AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Bentham Science Publishers Ltd.

but appreciated anyway... Unimportant's Avatar

Bentham Science Publishers Ltd.

I got spam email at work today:
    Dear Dr. W--,
    I wish to introduce my new Ebook entitled A Handbook of Oral Physiology and Oral Biology.
    This Ebook should be extremely useful for researchers and working professionals in the field of Dentistry. I am confident that after reading the synopsis and content description given below, you will recommend this book to your colleagues, students and library. Alternatively, you may want to purchase individual chapters of my Ebook: for more details please CLICK HERE

Sincerely,
    Anastasios K. Markopoulos
    Aristotle University
    Greece
    Note, I do not work in a field even remotely related to dentistry.

The "click here" takes you to Bentham Science Publishers. They publish a heap of peer-reviewed scientific journals with high impact factors. But from what I can tell, their new e-book publishing arm accepts submissions without fact checking or peer review, as long as the submissions meet their layout standards. Authors sign copyright over to Bentham (this is not uncommon for peer-reviewed articles in scientific journals, but it's definitely not the norm for textbooks). Bentham then sells the books, or offers the books for free if the authors have paid Bentham $900 for open-access.

So Bentham makes a profit for very little work, authors get a publication credit without having to pass much/any editorial review, and readers -- well, they get books that I'm guessing may have a high likelihood of being utter crap. Or that's my uncharitable, and possibly inaccurate, assessment of this venture. Does anyone have more info?
    Last edited by Unimportant; 10-09-2011 at 01:15 AM.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Direct link to ebook arm (mostly to skirt email's tracker URL): http://benthamscience.com/ebooks/index.htm
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

but appreciated anyway... Unimportant's Avatar
    Thanks for that -- and I've removed the email link.

I publish in science, and I know that what is standard for science publishing would be heinous by fiction pubilshing standards, but even so, this science ebook thing is sending up red flags for me.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Updating URL: http://ebooks.benthamscience.com/

Wiki offers evidence of ... unconcern for scientific validity: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bentha...nce_Publishers
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Jeremy Bentham would be spinning in his grave if most of his remains were actually in a grave.
    "I've never had to fake sarcasm."

Brick by Brick, a ménage à trois novel (soon to be re-released)
    Taming the Wilde, FemDom spotted--and striped--in the wild
    Men in Love, anthology about--hey, you're already there, aren't you?
    Maryn Says, an irregular blog almost never about writing
    The Occasional Tweet