A Life of Crime and Chocolate

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
Bet you're glad they're over lol.
How long does winter break go? Sorry if thats a really stupid question. Here in Australia we get 3 lots of 2 week holidays then 7 weeks at from mid December to begining Feb. Our school year starts in Feb.

Very happy.

Well, I'm in college. So, it's slightly different than "regular" school, but I basically get a month or a little bit over that. We usually start Spring Semester some time in January. :)

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Well, I'm in college. So, it's slightly different than "regular" school, but I basically get a month or a little bit over that. We usually start Spring Semester some time in January. :)

I hope you find some time to relax and have a little fun. Recharging is critical. I know everybody does it differently...I tend to favor sleeping until noon and noodling around on the Internet. :D

Me, I may have a new job. Not 100% sure yet. I have a verbal offer and I haven't answered (have to work out the child care logistics), but I'm thinking of taking it.

I've been at my current job since 1997, so...big change. Daunting. Scary. Yikes!

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
I hope you find some time to relax and have a little fun. Recharging is critical. I know everybody does it differently...I tend to favor sleeping until noon and noodling around on the Internet. :D

That sounds like what I'm going to do. :D Well, that and read and write some. If I can just get myself to write. I don't know. For some reason, I just haven't been able to lately.

Congrats on your possible job offer. :D

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
Very happy.

Really, that just shows how different our countries are. Our university and regular school work on the the same rosters for holidays adn such.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Me, I may have a new job. Not 100% sure yet. I have a verbal offer and I haven't answered (have to work out the child care logistics), but I'm thinking of taking it.

I've been at my current job since 1997, so...big change. Daunting. Scary. Yikes!

Amazing! Hope it goes well for you. :)

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
French, I cannot imagine better news than that. Thank you God! What a wonderful report. :) What a wonderful Christmas! I can't even begin to imagine how you must feel. Thank you so much for letting us share in your joy. :Hug2:

History, your girls are beautiful!

And :hi: everyone. I'm home! It was wonderful and lovely and totally relaxing. I'll have pictures on Facebook later.

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:hi:HJ! Glad you had a good time. :)

Has a week gone by already?

And we never got around to any amok running!

:D

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:hi:HJ! Glad you had a good time. :)

Has a week gone by already?

And we never got around to any amok running!

We are such failures.:e2smack: So busy figuring out what to do we never got round to doing it.

Welcome back, HJ. Glad you had a good time.

*looks around* Soooo, where's our chocolate for being good?:D

GailD

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I knew there was something I forgot to do. :evil

Welcome back, HJ! Yes, we were all good this past week. Does that mean we get chocolate now. :D

It's an age thing, Ken. Don't worry about it. :D

We are such failures.:e2smack: So busy figuring out what to do we never got round to doing it.

Welcome back, HJ. Glad you had a good time.

*looks around* Soooo, where's our chocolate for being good?:D

Planning is everything, Muse. It's not your fault that time flies when we're having fun. :D

I was amok! I was totally amok!

Well, maybe in my head. A little. Chocolate. Amok-ish.

It's the thought that counts, Liz. :D

I'm seeing a definite trend here, HJ. :D

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
Really, that just shows how different our countries are. Our university and regular school work on the the same rosters for holidays adn such.

Really? Ours are different. It can change depending on where you are, country-wide and sometimes even state-wide.

--

Well, I did some more reading today. I don't know if I'll be able to finish the book tonight, but I think I'm going to try. LOL. Or at least get as far as I possibly can.

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
Really? Ours are different. It can change depending on where you are, country-wide and sometimes even state-wide.

Really?
Our whole country (Australia) has the same time frames. Thev vary by a couple of days here and there, but nothing more than a week difference. Our public holidays can be different and public and private schools are different, but again just by a couple of days.
We all start in Feb and end in December.

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Really?
Our whole country (Australia) has the same time frames. Thev vary by a couple of days here and there, but nothing more than a week difference. Our public holidays can be different and public and private schools are different, but again just by a couple of days.
We all start in Feb and end in December.

Ours are different as well, even between regions. Schools in Glasgow finish at a different time to the one my mum worked in on the other side of Scotland, and we're different to England (mind you, that's because it's a separate education system), and then the private schools finish at all different times. University generally goes back a bit later. We used to start the beginning of October, end of September whereas the schools go back in early August, and finish a bit later, like just before Christmas sometimes.

Then the Czech schools! Trying to figure when their terms began and ended? I just gave up and waited to be told when I had to start teaching! (Not that I taught for very long, no aptitude for it).

If I do ever end up going to Canada to this course thing, no doubt it'll be totally different again!

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
Ours are different as well, even between regions. Schools in Glasgow finish at a different time to the one my mum worked in on the other side of Scotland, and we're different to England (mind you, that's because it's a separate education system), and then the private schools finish at all different times. University generally goes back a bit later. We used to start the beginning of October, end of September whereas the schools go back in early August, and finish a bit later, like just before Christmas sometimes.

