Urgh. Amazon really IS taking over the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Meh, I'll get more worried if somebody on the level of Stephen King or George R. R. Martin or James Patterson--a name-brand author whose new releases actually get people into bookstores who otherwise don't go there regularly--suddenly makes all their books Amazon exclusives. And that's not happening for a long, long time, if ever. Marshall's book might be terrific (as celebrity memoirs go), but it's not likely to be a must-read for a lot of people.

I was talking to my boyfriend about this yesterday, and there are a lot of ways this can be potentially bad. Let's say, for instance, that rather than going after all of the really big Stephen Kings of the world, Amazon goes for the midlist.

Amazon is backed by a massive company making such huge profits that it can afford to take some pretty big hits if it benefits them in the long run. Publishing companies don't have quite the same degree of flexibility.

Let's say Amazon starts bidding on midlist authors, offering them thousands more than the big six can offer. How many authors, particularly midlist authors who don't make a ton, would turn them down? I don't even know 100% that I would. I want to, but if they offered me a lot of money and I could pay off my student loans and afford health insurance, it would be incredibly tempting. And I'm sure an awful lot of authors out there feel the same way.

So Amazon starts siphoning off authors by offering much bigger advances. Now whether or not they're able to really provide the same kind of quality product in this case, but let's say it happens. It's conceivable that in order to keep authors, publishers are going to be forced to start offering higher advances and higher royalties. If that's the case, they're taking more risk. The more risk they have to take, the more they're going to want to take that risk on known sellers that they think will be big.

In this kind of scenario, the whole situation could actually be a negative because it could force the other big publishers to take on fewer authors and to drop more new authors who don't sell big. This is already a problem, but it could be exacerbated. This could actually make it harder for a new author to get published (or stay published).

I'm not psychic so I can't say whether this will happen or not. I just see a lot of ways that this could be bad for authors in general.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
It's the standard maneuver for a company squeezing out the competition. Lower the price, using your existing profits as a buffer, until the competition folds. Once the market's empty, then raise the price to whatever you want. Make the terms whatever you want.

Anytime you get into a situation where companies release devices that are touted as "XXX-killer" (As in the Fire is an iPad-killer, etc), they aren't looking for a cooperative or competitive market. They're cornering the market.

Amazon's great at surgical strikes against the competition because they've got the capital to pull it off.

strictlytopsecret

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
If Amazon wants to hand me a Kindle for free, I'd probably consider buying a few songs or books from them. I'm definitely not planning to shell out $200 for one, though, especially given its stark limitations.

I'm sure the bean-counters @ Amazon have figured out average consumption per user will far offset any hits they are taking on the price of the consumption device.

I wonder how long it will be until educational textbooks move to an electronic-only format. Is that already happening?

I'm curious - anyone know with reasonable assurance just how much of a hit Amazon is taking on its consumption devices? ETA: looks like a little over ten bucks: http://www.investors.com/NewsAndAna...407/Amazon-Selling-Kindle-Fire-At-A-Loss.aspx

~STS~

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, kindles now cost $79, not $200, which significantly undercuts nook.

Fire is set to retail for $199, taking a swipe at iPad.

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
I wonder how long it will be until educational textbooks move to an electronic-only format. Is that already happening?

Yeah, it is. My ex-girlfriend's cousin is going through it. Her school handed out notebooks loaded with all her textbooks. The students don't have a single physical book.

strictlytopsecret

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, it is. My ex-girlfriend's cousin is going through it. Her school handed out notebooks loaded with all her textbooks. The students don't have a single physical book.

Interesting! Is this a high school (public or private?)? A college?

~STS~

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
And if Amazon has it's own imprint, will that mean that unless you are published with them, they won't advertise you?

These are questions worth asking. I'm not saying that Amazon has shown any sign of doing this, but monopolies are monopolies. And people let power get to their head.
But aren't they doing this with the Kindle? You can only buy your ebooks through Amazon if you want to read them on the Kindle (unless you engage in a workaround). Maybe I'm wrong or that's changed. If it hasn't changed, then Amazon has, in essence, a trapped consumer audience in everyone who owns a Kindle.

Textbooks now are largely available in both print and electronic format. Professors want the ebook option to offer to their students, but the vast majority of textbook sales are still in print. So students faced with the choice of buying a print or an etextbook are still largely choosing print. Ebooks and online platforms for classes will continue to grow, but print isn't going away from the classroom any time soon, though as PrincessofPersia's post attests, there may be some exceptions.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Not everyone has online access...

Thus by publishing with Amazon, you limit your audience...IMHO.

Of course is the author does not care and only cares to see their name somewhere... then so be it. Who am I to complain if there is more room for my future books at the library or on book store shelves.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Of course is the author does not care and only cares to see their name somewhere... then so be it. Who am I to complain if there is more room for my future books at the library or on book store shelves.

As far as I know, the only reason an Amazon published book wouldn't appear on a bookstore shelf is because the bookstores don't want to help Amazon while it systematically undercuts them. But that might change, especially if more big name authors go with Amazon and those bookstores don't want to lose out on those sales. Libraries, as far as I know, don't have the same kind of horse in this race so I don't see why they wouldn't shelve Amazon books.

(btw, in case my post didn't make it clear, Amazon is planning on printing books too, not just distributing them as ebooks)

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
That's one of the questions I had asked. It makes sense for Amazon to make those books exclusive on certain levels (screws over the competition), but I'm not sure if that's actually the case. For all I know the hardcovers will be available anywhere. Does anyone know what their distribution on the print books is like?

