Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: The Write Agenda

Preditors & Editors Requiescat In Pace DaveKuzminski's Avatar
    Heck, they're causing me to get good notices and even boosted donations for legal defense. I guess TWA just doesn't know how to really hurt me. Hint: Try a high-velocity lead injection when I'm not looking.
    When it comes to PA, the royalty check and the reality check arrive in the same envelope.

Remember to be kind to writers who step in PA. They really don't know how bad it smells.

The difference between PA and WLA? None. Both have the stench of dead and dying books emanating from their doorways.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Yee View Post
    Oh, no! It looks like their list (noted as updated today, Oct. 8) is now drastically shorter rather than longer. Guess we'll all have to try even harder now to get on there.
    Me too. There goes one dream.

practical experience, FTW thorjansen's Avatar
    Aww, shucks. I'm off their writers boycott list. On a bright note, I am still on their propaganda watch list. Guess I'll have to return my badge regardless. Snif.

Requiescat In Pace Requiescat In Pace
    They took me off their boycott list, but left up their big page about how mean I am.

I had been skirmishing with them on Rip-off Report and my final reply included a link to the Dept of Justice's definition and guide to the Freedom of Information Act. However, they have gone silent there.

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble Mr Flibble's Avatar
    We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the mess?
    /derail

I always wondered why # is called a pound sign, when quite clearly £ is a pound sign. # is and always was a hashmark I thought.

/end derail

My more serious alter ego has tweeted it anyway.

"Fade to Black is a dynamic and original introduction to a world and character that promise further exciting stories". British Fantasy Society

The series has grown in complexity since the beginning, reaches a profoundly moving conclusion that is both unexpected and entirely satisfying - Publisher's Weekly

Twitter

Stealing your twiglets. Anninyn's Avatar
    Wow, I wasn't aware visiting this forum and Writer Beware was so dangerous, so subversive that someone would need to watch and boycott those who do.

I'll clearly have to rethink my life. Perhaps I should join the place with the ill-thought out arguments who flail like children when they're proved wrong.

Or perhaps I could stay here with the people who know what they're talking about.

Write Agenda, please watch and boycott me. I have nothing published yet, but my blog could really do with the readership boost.
    edit: I can promise that my blog hates your agenda too, even if we never talk about it.
    Last edited by Anninyn; 10-09-2011 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Swords View Post
    Same here. I use it because a lot of people I know use it, but it's not really doing anything for me.
    And it's just that kind of literary individulalist anarchism and outright anti-establishment propaganda (plus other big words I can't think of) that get people blacklisted from The Write Agenda.

Good job you're on about twitter is all I can say. Otherwise you'd be blacklisted on TWA. Twice.
    Last edited by Fallen; 10-09-2011 at 05:14 PM.

Okay, I know what happened now. They kept those nine people on the Boycott list, but moved the rest to their Propaganda Watch list. Not quite as prestigious as being on a boycott list, but better than nothing. I'll still aspire to make it onto their Propaganda Watch list.
    Last edited by Alan Yee; 10-09-2011 at 10:41 PM.

practical experience, FTW
    Tbh I'm Jealous that Victoria gets her own page =P One day I will get on their block list

Writer Beware's Faithful Igor Richard White's Avatar
    A propaganda "watch list".

Oh, heavens to murgatroids. A watch list. What ever shall I do.

*reaches for the smelling salts* I do believe I may have the vapors.

haz a shiny new book cover Christine N.'s Avatar
    I'm STILL not on their propaganda list. Not even after PA threatened to sue me a few years back.

If that didn't do it, I don't know what will. Crudcookies.
    Christine

Young Adult Fantasy Author

A CURSE OF ASH AND IRON: Coming Spring 2015 from Curiosity Quills Press

"The Watchmaker's Ball" (short story), to be included in BEWARE THE LITTLE WHITE RABBIT (anthology), coming April 14 from Leap Books

Represented by Jordy Albert of Booker Albert Literary

I tweet

Young Adult Authors You've Never Heard Of

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter AW Moderator Ari Meermans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine N. View Post
    I'm STILL not on their propaganda list. Not even after PA threatened to sue me a few years back.

If that didn't do it, I don't know what will. Crudcookies.
    'Crudcookies' works, but I think the official designation—per The League of Reluctant Adults and echoed by Neil Gaiman—is 'cockwaffles'.

New kid, be gentle!
    Hey, I'm on the list. It's the Propaganda List, but I'm there just the same. AND, they put in my web site, maybe that will be good for business.

I've a question for those with more technical know-how than I, though. When it is said that there are malware warnings on their site, what does that mean, exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard White View Post
    A propaganda "watch list".

Oh, heavens to murgatroids. A watch list. What ever shall I do.

*reaches for the smelling salts* I do believe I may have the vapors.
    Hahahahahahaha

Sometimes I creep myself out. AW Moderator Calla Lily's Avatar
    Bah. I'm still not on either list. I haven't felt this dissed since my kids hit puberty and I magically became the most uncool person on the planet.

Seattle, WA -- land of rain, home of the spice caffeine
    Quote Originally Posted by Unimportant View Post
    Americans, I think, call it the pound sign. Commonwealth/UK-ers call it the hash sign since they use metric, not pounds.
    I think the UKers calling it a hash sign might also have something to do with the fact that they have a pound sign already, in the £ symbol.
    Current WIP: Escape Vector (Editing stage)

Piper's Pocket Muse (Tumblr) | Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by AlexPiper View Post
    I think the UKers calling it a hash sign might also have something to do with the fact that they have a pound sign already, in the £ symbol.
    Yeah; I actually never understood why it was called the pound sign here in the States.

