heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Heh, thanks folks. All I'd need for it to be a good author photo is a book to stick it on! (No biggie, writing a book isn't hard, is it??) ;)

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
Zelenka you look fabulous. The red umbrella is so perfect with the hat and coat.

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Lol, HJ. And thanks Shakesbear - how's the play coming along?

Just got back from a meeting with the boss to discuss the photos I'd taken for the website, which she loved and wants to buy, yay. But also mentioned the idiot from the other night. Turns out she's already heard about him doing stuff and it looks like he's not really going to get to be a guide in our company if he carries on the way he is.

And....

She's offered me a full time writing job updating the company's blog and two Facebook accounts with articles on Prague history, attractions and info on the tours etc.

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
Did someone mention cake?

Zelenka that is brilliant news about the full time writing job.

The play - well, tonight I get the whole script, that is MacBeth with my bits interspersed. I also hope that there will be a complete read through. I'm finding it hard to get back into writing prose. I have re-read some earlier works and am planning changes to one in particular. It has the working title 'Murder by Mince Pie'. Yesterday I was creative; I embroidered a tree. A sort of apple tree.

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
Zelenka - thats awsome, congrats!!

I am about 3 days into my writing course and already feeling overwhelmed.
Have I taken on too much?
I'm a single stay at home mother of 2.
I'm trying to write a book and be a great mother.
I've got a dog with hip displaysia. Yes, My Dashy-Boy had hip problems :'(
And My eldest son has hospital appointments coming out of his ears all because of a stupid tumor that decided to grow in his 3 year old head and turn our lives upside down.

I know I'm having a sook here.
I just feel like I'm being stretched too thin.

I did a bad thing and flicked right to the end of the work book and looked over the assignments before reading all of the material.
It's not like I have a dead line with the assignments - they're open - I've got 18 months to do them.

Writing something and knowing it's going to be graded is so much more nerve wracking then just writing because it feels right or good.
I'm about 38 pages into the work book and have learned so much already. My mind is spining and feels like it's about to pop right off my shoulders.
That can't be good right?

I need some chocolate!!

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
She's offered me a full time writing job updating the company's blog and two Facebook accounts with articles on Prague history, attractions and info on the tours etc.

:snoopy: You took it, right? Congratulations!

Zelenka - thats awsome, congrats!!

I am about 3 days into my writing course and already feeling overwhelmed.
Have I taken on too much?
I'm a single stay at home mother of 2.
I'm trying to write a book and be a great mother.
I've got a dog with hip displaysia. Yes, My Dashy-Boy had hip problems :'(
And My eldest son has hospital appointments coming out of his ears all because of a stupid tumor that decided to grow in his 3 year old head and turn our lives upside down.

I know I'm having a sook here.
I just feel like I'm being stretched too thin.

I did a bad thing and flicked right to the end of the work book and looked over the assignments before reading all of the material.
It's not like I have a dead line with the assignments - they're open - I've got 18 months to do them.

Writing something and knowing it's going to be graded is so much more nerve wracking then just writing because it feels right or good.
I'm about 38 pages into the work book and have learned so much already. My mind is spining and feels like it's about to pop right off my shoulders.
That can't be good right?

I need some chocolate!!

:Hug2: Wow. That's a lot on your plate. Definitely, chocolate is in order. Remember to be good to yourself. :Hug2: Do you ever get time out just for you?

DocBrown

Hopes to one day write for food.
Registered
Reaction score
Zelenka: Congrats! :)

French Maiden: Yowza!
:Jaw: :Jaw: :Jaw:

That's a lot to pile on. Take it one day at a time. There will be :Sun:at the end of the tunnel.

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys, was going to go out this morning but the storm to end all storms decided to make my place home. It is massive. Pouring rain, thunder and lightning loud enough to make my windows rattle.

Dashy-Boy cried the whole night - He's terrified of the thunder, poor boy.

Now there is an alarm going off somewhere and I cant in point where the sound is coming from.
It started after a huge thunder clap - Hope it's next door and not me.

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
French Maiden sending a cyber hug to you. Stick with the writing course and try not to be too bothered by the grading process. It is, after all, only one persons opinion. Hope the storm ends quickly.

The director has given me some more writing to do! I am so happy - no, really, I am. And one or two re-writes. Tonight was manic! There were Witches rehearsing in a corridor, Banquo muttering his lines somewhere else. The murderer was doing a brilliant East End villain. Lady M was sitting by herself learning her lines. I left early to come home and start writing. Did I write? Nope! Reason? Chocolate!

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Shakes.

Last night was a horrible night - but today is proving to be so much worse.

I woke this morning to my Dashy-Boy unable to walk properly - he cant lay down like a regular dog, when he stands his bottom is about 15 centimeters from the the floor. He is a Boxer x Staffy.
His back legs are going and going quickly.
I'm facing the unthinkable. We have an appointment for him this afternoon.

I've never had much luck with dogs, but felt like Dash was different. He was my perfect boy.
I've had him for just under 2 months now and never in my wildest dreams thought I could come to love him so much as I do.
He isnt a dog to me, he is my third son.

If the vet says what I fear he is going to say, I have to do what is right for my Dash.

Firstly because I'm a single mother and simply can't afford expensive vet bills. and secondly, because I cant let this carry on because I love him too much to let him go. It's not fair on him, and I'd be a horrible person to do that to him.

Lots of tears and lots of cuddles with my baby, I can't imagine my life without him, but know I have to decide what is best for him.

I'm not sure what is going to happen this afternoon, but either way, he has had the best last few weeks of his life. He has had so much love and freedom.

Love you Dashy-Boy. Always and forever.