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
For small mom and pop operations, they have to have a return policy from the publisher. While Amazon has its own return policy, I doubt they will offer this for every writer they publish, or for every book store that wants to stock their books...

Its about economics for the small booksellers...

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
Return policies are a standard practice though. I can't imagine they wouldn't have some kind of return policy for the print books they publish.

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
Return policies are a standard practice though. I can't imagine they wouldn't have some kind of return policy for the print books they publish.

If Amazon is doing mass runs, they perhaps they will have a standard return policy.

But if Amazon continues to do Print on Demand runs, they more than likely will not. Besides, unless the return policy specifies the whole book, all they are going to get back is a cover torn off for credits. That makes for a very expensive Operation if its PoD...

ios

Weirdo.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
chiaroscurohouse.com
I feel like this is all a plot of Amazon's to dominate the publishing field and put everyone else out of business so they can make more money. Conspiracy theoryish? Maybe, but seriously.

I don't think Amazon can do it. Rather, I hope it will be a good thing. In general, I see new competition amongst big business as beneficial to others, in this case, from readers to writers to even employees.

I'm just looking to see what everyone else's opinions are on this. I'm also curious--if Amazon offered you a deal would you take it?

Not sure. I'd have to look it over and if I had the money, I'd probably have a lawyer look it over too. But if what I hear is true--that the contracted book's ebooks can only be sold on their site--then I don't know. Maybe if I had a one-off book, just to increase exposure, but not a good thing for every book.

Jodi

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
It sounds like they're talking mass print runs. That was the impression I was under, anyway.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think Amazon can do it. Rather, I hope it will be a good thing. In general, I see new competition amongst big business as beneficial to others, in this case, from readers to writers to even employees.

Jodi

The problem here is that this isn't fair competition. This isn't people on about the same level playing the same game. Amazon has massive amounts of capital from all of the other ventures they're undertaking. They can afford to offer goods and make deals at rates that vastly undercut the competition in order to eliminate it. In much the same way Wal-mart moving into an area kills all of the local businesses, you have a corporation that is so huge and powerful with enough wealth to intentionally undercut the competition.

The less competition there is, the better for Amazon. They get a bigger share of the market. Healthy competition is a good thing, and in the short run this could have a few benefits to authors (better royalties, better advances, etc.), but long-term this could cause massive problems. We could start seeing more publishers go under, or unwilling to take risks on unknowns. Amazon could get a big enough piece of the cake that they are then able to change their policies so that instead of losing money, they're making a fortune--which would be at the author's expense.

There's a reason why monopolies are illegal.

Last edited:

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder how far things will go before antitrust law kicks in?

See, I've wondered this as well. Now, it seems like a lot of massive companies are breaking antitrust laws and getting away with it at the moment (Monsanto, anyone?) so I'm not sure what it would take to get it prosecuted, but I've actually posed this question to people before and been told that Amazon would be very hard to prosecute because of the online nature of the business. I have no idea if that's true or not, but has anything like that ever been done?

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I feel like until Amazon finds a way to give me more accurate book/title ratings, I have no desire to wade through 2 million entries of ebooks from people who get all off their friends to post about "how amazing" the book is.

It seems like it's saturating the market and in the long run, I do believe that readers will simply stop accepting crap that just anyone can publish online.

But, who knows.

strictlytopsecret

Registered
Reaction score
For Amazon to have a monopoly, they'd have to be the only game in town. They aren't. Not by a long shot.

What constitutes 'unfair competition' in the publishing/book selling arena?

If the criteria for "unfair competition" in the publishing industry is a company which both publishes AND sells directly to the public, then RandomHouse, Penguin, and many other publishers are also competing "unfairly".

Why demonize actual publishing competition (i.e., those with enough financial backing to make it count)? If the only "fair" competition for existing HUGE publishing houses are tiny presses with tiny distribution capacity, that's really no competition at all.

~STS~

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Well this is beyond CreateSpace. This is Amazon working as an actual, advance paying commercial publisher and doing everything a commercial publisher would do. They're trying to branch beyond the self-publishing market.

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
It sounds like they're talking mass print runs. That was the impression I was under, anyway.

The article does not say they are doing mass runs. What the article states...

"to make this book available to any retailer that would like to carry it in physical or digital format."

PA, Lulu, and even Createspace can make a book available to any retailer who would like a copy. This does not sound like mass run marketing to me...

The mass market run for Penny Marshals book might make sense, but I doubt seriously that Amazon is going to do Mass Market runs for every author it signs. This would require them to be selective...you know, just like a real commercial publisher.

I am wondering about editing and cover designs...

Edited to add...Does anyone have a link to Amazons publishing new SF&F imprint? I would be interested in what they have to say, especially about editing and submissions.

Last edited:

strictlytopsecret

Registered
Reaction score
It's a public high school. Colleges still require you to pay 500 bucks for books. :D

Thanks for the heads up!

I'm betting there is HUGE money for a company that can provide both reasonably priced content and a reasonably priced media consumption device for public school students. One stop curriculum shopping at a deep discount.

If a public school is finding it more fiscally wise to provide every kid with a laptop (and digital versions of textbooks) than to purchase print media for those same students, big change must be on the horizon for that segment of the publishing industry.

~STS~

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.