Because if something weighs, say, 28 pounds, we don't write "28#"; we write "28 lbs.", the "lbs." being derived from librae. (Which I guess is also true of the British currency symbol, £.)

"Hashmark" makes as much sense as anything else.

Anyway, I used the #yogslaw. And I hate Twitter, and I hate Facebook. But they're all over the damn place.

ETA: Still trying to figure out the thinking involved in the creation of TWA. Nothing good.
    Fiction blog as Manuel Royal: Donnetown Today or Recently (or a Long Time Ago)

Fiction column under my real name: Welcome to Smyrnings ; continued as Spland of the Splost

Six-minute YouTube video produced by SandJack from my short script (NSFW): Make The Baby

Will calling them 'douchecanoes' get their attention?

Quote Originally Posted by callalily61 View Post
    Bah. I'm still not on either list. I haven't felt this dissed since my kids hit puberty and I magically became the most uncool person on the planet.
    Me, too! One of the TWAers even responded to me in the Writer Beware blog comments. How dare they not add me to either list!

Off-topic but related to your second sentence: Depending on what kind of parent you were, your kids might think you're cool again once they reach their thirties. Either that or they'll never seem to be "home" whenever you call them and they never call back. I'm guessing you're a very good parent, so unless one of your kids is a bad egg, they'll eventually think you're cool again. I'm still on the borderline between puberty and adulthood (whew! college students!), but I've started to like my parents better than I did when I was in high school.

Smoking Monkey Smart Arse AW Moderator Foinah's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Meermans View Post
    Aw, shoot a monkey! I had some good reasons why I should be boycotted, too.
    Whoa, whoa, WHOA! What'd I do to you? Snerk. Hey, I'll be a martyr for the propaganda cause. Think I'd make the list that way?!

I'm a sad monkey...all of my witty remarks were removed from the TWA book burning FB page. Some of my best snark, too.
    Release date 10/24/2014
    ebook and print

Yes...I have an author site! It's keen!
    Short stories available for amazon kindle : Support my coffee habit
    Smoking Monkeys have all the fun. Yes, yes we do. Smoking Simian Scribbles (pssst, it's a blog)

Stop in, have a cup of tea and a smile, and say Hello in the Pagan Forum

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter AW Moderator Ari Meermans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Foinah View Post
    Whoa, whoa, WHOA! What'd I do to you? Snerk. Hey, I'll be a martyr for the propaganda cause. Think I'd make the list that way?!

I'm a sad monkey...all of my witty remarks were removed from the TWA book burning FB page. Some of my best snark, too.

oopsie. Sorry 'bout that.

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel Royal View Post
    Because if something weighs, say, 28 pounds, we don't write "28#"
    That was frequent in the 19th century US, actually. We don't do it anymore, because it's silly and confusing, but that is in fact why it's sometimes called the "pound sign" here.

There used to be a whole bunch of one-character symbols for units of weights and measures used in the US, but pretty much only ' for feet and " for inches survive today.

In other "no longer comprehensible US usage," a $5 US bill was called a "pound note" during most of the 19th and early 20th centuries, because that was the rough exchange rate for a long time. So when a Damon Runyon character says "And so I slip him a pound note" he means that he bribed whoever with a US five-dollar bill.
    Last edited by IceCreamEmpress; 10-10-2011 at 09:41 AM.

Find me at
    BookTweeting on Twitter
    for a book review a day, every day!
    JUST LAUNCHED:
    EbookCheapskate,
    where you'll find reviews of
    free and cheap ebooks (under $5 US)!

Quote Originally Posted by IceCreamEmpress View Post
    That was frequent in the 19th century US, actually. We don't do it anymore, because it's silly and confusing, but that is in fact why it's sometimes called the "pound sign" here.

There used to be a whole bunch of one-character symbols for units of weights and measures used in the US, but pretty much only ' for feet and " for inches survive today.

In other "no longer comprehensible US usage," a $5 US bill was called a "pound note" during most of the 19th and early 20th centuries, because that was the rough exchange rate for a long time. So when a Damon Runyon character says "And so I slip him a pound note" he means that he bribed whoever with a US five-dollar bill.
    Awesome. Exactly the sort of thing I should have known, given my interest in the 19th century, and my enjoyment of Damon Runyon. I both admire and resent your knowledge.

Fiction column under my real name: Welcome to Smyrnings ; continued as Spland of the Splost

Six-minute YouTube video produced by SandJack from my short script (NSFW): Make The Baby

Quote Originally Posted by Foinah View Post
    You're already ruining your monkey lungs with those cigs. Tobacco is a monkey on your -- it's a bad habit.

The more I look at the site, the odder it seems. All the issues they mention are things that can be debated by reasonable people -- but the site isn't about that. It seems to be purely about attacking the enemy camp ideologically. I get the impression they hold people guilty for being "loyal" to someone they hate. (Trotskyites!)

Most of the energy seems to be spent on ad hominem attacks. There's a whole page devoted to trying to prove James McDonald lied about his advances.

All in all, the site is a good example of a lot of stuff we shouldn't do.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast