personalized comments in her rejection. Her kindness was a double-edged sword: it made me feel better about the rejection, but also made me regret her pass even more. I think she really takes that extra step for her clients.

My heart's a battleground Mystic Blossom's Avatar
    She rejected me very nicely as well, but I e-mailed her back asking if she would like to read it again after some rewrites, and she said yes, so at least there's that.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Same as everyone else above said. She responded to my NF proposal within one week and said she really appreciated my patience while waiting for a response. (Did you hear that, you agents who have said nothing for 3 months?!!) She gave compliments, helpful comments, and left me feeling like I had been rejected by a class act. *Sighs*

I'll add to the chorus of appreciation for Ms. Somberg's consideration. She rejected me (rightfully so, I might add) back in January. She was very nice and personal in her e-mail. I'm seriously thinking of querying her again now that there have been major revisions.
    Jodi locuta est; causa finita est.

Untitled: 2052/60,000

blog

"No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having a dog makes you rich. Louis Sabin

"No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does." Christopher Morley

My rejection email was pretty nice too.
    DD
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~
    I'm on MySpace:
    http://www.myspace.com/danidunnonline

My blog:
    http://blog.myspace.com/danidunnonline

Writing is finite,revising infinite Prawn's Avatar

Andrea Somberg

Just FYI, I sent an e-mail query to Andrea. She passed on my project, but responded with a polite e-mail in less than 24 hours.
    Ceci n'est pas un sig.

giving resonant directions JamieFord's Avatar
    I sent an email query to Andrea and she passed as well.

Then I realized Sara Crowe was a better fit and queried her. She requested the full, read it overnight and offered representation the next day. I have a couple other offers to consider, but she's been fantastic so far.

I emailed a couple of her clients who were thrilled with her, and Harvey Klinger in general.

Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet
    , a New York Times Bestseller. Or a handy paperweight.
    www.jamieford.com @jamieford

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Saundra Mitchell's Avatar
    I'm repped by Sara and I couldn't be happier. She's brisk, efficient, always has time to answer questions, and she works hard to get a really fantastic deal. In three months, she sold my "difficult-to-sell, quiet" YA novel (forthcoming Feb 2009 from Delacorte!), and made a fantastic deal that maintained foreign rights for her to sell later- which she specialized in before she became a regular literary agent. I love her, and I couldn't recommend her more.
    Last edited by Saundra Mitchell; 03-14-2008 at 03:49 AM. Reason: my speelin iz not so gud

giving resonant directions JamieFord's Avatar
    Thanks Saundra. Ben Dolnick and Jonathan Maberry both gave her glowing recommends as well. It's going to be a tough decision choosing which agent to go with.

Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet
    , a New York Times Bestseller. Or a handy paperweight.
    www.jamieford.com @jamieford

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Saundra Mitchell's Avatar
    Congratulations to you on having your pick! Best of luck to you whichever way you go; I'm sure you'll be very happy!

JeffBrailey

Andrea Somberg

I met Andrea at the Pikes Peak Writers Conference in Colorado Springs last month. Although I didn't get to know her as well as a couple of the other agents whose workshops I attended, she responded positively to a query I sent her Sunday and has asked to see the first five pages of my manuscript. After about 50 mostly courteous and helpful rejections, her reply was an oasis in a desert of denials. I'll let you all know how it goes.

If you want to follow my quest to get my book published, check out http://novemberghosts.blogspot.com

One of the Fabled Mists VictoriaLambert's Avatar
    This agent is extremely well-mannered! I sent her a query and she requested the first few pages of my ms within 24 hrs. She ultimately passed on my work, but she was very classy about it and even responded twice to my subsequent inquiries.

Here's the url for her at Harvey Klinger:
    http://www.harveyklinger.com/bio.cfm?agent=5
    Looks like some pretty decent sales.
    -Barbara
    will crit for rep points
    "Your commas are pretty good." TNH
    okay, I have a blog

practical experience, FTW Legionsynch's Avatar
    She requested the full from me a little over a month ago, and I've got my fingers crossed. I've been extremely impressed with everything I've seen from her.
    My writing goals:

Witch Eyes: 1 offer of representation. (2 requests still pending)

A Love Lost Like Secrets Unseen - My Writing Blog

Page 1 of 20 123456711 ... LastLast