A Life of Crime and Chocolate

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on the brunch, and ooh pretty flowers!

We all knew it was going to happen, just a matter of when. His tumor is one of one of the hardest to treat. It's chemo resistant and radiation only has a 40% chance of working. They couldnt get all of it our in his brain so that drops his chances to 30%.

He is quite excited for radiation. He likes playing with the nurses before he goes in for his General anasthetic each time. He just doesnt like any of the rest: surgery, being hooked up to IV for days at a time (thats the bit he hates the most), yet more doctors appointments.

We are 6 weeks away from bringing Charm home. I've arranged for a friend of mine to look after her if we need him to, but to bo honest I'm not 100% sure if getting her is the best decision at the moment. Even though I know she is going to bring my family so much joy and love and laughter and this really is the time that we need it most at the moment, but really I am going to have a child freshly out of surgery, he is going to have massive burns on his back from radiation, we;re going to be going back nad forth for day trips to the hospital even more than we already are. Is it fair on Charm?

I had a dream the other night that Dashy came back to life, it was the best dream. But when I woke to find my house empty of him I almost had yet another melt down.
All of this just feels like the icing on the cake. I just really want to trade lives with some one else at this point.

It's been 2 years since my son was first diagnosed and I'm still asking myself 'why us?' it's not like we're bad people, what did we do to deserve all of this?

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
I wish I had something bright and helpful to say about the, "Why us?" But I don't, other than to offer that life is so random. I wonder the same thing sometimes too, about different things though. Family and friends are good support --- and us of course. :)

As for Charm, that is a tough call. Is your son expecting Charm to come home or does he not know about that?

Not

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
French Maiden, I'm so sorry to hear about your son. I can't begin to imagine what that must be like. I'll add your family to my prayers, though, as that's the best I can really offer.

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, He knows about Charm, he is very excited. The breeder sends us pictures once a week so we can follow the pups development. He is always eager to see the pics and any books on dogs he wants me to show him Charm's breed and what she will look like when we get her.

DocBrown

Hopes to one day write for food.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm still asking myself 'why us?' it's not like we're bad people, what did we do to deserve all of this?

Oh my, please don't think you're to blame. It's a sad fact of life that unfortunate things happen to even the best of people. :e2cry:

All we can do is the best we can. :Trophy:

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
French, Doc has it right (of course :)). You didn't do anything to deserve this.

I'd agree that a puppy might not be the best move right now. They require so darn much. :( I'm struggling with our girl and she's older and my kids are a bit older, too.

Do you have a good support system in place at home? Family, friends, church/temple/?? (((hugs)))

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so sorry to hear about your son, French Maiden. You must be out of your mind with worry.

Sending you warm, positive thoughts. I will keep your family in my prayers.:Hug2:

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, it means so much that we have got so many people thinking of us.

yes, we do have a good support system, my family is wonderful and we have alot of friends standing by us as well.

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
I've decided I'm going to e-mail Charm's breeder and tell her what has happened, and tell her that it's not possible for us at this time to have a pup, that it wouldnt be in hte best interest of the pup.

I'm also going to tell her that I am interested in a female pup from a future littler (she only breeds every few years) - Hopefully things will have settled down by then nad we will be on easy street once more.

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's been 2 years since my son was first diagnosed and I'm still asking myself 'why us?' it's not like we're bad people, what did we do to deserve all of this?

I read this post yesterday and I've been thinking about it ever since. One thought that keeps returning to mind: Your little boy knew he was going to need strong, loving, supportive parents - so he chose you.

One step at a time; one day at a time; sometimes even, one hour at a time. But get through it you will.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I've decided I'm going to e-mail Charm's breeder and tell her what has happened, and tell her that it's not possible for us at this time to have a pup, that it wouldnt be in hte best interest of the pup.

I'm also going to tell her that I am interested in a female pup from a future littler (she only breeds every few years) - Hopefully things will have settled down by then nad we will be on easy street once more.

:Hug2: I know this is such a hard decision. Puppies are so much work (mine had me up and out before 5 this morning! Yikes!). What about a slightly older dog from a shelter, one who's already housebroken and won't have quite that puppy energy?

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
I am dissapointed that it has come to this, but at this point in time I simply cant raise a puppy or even dog the way I intend to.
I have to give my full attention to my boys. The one who is sick nad the opne who is going to be missing out on so much because of the medical needs of his brother.

It's not fair on any of us to add more stresses whether by a new pup or an older dog to the mix.

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know this must have been a very tough decision for you, French Maiden, but I think you've done the right thing - for you, your family, and Charm.

Sometimes the right thing just stinks.:Hug2:

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
French Maiden - been thinking about you ever since your post, even though I haven't had much chance to post. I think you're being really strong and brave and I hope things start looking up for you again soon.
Best wishes and loads of hugs,
Z

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I know this must have been a very tough decision for you, French Maiden, but I think you've done the right thing - for you, your family, and Charm.

Sometimes the right thing just stinks.:Hug2:

This. :(

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, has anyone seen Todd lately? He's been awfully quiet, even for a dad of a new baby...

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Good. Thanks, History. I emailed him this morning, so hopefully we'll hear something soon. I imagine it's just busy-with-a-new-baby-ness.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Shakes, I thought of you when I saw this on the Trader Joe's vegan product page:

Sir Andrew: "I am a great eater of beef and I believe that does harm to my wit."

Sir Toby: "No question."

William Shakespeare, Twelfth Night, Act I, Scene III

:ROFL: The Bard was pretty funny, huh?

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
In deed he was HJ! He certainly was not beef witted!