AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Promotion] Odyl / Riffle

Sockpuppet

[Promotion] Odyl / Riffle

http://odyl.net/

Can anyone detect that this is anything more than glorified Facebook promotion? Exactly how Odyl partners with the Big Six, and who pays? They appear to be skilled and clever, but I don't see anything really new.

Tell it like it Is Susan Littlefield's Avatar
    In the country with the love of my life and our cats
    Miss Plum, look like an advertisement to lure people over to their FB page. You put in your email and they send you information, which I would not do. You click on the picture and it takes you to their "like" page on Facebook.

Here's an article about the business from Publishers Weekly.

"Partners with" is press-release speak for "currently has a contract to provide services to."

Find me at
    BookTweeting on Twitter
    for a book review a day, every day!
    JUST LAUNCHED:
    EbookCheapskate,
    where you'll find reviews of
    free and cheap ebooks (under $5 US)!

Sockpuppet
    Thanks, ICE. It still looks to me like Facebook geeks who do your page for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Plum View Post
    Thanks, ICE. It still looks to me like Facebook geeks who do your page for you.
    Oh, yes, that is the impression I get as well (well, do your page for you and also scout for potential fans). Though you're right that the verbiage on their site is a little more grandiose than what they actually seem to do.

As always, if anyone here is planning to work with these (or any) contracted providers of services, take your due diligence beyond just checking their websites; ask for references from other clients that you can follow up independently (rather than testimonials).

On the upside to them, they've done a good job of getting press for a new company, and the website looks attractive.
    Last edited by IceCreamEmpress; 10-12-2011 at 06:32 AM.

Find me at
    BookTweeting on Twitter
    JUST LAUNCHED:
    EbookCheapskate,

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Smile Odyl - What we do

Hello Everyone,

I'd like to answer a few inquiries about our company.

The Odyl platform (A content creation platform, similar in some ways to Wordpress or Blogger, but for FB) is a tool used to create Facebook Applications such as Exclusive Book Excerpts, Virtual Gifts, Polls, Quizzes, Giveaways, etc.

Authors and book marketers can easily create content without knowing how to write Facebook markup language (FBML), HTML or CSS.

The Odyl platform is in use by publishers including: Random House, HarperCollins, Penguin, Rodale, Simon & Schuster, Workman, J Wiley, and Hachette.

Some exemplary authors on the platform are: Janet Evanovich, Brett Easton Ellis, Sophie Kinsella, James Rollins, Lee Child, Jennifer Weiner, Michael Connelly, Diana Gabaldon, Suze Orman, Jay-Z, Katie Couric, Brad Thor, Jeff Lindsay, Kelley Armstrong, Dr. Seuss, Ann Brashares, Steve Berry, and Red Green.

I'd love to show you a demo. If you fill out the inquiry for on the odyl.net website, I'll get back to you as soon as I can. We get a lot of inquiries!

Have a great day.

Best,
    Marquina

OT: Isn't Dr. Seuss dead? (Not a criticism, just...strange to see him in a list of currently posting FB accounts.)
    Why doesn't George R. R. Martin use Twitter? He already killed off all 140 characters.

Quote Originally Posted by DreamWeaver View Post
    OT: Isn't Dr. Seuss dead? (Not a criticism, just...strange to see him in a list of currently posting FB accounts.)
    The Seuss Estate is very active!

Find me at
    BookTweeting on Twitter
    JUST LAUNCHED:
    EbookCheapskate,

Quote Originally Posted by IceCreamEmpress View Post
    The Seuss Estate is very active!
    So is the Jimi Hendrix Estate, but it'd still freak me out to read tweets from Jimi Hendrix .
    Why doesn't George R. R. Martin use Twitter? He already killed off all 140 characters.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Has added Riffle, a social media element a la Goodreads. (http://www.rifflebooks.com/) PW write-up here.

ETA: Odyl site down mid '16. Riffle continues.
    Last edited by CaoPaux; 12-01-2016 at 09:59 PM. Reason: updating w/o bumping
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: