• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

The Write Agenda

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Heck, they're causing me to get good notices and even boosted donations for legal defense. I guess TWA just doesn't know how to really hurt me. Hint: Try a high-velocity lead injection when I'm not looking.

twm

Zizban
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Oh, no! It looks like their list (noted as updated today, Oct. 8) is now drastically shorter rather than longer. Guess we'll all have to try even harder now to get on there.

Me too. There goes one dream.

janrafrank

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
They took me off their boycott list, but left up their big page about how mean I am.

I had been skirmishing with them on Rip-off Report and my final reply included a link to the Dept of Justice's definition and guide to the Freedom of Information Act. However, they have gone silent there.

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
Wow, I wasn't aware visiting this forum and Writer Beware was so dangerous, so subversive that someone would need to watch and boycott those who do.

I'll clearly have to rethink my life. Perhaps I should join the place with the ill-thought out arguments who flail like children when they're proved wrong.

Or perhaps I could stay here with the people who know what they're talking about.

Write Agenda, please watch and boycott me. I have nothing published yet, but my blog could really do with the readership boost.
edit: I can promise that my blog hates your agenda too, even if we never talk about it.

Last edited:

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
Same here. I use it because a lot of people I know use it, but it's not really doing anything for me.

And it's just that kind of literary individulalist anarchism and outright anti-establishment propaganda (plus other big words I can't think of) that get people blacklisted from The Write Agenda. :D ;)

Good job you're on about twitter is all I can say. Otherwise you'd be blacklisted on TWA. Twice.

Last edited:

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I know what happened now. They kept those nine people on the Boycott list, but moved the rest to their Propaganda Watch list. Not quite as prestigious as being on a boycott list, but better than nothing. I'll still aspire to make it onto their Propaganda Watch list.

Last edited:

fireluxlou

Registered
Reaction score
Tbh I'm Jealous that Victoria gets her own page =P One day I will get on their block list :D

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
A propaganda "watch list".

Oh, heavens to murgatroids. A watch list. What ever shall I do.

*reaches for the smelling salts* I do believe I may have the vapors.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
I'm STILL not on their propaganda list. Not even after PA threatened to sue me a few years back.

If that didn't do it, I don't know what will. Crudcookies.

'Crudcookies' works, but I think the official designation—per The League of Reluctant Adults and echoed by Neil Gaiman—is 'cockwaffles'. :)

WriterMomto3

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, I'm on the list. It's the Propaganda List, but I'm there just the same. AND, they put in my web site, maybe that will be good for business. :)

I've a question for those with more technical know-how than I, though. When it is said that there are malware warnings on their site, what does that mean, exactly?

LoLo

Registered
Reaction score
A propaganda "watch list".

Oh, heavens to murgatroids. A watch list. What ever shall I do.

*reaches for the smelling salts* I do believe I may have the vapors.

Hahahahahahaha

AlexPiper

Wayward Wordsmith
Registered
Reaction score
Seattle, WA -- land of rain, home of the spice caf
Website
www.fabulaurbanus.com
Americans, I think, call it the pound sign. Commonwealth/UK-ers call it the hash sign since they use metric, not pounds.
I think the UKers calling it a hash sign might also have something to do with the fact that they have a pound sign already, in the £ symbol. ;)

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
I think the UKers calling it a hash sign might also have something to do with the fact that they have a pound sign already, in the £ symbol. ;)
Yeah; I actually never understood why it was called the pound sign here in the States.

Because if something weighs, say, 28 pounds, we don't write "28#"; we write "28 lbs.", the "lbs." being derived from librae. (Which I guess is also true of the British currency symbol, £.)

"Hashmark" makes as much sense as anything else.

Anyway, I used the #yogslaw. And I hate Twitter, and I hate Facebook. But they're all over the damn place.

ETA: Still trying to figure out the thinking involved in the creation of TWA. Nothing good.

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bah. I'm still not on either list. I haven't felt this dissed since my kids hit puberty and I magically became the most uncool person on the planet.

Me, too! One of the TWAers even responded to me in the Writer Beware blog comments. How dare they not add me to either list! :(

Off-topic but related to your second sentence: Depending on what kind of parent you were, your kids might think you're cool again once they reach their thirties. Either that or they'll never seem to be "home" whenever you call them and they never call back. I'm guessing you're a very good parent, so unless one of your kids is a bad egg, they'll eventually think you're cool again. I'm still on the borderline between puberty and adulthood (whew! college students!), but I've started to like my parents better than I did when I was in high school.

Foinah

Smoking Monkey Smart Arse
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.foinahjameson.com
Aw, shoot a monkey! I had some good reasons why I should be boycotted, too.
Whoa, whoa, WHOA! What'd I do to you? Snerk. Hey, I'll be a martyr for the propaganda cause. Think I'd make the list that way?!

I'm a sad monkey...all of my witty remarks were removed from the TWA book burning FB page. Some of my best snark, too.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Whoa, whoa, WHOA! What'd I do to you? Snerk. Hey, I'll be a martyr for the propaganda cause. Think I'd make the list that way?!

I'm a sad monkey...all of my witty remarks were removed from the TWA book burning FB page. Some of my best snark, too.

oopsie. Sorry 'bout that. :D

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Because if something weighs, say, 28 pounds, we don't write "28#"

That was frequent in the 19th century US, actually. We don't do it anymore, because it's silly and confusing, but that is in fact why it's sometimes called the "pound sign" here.

There used to be a whole bunch of one-character symbols for units of weights and measures used in the US, but pretty much only ' for feet and " for inches survive today.

In other "no longer comprehensible US usage," a $5 US bill was called a "pound note" during most of the 19th and early 20th centuries, because that was the rough exchange rate for a long time. So when a Damon Runyon character says "And so I slip him a pound note" he means that he bribed whoever with a US five-dollar bill.

Last edited:

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
That was frequent in the 19th century US, actually. We don't do it anymore, because it's silly and confusing, but that is in fact why it's sometimes called the "pound sign" here.

There used to be a whole bunch of one-character symbols for units of weights and measures used in the US, but pretty much only ' for feet and " for inches survive today.

In other "no longer comprehensible US usage," a $5 US bill was called a "pound note" during most of the 19th and early 20th centuries, because that was the rough exchange rate for a long time. So when a Damon Runyon character says "And so I slip him a pound note" he means that he bribed whoever with a US five-dollar bill.
Awesome. Exactly the sort of thing I should have known, given my interest in the 19th century, and my enjoyment of Damon Runyon. I both admire and resent your knowledge.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
The more I look at the site, the odder it seems. All the issues they mention are things that can be debated by reasonable people -- but the site isn't about that. It seems to be purely about attacking the enemy camp ideologically. I get the impression they hold people guilty for being "loyal" to someone they hate. (Trotskyites!)

Most of the energy seems to be spent on ad hominem attacks. There's a whole page devoted to trying to prove James McDonald lied about his advances.

All in all, the site is a good example of a lot of stuff we shouldn't do.