For those who've had agent offers

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
What was the time between sending the full to getting an offer? One week? Two months? A day or two?

I had an agent before, but things fell through. It was a week between her reading the full to making an offer. I'm under the impression that (from reading a lot of stories here) they come pretty quickly. I haven't stumbled upon someone receiving an offer from waiting months on end. But it could be (and I hope) I'm wrong, but still...I thought I'd ask to find out anyway.

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, I received an offer less than a week after sending a full. My agent was leaving on vacation when she requested, then read it on the plane and offered a few days later.

Some agents save their reading up so it's possible a month or two could go by before they open the manuscript, but it seems like the decision to offer is made quickly after reading. (Or sometimes before the agent has even finished - I've heard that story before)

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
It depends on if other offers are on the table. If they are, then yes, the agent is going to read and respond quickly. If not, they might take longer.

Lucy

sky with diamonds
Registered
Reaction score
My experience has been that offers come quickly; you know very quickly whether or not the project has legs.

My agent offered in about four hours; he hadn't finished reading it yet. I had other offers (within 2-3 days) but I ended up going with him because we clicked.

JanetO

Registered
Reaction score
I think that you'll find the answer ranges from hours to months. My offer came after 6 weeks, with apologies for not reading faster. Someone here once claimed that an agent read his 400 page manuscript in two hours and offered.

Christyp

Lizard Lady
Registered
Reaction score
My one time I was offered representation the offer came five months after the agent received the full. Everything seemed to take a long time with her.

taylormillgirl

Hopeless Romantic
Registered
Reaction score
My agent had my first manuscript for a few weeks without response. But when I sent her the second one, (which she fell in love with), she offered three days later.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Most here may come within weeks, but there's at least one bestseller on this board who had to wait a full year before signing with her now agent.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
About three and a half months. He got back on the initial full in two weeks (he's awesome like that), but I did a revision and that's the one it took longer to hear back on.

Last edited:

ryannj5

Registered
Reaction score
Oh man, my nervousness just increased. I've been waiting on fulls (I have nine out) some for 2 months, some a little less.....ahhhh!!!

SRHowen

Erotica is not a four letter word!
Registered
Reaction score
Mine took 10 days, I know he is backed up right now. I know it's hard but it's like turning off your internal editor, try to forget about it and work on something new.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
2 months with my first agent. 2 days with my second.

There's no pattern, no way to predict, it's individual people responding as individuals.

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Agent A received my full and waited five months to offer rep.

Agent B received my query and offered me rep the same day.

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
My agent took one day to request the full ms. from the query. Three months later, she offered representation. She emailed first with the offer to rep, and when I accepted, we set up a phone conversation for the next day.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
It took about two months, but she was away for one week at a conference and I was away for two on a vacation where I couldn't be reached.