Book promotion to baby boomers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Murphy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelmurphy.me
Okay, so even if your book is not targeted toward baby boomers, you might find the following information of interest and helpful to your promotional efforts.

My next novel after Scorpion Bay is titled Goodbye Emily. Since it involves three men in their sixties recreating a roadtrip to Woodstock to scatter Emily's ashes, I will target book promotion efforts toward baby boomers mostly born between 1946 and 1955.

In spite of the recession, baby boomers (1946 through 1964) control 67% of the nation's wealth and 50% of the country's discretionary spending. Boomers are the fastest growing market and buy more audio books and ebooks than other demographic groups. I hope this information is of interest to you, and if baby boomers aren't your target I leave you with this, know your readers.

E. S. Lark

Editing all the time
Registered
Reaction score
I honestly don't think targeting baby boomers is enough though. What's your real audience? Don't just think about the age group. Consider the genre, and sub-genres your book has, specific plot points and who might relate to them.

Michael Murphy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelmurphy.me
Excellent point. I defintely won't exclude others who might be interested in my novel, but even major advertisers don't adequately target baby boomers and the discretionary spending they have available.

Michael Murphy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelmurphy.me
Additional baby boomer stats

Further reason to target baby boomers in promoting books.

1. Boomers are nation’s largest segment of book buyers. According to the US Book Consumer Demographics and Buying Behavior Annual Report, 30% of all book sales are purchased by baby boomers. An additional 16% are purchased by their elders, a category called Mature.
2. According to industry consultant Jack McKeon a recent survey indicated that avid book readers, defined as those who spend more than five hours per week reading, are boomers.
3. According to the survey, avid book readers purchase 10 or more books a year and two thirds were baby boomers.
4. Per the same survey, 41 million avid book readers are baby boomers.

Status
Not open for further replies.