Then the Czech schools! Trying to figure when their terms began and ended? I just gave up and waited to be told when I had to start teaching! (Not that I taught for very long, no aptitude for it).

If I do ever end up going to Canada to this course thing, no doubt it'll be totally different again!

Thats one thing I noticed about Scotland when I went over when I was a kid, My gran threatned to send me to the school down the road because I was getting on her nerves. It was so different to our school back home.

GailD

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Our school (and universities) have similar times to those of Australia. Schools - mid Jan to beginning Dec and universities - Feb to end Nov. I think it's all about having a longer summer holiday.

*sigh*
Those were the days!

::hands out chocolate::

Woo-hoo! Thank you. :D

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Thats one thing I noticed about Scotland when I went over when I was a kid, My gran threatned to send me to the school down the road because I was getting on her nerves. It was so different to our school back home.

That's one thing I liked about my old job in Prague, that everyone came from somewhere else (we had Czechs, Germans, Americans, Canadians, Australians and even a girl from Kazakhstan) and comparing all the different experiences growing up and school etc.

Right now I'm trying to get transcripts of my courses I completed at uni and see if I can get credit for the Open University. I'm thinking of doing history, but I did first year history classes already, so hopefully they'll let me skip a bit, save a bit of money. Told my dad my plans today and he just made fun of me, so I am a little crestfallen. But as I told him, I may well be stupid, useless and a waste of space like he and my mother and everyone else in the family always like to tell me, but surely if I give up trying to achieve things, that's when I properly become a failure, right?

So for now I'm holding onto my little fantasy of studying hard and eventually getting a PhD and going off to teach history in Prague.

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
*sigh*
Those were the days!

I know right, at the time I felt like I'd be hard done by. but looking back I was on easy street. Didnt have to worry about anything but getting good grades.

Now we're out in the world with these things called 'responsibilities'. Can any one say over rated?

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
Told my dad my plans today and he just made fun of me, so I am a little crestfallen. But as I told him, I may well be stupid, useless and a waste of space like he and my mother and everyone else in the family always like to tell me, but surely if I give up trying to achieve things, that's when I properly become a failure, right?

So for now I'm holding onto my little fantasy of studying hard and eventually getting a PhD and going off to teach history in Prague.

This reminds me of my Dad. He never read anything I wrote, but always told me it was utter 'bullshit' and that I should get a realy hobby. It wasnt until I absolutelly aced my writing course that he started taking it and me seriously.

Hold onto that dream wqith both hands Z, dont ever let it go.

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
This reminds me of my Dad. He never read anything I wrote, but always told me it was utter 'bullshit' and that I should get a realy hobby. It wasnt until I absolutelly aced my writing course that he started taking it and me seriously.

Hold onto that dream wqith both hands Z, dont ever let it go.

(Hugs) You too, FM. :)

I was replotting my novel but I just found a thing on the new laptop that lets me open websites using the fingerprint scanner. I also found out that I have a fingerprint scanner.

But now I can open AW with just one touch!

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
I was replotting my novel but I just found a thing on the new laptop that lets me open websites using the fingerprint scanner. I also found out that I have a fingerprint scanner.

But now I can open AW with just one touch!

That sounds like some really cool James Bond stuff going on there. How cool is that.

GailD

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Told my dad my plans today and he just made fun of me, so I am a little crestfallen. But as I told him, I may well be stupid, useless and a waste of space like he and my mother and everyone else in the family always like to tell me, but surely if I give up trying to achieve things, that's when I properly become a failure, right?

It saddens me that families can still be like this, Zelenka. But know this: Some people achieve because of their family's support and some peopleachieve in spite of it. I just know that you're not going to let their fear of success taint your future.

Go, Zelenka. :e2cheer:

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
It saddens me that families can still be like this, Zelenka. But know this: Some people achieve because of their family's support and some peopleachieve in spite of it. I just know that you're not going to let their fear of success taint your future.

Go, Zelenka. :e2cheer:

Thanks Gail. Pretty much everything I've done they've made fun of (I think moving to Prague shocked them a bit though, as they didn't think I'd do something that big), so I'm used to having to just work away on my own without family support. It just really annoyed me that he still has that attitude, especially when I was in a good mood beforehand.

I've printed out all the forms to send to Glasgow Uni to get my transcripts, see if any of my history courses I did there can let me skip a bit in this new course, and hopefully I'll be starting maybe in summer next year, as I think I'm too late for the February intake.

Anyway, first day back at my old job in the TV studios today. Little bit scared as I'll be on my own. Have to make sure I remember what I'm doing! But I suppose my boss must trust me to leave me in charge of a live TV show on my own.