PA Blows Furious Steam !

Status
Not open for further replies.

overfiend

Registered
Reaction score
Well been a while since i have been in the forum but as i was content to let my contract run out , i got the famous 99$ terminate thing frm PA and decided to play along quoting their contract lines

MY email to them

Hi
After so many 0.00 royalty cheques, You have enough grounds to free me
from my contract as stated in written . Do also note that i am not promoting my book since 2007
and you will not sell any copies.Stop wasting my time and your time and grant me this legal release please.

PA Answers

We have received your request to terminate your book's contract. As a general rule, publishers are not in favor of that. When a publisher agrees to contract a book, it is done with an expectation of entering into a profitable venture. PublishAmerica never charges any of its authors any money in return for producing and publishing their book and making it available to a worldwide audience. This is why we enter into contracts with a seven-year lifetime, which affords the book ample opportunity to turn a profit.
If your request was granted, PublishAmerica would be denied, prematurely, any hope of recovering its expenses. This is why we would prefer to keep the contract in place until its expiration date.
Therefore, if you were to persist on wishing to relinquish your status as a published author, we can only grant your request if you agree to a $99 compensation payment, which will help to offset some of our losses. If you want to proceed with termination, please go to: http://www.publishamerica.net/product38283.html. Be sure to enter your book's title in the "order comments" field. If not, we will both understand and applaud your decision. As said, we prefer to keep the book under contract.
Thank you,

OK so i decide to press on with a little humor and that might be interesting to the guys who wish to know about the PA price Drop...if it will ever happen

but amazingly after 2 days, i get a speedy courrier with a check for 2 $ from PA claimng i had sold 2 books and made 8 $ commission but since my book was co wrote, i only get 2$.
Two Questions i asked myself...who is the cowriter if i wrote this all by myself. And who is the guy who bought two copies as i am not promoting anywhere?
anyway, I pressed on knowing now that they are just covering their weak spots with the 0.00 balance cheque.

Hi
Well you won't sell anything and my contract ends in 2014, which is
less than 3 years for now.I have been waiting since 2007 so i can wait till 2014. Pay you 99$, you must be joking right for a book that has been published without any editing.

Anyway, you spent or not, next time do
a great job so that it can sell, but we all know who buys PA Books right...not stores but authors and their families and friends.
In anycase we all know what PA is in reality so lets no pretend you are such an honorable publisher.
Since i am not going to do anything to promote and you will sell nothing until 2014 , when my contract reverts to me, i can propose a buy out clause of 20 $ to the most.

I think that is the best deal you are going to make out of a book that will not sell and riddled with mistakes. You got to think like this, you are in it for the money and at this point anything is better than nothing. So think about it and get back to me. I actually think that even 20 $ for a faulty product is expensive. Would you go to the supermarket and buy damaged goods at the same price as
good one????

And this is when all hell breaks loose and the gloves come off

Oh, stop the whining already. We're sick and tired of hearing your ilk bark up the wrong tree, so either shape up or shut up you dumb idiot.

Listen Eistein, this no rocket science. We publish 50,000 books. Each one is produced, manufactured, published, and made available to bookstores worldwide the exact same way. Everything is the same. We don't do preferential treatments for no one, especially dicks like you. Instead we do the whole thing for absolutely free.

Did you get that numbskull? Free....want me to edit that for you by the word. Regular people don't argue with free. Misguided people like you do. You are seriously misguided, stupid.
Some books sell very well, in the millions. Some books sell very few copies, even none. Everything else is the same.
The difference despite the exact same treatment? Different content, different author.
Those who sell well never give us this kind of crap, ever. Those who don't occasionally barf just like you. Because they can't handle the thought that maybe it's them, or their story.

It gets old. Go away now. You're wasting our time. Your book remains under contract.
Thank you,

Last edited:

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
PublishAmerica, professional they are not.

