• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

The Write Agenda

Deleted member 42

I love that Ann Crispin 'giving away' excerpts of a novel is considered a sign that this cirius' boycott is working.

Well, it did make me go read the excerpts and that made me order the book, so I figure something worked.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
I made the list for retweeting Yog's Law a while back.

Hey, if I'm a bad guy for stating I believe writers should get paid for their work, well heck, that's a black hat I'm absolutely willing to wear (-:

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Scammers absolutely hate Yog's Law: Money flows toward the author.

Observe vanity-pressmeister Richard Tate foaming at the mouth over the thought that publishers should pay authors rather than the other way around: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6068493&postcount=1413 (my comments interspersed--Doctor Dick didn't release my comment on his blog (wonder why)).

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
My local branch of John Lewis (a wonderful UK department store chain, for those of you who don't know it) gives away free samples of curtain material for colour matching.

I guess they should be on the list too.

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
Author-hitlists -- you just know you've GOT to read their wok now. :D

I love how that site gives off full names in their list, and yet they hide behind a site name. Got real balls, don't they?

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
I am finding this thread so amusing. I love it when publicity goes the opposite way than intended... don't they know the old PR maxim of 'anything you ban becomes instantly desirable'? :) I mean tobacco and alcohol have been benefitting from this one for decades.

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
I don't get the part about sending their boycott list to libraries. Most librarians, no matter where they're located, are rather fond of allowing books - all books, any sort of books, no matter the philosophy or ideas they espouse - be available for the public to peruse and borrow. I know of one library - small, middle-class town - that regularly displays so-called 'banned books' in the hopes that the citizenry will read them. I was just a kid when a librarian told me that 'A Catcher in the Rye' would be a good choice for my book report. (We'd already read it in class, I told her.) And this was the 1960's.

So this part I do not comprehend ...

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
I think most libraries have thier own policies for which books they stock (like one I used to go to seemed to have the policy of only stock the second book in any trilogy... no idea why :) ) and resent being told what to order. So you may be right...

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
Is there an official version of Yog's law or do we just tweet it anyway we want? :)

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
My tweet from yesterday:

Opposition to Yog's Law simply means your business model is "Money flows AWAY from the writer." Say whut?!?!

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Is there an official version of Yog's law or do we just tweet it anyway we want? :)
From the mouth of Yog hisownself in post #58: "Money flows toward the author."