• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

The Write Agenda

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
This is one of those "words fail" sorts of situations, so I'll simply quote Writer Beware re: The Agenda of "The Write Agenda":

Some of you may be aware that for the past few months, a group calling itself The Write Agenda has been attempting to wage a disinformation campaign against Writer Beware and other anti-scam activists.

More information via Making Light: The Write Agenda: The wrong company to keep

And some commentary from current SFWA President John Scalzi: Writer Beware and “The Write Agenda”

I'm not posting a link to the actual site in question both to deprive them of the Google juice and because it throws up malware warnings.

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
They're targeting a lot of folks on here on the forums.

They are indeed. We must have got them rattled. Ha!

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
I am ultra-jelly that I am not being boycotted. On the other hand, it makes me feel like I have done a good job of not making my name easy to find (which I do here because I want to be completely careful about not giving anyone the impression that I offer advice here in the service of looking for private editing clients).

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
You know, the tone of The Write Agenda blogs reminds me of someone who used to post here, but I can't remember their user name.

As far as exposing anything that might be remotely helpful to unsuspecting writers just entering the publishing industry, its very apparent that they do have an agenda, and its not to help the writer avoid the publishing pit falls and scammers... IMHO...

Bicyclefish

Pedaling Pescado
Registered
Reaction score
You know, the tone of The Write Agenda blogs reminds me of someone who used to post here, but I can't remember their user name.
I was reminded of JRTurner and these people. Don't think it's either, but the latter is good for a chuckle.

Last edited:

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Yes, but there are the various stages of rejection that newer writers have to go through, first. I'm sure someone else on AW has codified the stages.

Some people get rejected a few million times, and understandably get their egos hung up on blaming everyone else for their own ignorance, bad writing or research, or simple bad luck. Along the lines of Cartman saying 'I hate you guys!'

Hell, I went through that stage. About eighteen years ago, before life decided to teach me several object lessons. Including the fact that I wasn't nearly as great a writer as I thought I was. I only improved when I let go of the conspiracy theories about editors and agents.

What's sad are the sites like TWA, who aim to make money and network contacts off writers who are still looking for The Magic Formula.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think it's helpful to spend our time speculating on who might be behind The Write Agenda: I bet that the people who need to know who it is already do, and we don't want to risk starting an argument by accusing people who have nothing to do with this particular nastiness, right?

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
Based on the Writer Beware comments, there's at least one person on the list who isn't a published author.

A friend of mine made it on the list because he commented on the Facebook page of one of the authors on the list. The friend is not an author at all, and does not (as far as I know) even aspire to publication, though he's an avid reader. Go figure.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
After my activity on Twitter and FaceBook tonight, I should be on the list any day now...