PA lurkers, is this the kind of letter you'd like to receive from your publisher? PA could have simply said, "We do not accept your counteroffer, your book remains under contract." That would have been a professional and civil response. Calling their own author a dumb idiot and a numbskull, not so much. I expect nothing less from PublishAmerica.

skylark

Registered
Reaction score
Gosh, imagine if someone took that letter and posted it on the internet somewhere where it would come up on Google searches for PublishAmerica?

Oh wait.

overfiend

Registered
Reaction score
Sadly guys, this is the kind of letter i got from PA and i did not expect that. I did write a following letter to them with a humourous and returning insult "writeback", to see if I could stir some more "emotions " out but I got no answer.

FYI, 2 years back i did email to them and threatened to use a lawyer and so on if they did not free me but they did not answer at all.Then i sent a registered letter and they got worried and called me home and talked politely. They confirmed my email again and then said there was no reply because they got my email wrong. Yeah right!

Then i got an email that said the same thing in a more polite manner of course but with a firm menacing diplomacy if you will. They ended with pay 300$ if you cannot wait.

kdesanges

Registered
Reaction score
Publish America is really scary. I can only pray aspiring authors find out about them before it is too late.

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
I'm far from being a fan of these guys, but I'm very skeptical of this PA email. I've seen too much correspondence from them, and have been personally embroiled with them to believe they'd ever crank out something like this. They all have a certain "tone." Nope. Not buying it. Sorry.

If this was the first PA "tone" letter I had ever read, I might agree with you; however, many of the lines in the letter have been repeated in previous "tone" letters I've read. Calling the author a dick and a numbskull is something I have not heard before. The rest of it is all too familiar.

Other words that have been reported as being written by PA:
"Hush, baby."
"Barnes and Noble lied."
"Amazon lied."
"Stop whining."
"Nonsense!"
"Stop wasting our time."
"Go away now."
"You are misinformed/misguided."
"Don't take that tone with us."
"We expect a prompt apology."

There are many more, but these are the ones that popped into my memory, as I've seen them many times. I do believe there were additional "idiot" comments, but since I can't remember when/where I read them, I didn't include them.

overfiend

Registered
Reaction score
Well to the guys who want proff, i copy pasted what i had here at the begining , the letter as is. I got nothing else. Doubt the writer from PA support would want to come forward and say "yeah it was my letter"
PA is free to come forward if they will but would they want to??????

Nobody ever thought a couple of years ago they could get out of a PA contract.Then the famous buy 50 copies and get out clause came followed by the 600$ one which decreased to 300$ and now you have the 99$ gimmick.

PA is in a free fall and the people are getting more annoyed. When i got hooked to PA you could barely find anything bad about them in the search engines. Now , it is everywhere and there are a lot of authors who had a sour experiences and have started forums sites and threads.Even got Blogspot and widely viewed Facebook sites as well.

don't really care if you believe this letter or not, to those who do not of course, but PA has been getting desperate by the year so that is their evolution into the darkness.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Overfiend, I'm sorry that you've got caught up in PA's grip. But I can understand why Priceless1 has her doubts about that email: it's awful and while we've seen PA behave badly in all sorts of ways, I don't think we've seen them be quite as vile as this before. That must have been a really upsetting message to receive.

If it would help you could forward that email to me and once I've seen that it really is from PA, I'll vouch for you here. My email address is "hprw AT tesco DOT net".

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
PA is becoming more and more desperate - witness their recent insane behaviour re. J K Rowling. Although this e-mail does sound a little over the top even by PA's standards, I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be genuine.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
OK so i decide to press on with a little humor and that might be interesting to the guys who wish to know about the PA price Drop...if it will ever happen

but amazingly after 2 days, i get a speedy courrier with a check for 2 $ from PA claimng i had sold 2 books and made 8 $ commission but since my book was co wrote, i only get 2$.
Two Questions i asked myself...who is the cowriter if i wrote this all by myself. And who is the guy who bought two copies as i am not promoting anywhere?

I find this most interesting, if you didn't have a co-author and they send you a cheque for less than you are entitled to for two sales, then they are surely with holding profits? I'm not sure about this, but I'm certain that's not legal, and perhaps the fraud prevention office in your country might be interested to know about these fabricated people in relation to the legal contract that you signed.

