A Life of Crime and Chocolate

Stlight

ideas are floating where they will
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
where you can put sugar sprinkles on lots of thing
You must. Go. Shoo. Get them. Start with Street of the Five Moons.

I love the early Amelia Peabody, but around the time she started transitioning the narrative to Ramses, I started losing interest. Maybe it was the transition that lost me. I never examined it that closely. I like Ramses too, but... :Shrug: He' not Amelia and Emerson. I do love the little archaeological details Elizabeth Peters puts in the stories for those who know to pick up on.

:tongue

After Ramses grew up the books weren't funny any more. His story isn't funny, just sad sad and more sad. When it isn't sad, it's okay, all is forgiven and we're muddling through. But not a chuckle in them. And Peters treats him so badly it's painful to read. She made the girl Ramses loves pull and idiot move that was totally out of character just to put off their wedding. Who wants to read that sort of thing? Not me.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
and I keep wondering, is that the same sort of food that we call that here in the states? Wafery things w/ choc in between? Or is this another of your dang "pudding" deals, where you call everything "pudding," from coagulated meat blood to cake to pie to actual custards and mousses? ;) )
I was just talking Britain and pudding with someone today. Custards and mousse are so much nicer.

After Ramses grew up the books weren't funny any more. His story isn't funny, just sad sad and more sad. When it isn't sad, it's okay, all is forgiven and we're muddling through. But not a chuckle in them. And Peters treats him so badly it's painful to read. She made the girl Ramses loves pull and idiot move that was totally out of character just to put off their wedding. Who wants to read that sort of thing? Not me.
Oh, good, so it's not me. I'm relieved. It's really bugged me that I didn't want to read them anymore. You should like Vicky and John, except for the last one. That one felt like everyone was being mean to Schmidt. Not funny, just mean. The tone was off.

Stlight

ideas are floating where they will
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
where you can put sugar sprinkles on lots of thing
I've read some of the Vicki ones, don't remember John, maybe they were before he entered them. I remember they made me want a cigarette. ;-)

I hate books where people are mean to each other, animals and children. If a writer can't describe a villain without that... well, that might not be RYFW so enough said. I don't care for it as a plot point/growth point because I don't believe bullies can be redeemed. They just learn to fake it until forgiven then they are at it again.

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
I've read some of the Vicki ones, don't remember John, maybe they were before he entered them. I remember they made me want a cigarette. ;-)

I hate books where people are mean to each other, animals and children. If a writer can't describe a villain without that... well, that might not be RYFW so enough said. I don't care for it as a plot point/growth point because I don't believe bullies can be redeemed. They just learn to fake it until forgiven then they are at it again.

The first one, Borrower of the Night, had no John but a Schmidt. The second one, Street of the Five Moons had John, and I can't imagine a heterosexual woman forgetting him. (Could be wrong, though. ;) ) Great chase scene 2/3 of the way through in the garden with grotesque statuary. Again, she managed exciting plus funny.

Peters is pretty mean to Schmidt because he's fat. Its that whole "fat people eat all the time" bigotry thing and aren't they funny ha-ha, and Vicky is, through all the books, often mean to him. Sizeism appeals to me every bit as much as racism (not at all), so I do wince at that.

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone, it's been quite some time since I've logged in.
I cant wait until these little boys are in bed so I can sit down with a hot chocolate and relax.

My son had treatment for his relasped brain tumor and we got home on friday. He did so fantastic, took his treatment really well, and has settled back home well too.

I'm one proud Mumma.

How are you all doing here? Whats been happening since I've been MIA?

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
:hooray: FRENCH!!! ::tackle hug:: :hooray:

We've been thinking about you and it's WONDERFUL that your boy is doing well. :) I'm so thrilled for you.

In MTS news, some of us are struggling with our internal editor (and some external editors, haha) but WE WILL PREVAIL cause we are awesome and stuff. :)

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
WE WILL PREVAIL cause we are awesome and stuff. :)

And someome ^^^^ is having a birthday tomorrow!!!

:D <---- evil grin. Or maybe :evil <-- is better.
Woot!!!

Welcome back FM! So glad to hear things are going well with your son. :)

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
Good to have you back FM. Excellent news about the boy child. You should be a VERY proud mama. hug

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.

I've put my writing on hold and everything else for that matter.
I'm trying to settle back into old routines and find some time to sit and write or study for my writing course. Neither of which have had any attention for the past 3 months.

marianck

Registered
Reaction score
Hi FM! I'm new, nice to meet you! It sounds like you are going through some challenging times, glad to hear it sounds like it's going as well as it can right now!

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone, it's been quite some time since I've logged in.
I cant wait until these little boys are in bed so I can sit down with a hot chocolate and relax.

My son had treatment for his relasped brain tumor and we got home on friday. He did so fantastic, took his treatment really well, and has settled back home well too.

I'm one proud Mumma.

How are you all doing here? Whats been happening since I've been MIA?

Great news, French Maiden. You've been in my thoughts.:Hug2:

Good to have you back.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
And someome ^^^^ is having a birthday tomorrow!!!

:D <---- evil grin. Or maybe :evil <-- is better.
Woot!!!

I'm sorry. ::adjusts hearing aid:: What? I have to go to bed now. My hip hurts. ::cries::

French, it's so good to see you back here.

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
Wait. What? We can put someone on ignore? Can I get that button thingy for home?

FM! Glad to see you back and hope things are getting better for your family ::hugs::

Congrats on the new wheels Shakes!

Love Criminal Minds. I always forget what time slot it's on. :( Course I got the reruns on 3 different channels.)

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks HS.

I would like an ignore button for the new neighbours child. Actually I would like a large gag for it (not sure if boy or girl). Whining at some god forsaken time of the night is so not good.

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
LOL! I have invested in ear plugs! Though I have to say that the idea of a a 'fudge-brownie flavored inhaler' laced with Scotch would help.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
First day back at work after a week off... which kinda sucks but isn't too bad. Just trawling through email after email - and logging on here, of course.

And then, thanks to Queen Liz thwarting Charles' accession for another ten years, I have an extra long weekend coming up. Although at the moment that's sounding more like "lots of time to do chores around the house" rather than "lots of time for writing". ;)

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
hot today. 91 by 11 a.m. At least I'm not down in phoenix.

This kind of weather is dangerous for chocolate. Turning on a/c now.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
It's raining like crazy here. We were desperate for it.

Did someone say "It's chocolate season?"

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know. I'm confused. It's rainy season here, but I keep saying "chocolate season." So... it must be!

marianck

Registered
Reaction score
Taught yoga, did a cardio workout, and am sitting here staring blankly at the wall now. I definitely feel the need for chocolate, but there is none in the house. I am not sure writing can happen under these conditions. (Even though I had baklava for breakfast and just polished off a can of Pringles....)