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Try this. It took me about 5 times of reading it over again to find the mistake! Good luck. :) Do you see it?
394213_206548296104517_185115038247843_418551_132978688_n.jpg

Logan!

Registered
Reaction score
Haha, I've seen that before and it still took me a few seconds. I like how once you notice it, it seems so obvious and you can't help but see it.

song_of_calliope

Registered
Reaction score
Haha first I thought the mistake was in the rainbow, kept repeating "blue indigo violet" to myself!

Congratulations, Zelenka, that's such great news! And hello to all in the thread, this is my first post here.

I've been doing fine writing about 1000 words per day on my first novel but now I'm starting a training course for work that's full time in addition to my full-time job. I'm away all next week on the course and after that there will be assignments, discussions, an exam, and a few more residentials. I'm excited I get to go on the course but am really worried my writing is going to come to a screeching halt!

Last edited:

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
French Maiden - Hugest hug sent your way and whatever happens, you will always find someone to talk to about it here, to send you best wishes and support.

Mysteryriter, I feel a bit smug that I got it right away - seven years proofing news and sports scripts for Scottish TV must actually have toned up my brain - however, how come I can't do the same for my own MS???

And welcome, Song of Calliope, sounds like you've got a busy time ahead, but exciting too. Best of luck with the course!

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, maiden - I hope things work out alright for Dash! Do let us know how he gets on, won't you?

Big hugs to you both...

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:hi:Everyone.

I was MIA for a while but I found my way back here! Wow. Stuff has been happening, I see.

Congrats, Zelenka. That's so cool.

Shakesbear, hope you've got that throat knuckled down (to mix a metaphor) and congrats with that stageplay. It sounds wonderful.

French Maiden, I'm really hoping that there is some treatment for Dash. With you in spirit anyway. :)

Mystery Riter. :roll:You're messing with my mind. (Mind you - there's not much mind to mess with.) :D

Welcome, Song of Calliope. I'm sure you'll be able to pick up were you left off. :)

Mamajude. :e2arms:

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Shakes.

Last night was a horrible night - but today is proving to be so much worse.

I woke this morning to my Dashy-Boy unable to walk properly - he cant lay down like a regular dog, when he stands his bottom is about 15 centimeters from the the floor. He is a Boxer x Staffy.
His back legs are going and going quickly.
I'm facing the unthinkable. We have an appointment for him this afternoon.

I've never had much luck with dogs, but felt like Dash was different. He was my perfect boy.
I've had him for just under 2 months now and never in my wildest dreams thought I could come to love him so much as I do.
He isnt a dog to me, he is my third son.

If the vet says what I fear he is going to say, I have to do what is right for my Dash.

Firstly because I'm a single mother and simply can't afford expensive vet bills. and secondly, because I cant let this carry on because I love him too much to let him go. It's not fair on him, and I'd be a horrible person to do that to him.

Lots of tears and lots of cuddles with my baby, I can't imagine my life without him, but know I have to decide what is best for him.

I'm not sure what is going to happen this afternoon, but either way, he has had the best last few weeks of his life. He has had so much love and freedom.

Love you Dashy-Boy. Always and forever.

Oh French. I am absolutely heartbroken for you. :cry: I'm so, so sorry. (((hugs))) You're right, you have to do what's right for Dash, but it hurts so much. We faced the same situation with our sweet boy in May. I miss him so much, but am grateful he knew our love and we knew his.

Keep us posted, please. I'm thinking about you.

And hello to all in the thread, this is my first post here.

Good to have you, song. :welcome: What kinds of things do you write?

Mamajude. :e2arms:

:Hug2: You're not allowed to go anywhere! :tongue

PS. Mccardey. Provance? I'm tres jealous. :)

:eek: Wait, what? Is mccardey going to France or something?! No one ever tells me anything...

:ROFL:

song_of_calliope

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the warm welcomes!

French Maiden, I'm so sorry to hear what you're going through. I think Dashy-Boy has been so lucky to have a mom like you who obviously loves him very much. I'm sure you will do what's right for him and for you. Sending you hugs.

What kinds of things do you write?

I'm working on my first novel, a mystery, at the moment and I'm a little over 30,000 words in. It's about a woman named Julie who moves to the far north of Scotland for a job as an environmental adviser at a quarry. At the request of a dying man who she's become close to, she begins searching for his daughter who's been missing for over 30 years. Then Julie gets fired from her job for a crime she didn't commit and has to decide whether or not to stay, fight the charges against her and keep investigating.

I've posted a few bits on the SYW forum and had some great crits so far that have been incredibly helpful. I know my writing has come on by leaps and bounds already since finding this site and I feel so lucky to be here.

Last edited:

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Oo, it sounds really good, song!

Thinking about French and Dash... what's the time difference, anyone know? I don't do numbers.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Almost forgot--I got caught inside a search perimeter this morning, but slipped through. This is the great criminal act of my life. :roll:

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Oo, it sounds really good, song!

Thinking about French and Dash... what's the time difference, anyone know? I don't do numbers.

I don't know, but I think they're like 11 or 12 hours ahead of us, and we tend to be like five to nine hours ahead of the US, depending on which bit of the US. But I can't do numbers either.

Just back from having no one on a tour, but had a good evening talking nonsense with the boss and one of the guides anyway. We've decided just to do a tour where we make stuff up, but tell it in a dry and totally boring way, to see if anyone says anything or notices. Like go around saying stuff like 'And this is the Prague Astronomical Clock, which was built in 1995 for the international year of the clock, using only things found in the handbags of the ladies of Prague, some string and glue. It is actually only six inches high but due to a trick of the light appears larger. At noon on the third day of every month it plays the theme from MASH.'

Quite a silly evening.