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
Well to the guys who want proff, i copy pasted what i had here at the begining , the letter as is. I got nothing else.
You have the email headers and coding. Many PA victims have posted that in order to verify its authenticity.

I'm not saying you're not entitled to your anger over your predicament with them, I'm just saying that in all the contentious conversations I've had with them, and they were contentious, they never stepped over the line into name calling. Instead, they deliver their famous "tone" letters, which are pathetic enough. And they all have a familiar structure. Your letter has none of those recognizable markers, which make me doubt this email.

PA is in a free fall and the people are getting more annoyed.
Sadly, they are not in freefall. They are as strong as they always were because there are many authors who don't do proper research.
don't really care if you believe this letter or not, to those who do not of course, but PA has been getting desperate by the year so that is their evolution into the darkness.
First off, you should care whether people believe you. You've made a bold claim, and if you're not careful, you could be slapped with a nastygram via PA's ambulance chaser. He has a very itchy trigger finger.

Secondly, I have a long and pathetic history with these guys, so I have reason to doubt PA is getting desperate. They're innovative at coming up with lots of ways to separate hard-earned cash from their authors' bank accounts. Nothing more than business as usual.

Last edited:

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
PA is becoming more and more desperate - witness their recent insane behaviour re. J K Rowling. Although this e-mail does sound a little over the top even by PA's standards, I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be genuine.
This is just another sad, pathetic profit center, not desperation. It's important to recognize the difference because it will affect your perception. PA has one thing going for it - guts that borders on insanity.

They play fast and loose with their offers and leaves much to interpretation. If an author happily forks over $99 to have JK Rowling look at their book, PA does the happy happy joy joy dance. If an author - or JK herself - takes issue with the offer, PA rears back in shock and insist they've been misinterpreted.

The most important factor is their belief that no one will waste time and money to go after them. JK isn't going to bother - she just swatted at them like a fly. So absent someone who says, "enough," and has enough money to put on a proper lawsuit, they'll continue to do what they do best. And that's the cornerstone of their business.

allenparker

Naked Futon Guy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allenparker.net
So absent someone who says, "enough," and has enough money to put on a proper lawsuit, they'll continue to do what they do best. And that's the cornerstone of their business.

Or is someone who has the time and has nothing to lose from it.

I hope they vet for insane axe murderers.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Gosh, wouldn't it be awful if someone posted a link on PA's FaceBook page?

http://www.facebook.com/PublishAmerica

and followed up with posting a link on the PublishAmerica Scam page?

http://www.facebook.com/PublishAmerica#!/pages/PublishAmerica-Scam/128768743843643?sk=wall&filter=12

I see there are quotes from the letter on the scam page, but a direct link to this thread would be just....awful!

For Larry and PA.

But he won't see it. His head is so far up his arse you need a "jaws of life" to get it out.

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
I think it's wrong to have that letter spreading around without being certain of its authenticity. Making people aware of how PA works is education enough. Spreading potential lies and name calling makes PA's detractors no better than their intended target. I urge everyone to take a deep breath and stick to the facts.

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
There are AW members who are published by PA and HAPPY to be so.

I do not lie. I kid you not. I want to cry for them.

Of course, they are newly-published and prefer not to read threads like this.

Can't even lead some horses to water ...

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Excellent point, Priceless, which is why the link should be to the whole discussion thread, not just the first post.

I've no doubt the letter is authentic. PA is the most unprofessional bunch of misfits I've ever come across. At the least hint that they won't be able to score cash from a writer the foul language starts.

Larry -- get some therapy. You can't write that kind of crap and like yourself.

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
My point was that the letter shouldn't be on the PA Scam FaceBook page. No one should have to link on this thread to discover the letter hasn't been verified as being real. It should be removed. Otherwise that page, and everyone who posts on it, risks losing credibility. PA hardly needs inflammatory rhetoric when there is solid evidence of their questionable business practices. Stick to the facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.