A Life of Crime and Chocolate

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
Curious as to how you're dealing with that. Our little girl is way too interested in our cats, even after more than a week. I'm not sure how to handle it!

Dash is a big boy, my cats wouldnt stand a chance if he ever got to them.
They are inside/outside cats, and are devastated they can no longer go out the back.
When he is inside I either put them out the front or in another room with the door closed.
I have told my sons repeatedly that Dash will eat the cats if he gets near them. They understand that only Mummy can let Dash in and the cats have to be put away when he is inside.

I feel bad for the my Saxon and Julie, I havnt seen them as much since Dash became part of the family. I think they are punishing me.

Stlight

ideas are floating where they will
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
where you can put sugar sprinkles on lots of thing
HeyJude - Congrats on Stella, she's beautiful. If you trim the points off the cats' front claws they'll be able to smack her and she'll get it, probably. I had a pit bull who loved her cats and made the male dog leave them alone.

Neighbor's dog (Collie) used to visit and adored one of our cats (who had razor claws.) The cat would jump on the table, the dog would put his head up over the table to meet and greet. The cat kept his claws in and hit the dog over the head hard enough to bounce his chin on the table, but never scratched him. The dog would stay for 10+ bounces then move off to speak to another cat.

French Maiden, you're right the cats are at much more risk with him outside than inside, I don't know why, but even dogs that like their cats will sometimes go for them outside. You're right to not leave them alone together. Some dogs like cats, some don't. Most boxers do, but you've got those months he was tied up to over come. Spending time tied out, even for a good reason, makes dogs a bit assertive. Once he's over that, he may like cats. Keep the hope going that he will.

And you thought I'd gone away.

Last edited:

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I feel bad for the my Saxon and Julie, I havnt seen them as much since Dash became part of the family. I think they are punishing me.

Aw. :Hug2: I felt the same way about my boys--they definitely avoided me for a bit. But they are coming around! I hope yours do too.

HeyJude - Congrats on Stella, she's beautiful.

Thank you. :)

Neighbor's dog (Collie) used to visit and adored one of our cats (who had razor claws.) The cat would jump on the table, the dog would put his head up over the table to meet and greet. The cat kept his claws in and hit the dog over the head hard enough to bounce his chin on the table, but never scratched him. The dog would stay for 10+ bounces then move off to speak to another cat.

:roll:

And you thought I'd gone away.

And we're so glad you didn't. :Sun:

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
I have two rescue pit bulls and 3 cats. (Strays we took in as kittens.) My one dog, Rosie, doesn't pay much attention. My big boy doggie, Duke, chase the cats if the opportunity rises. Rosie acclimated well, Duke still has not.

The smallest cat set the big dog straight the one day. Duke had Carmine (my boy cat) trapped in a corner barking at it. As I come around the corner upon hearing the commotion, in flies Peppermint (little girl cat) in front of Carmine facing the dog, leaps in the air, front arms stretched, and whicha, whicha, like ninja kitty, two swipes right to the dogs nose. Gave that boy a learnin'!

When peppermint is in her cuddly mood she'll come in and sit next to Rosie. Animals are weird.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
I've never had a dog. Cats yes - dogs no. When I moved back into my parents home with Spudcat my parents cat was really annoyed. She hissed, spat and generally had a serious loss of dignity. Spudcat was a friendly, docile cat most of the time and tended to ignore the four legged hissy fit. One evening they had a fight and my mother clumped them both with a cushion. After that they were the best of friends.

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
My little SnowB is a rescue cat and seems to have been fairly badly treated before, though we don't really know. He was found dumped in a photocopier paper box at the end of the road leading to the SSPCA shelter - whoever had him didn't want to actually hand him in but I suppose at least they left him near the right place. I've had him two years now (he just had his birthday last month) and he seems to be settling really well. Still gets scared now and then though.

He's not talking to me at the moment because he's on a diet. He's taken far too well to the Czech cat food and has been gorging on it. So far though he's doing really well, got his energy back and has even lost a bit of weight already, but he does. not. like it. ;)

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
My dad put the four legged hissy fit on a diet. She stole his breakfast.

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Talking of cats, I had a very unusual visitor last night. I went out onto the patio to see if my cat wanted to come in. No cat. I stood there for a few minutes, just looking around and enjoying the stillness. We have a huge camphor tree in the front garden and I was looking in that direction when I noticed movement on one of the branches. At first I thought it was my cat. His name is, after all, Cli Ming Ting (Ming for short). But as the creature moved I realised that it was much bigger than Ming.

I crept quietly back inside, got the flashlight and shone it on the tree. It was a genet. I was thrilled. Although it's not impossible, it's very, very unusual to see one in the heart of suburbia. Our house is right next to a big park and wetland area, which is probably a nice home for genets.

Ming had parked himself below the branch and the two cats were watching each other. I sat and watched them for almost an hour. Then I called Ming inside (and he actually came). The genet sat on the branch for another few minutes and then quietly melted into the night. I felt incredibly honoured by its visit.

Here's some gen on genets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cape_Genet

Stlight

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Humm, Gail, I got a fuzzy picture of the genet (cause I've got the puter set on fastest and it doesn't flip back and forth with grace.) Now that's not the tuffed eared cat you said Ming would... is it? Or is Ming WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY braver than you thought?

I've seen SPCA South Africa, I would not wonder out to see the local furry people. I was going to say at night, but the episode I remember best is the one where the large gray monkeys were going into poeple's houses.

I think you and Ming are very brave. {There you got my very for this quarter.}

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, Gail, that is SO cool! No pictures? I bet that was amazing.

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
I took Dash for a walk this morning - He is the laziest dog, and after a 20 minute casual walk he was knackered.
On our way home he saw 'White cat' (a neighbours cat - not sure whose though, that tries to get into my house and attacks my cats). The cat darted across the street and Dash wanted to eat the thing (personally I don't think i'd be against it too much as it hurt my baby Julie - my 2 year old cat - by chasing her up the peppermint tree in the font yard and attacking her contunially, was horrible as they were both in the tree and there was nothing I could do about it).
He was on the lead and although he was exhausted from the walk all of a suddden got an energy boost when he saw this cat, his ears pricked up and his tail wagged furiously - If he wasnt on the lead he would have had White cat for morning tea.

I'm really looking froward to tonight with him - It's just me and him as my sons are going to their dad's house for the night.
We're going to have a mummy & 4 legged son night :).

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
Gail that is amazing! The Genet is a lovely creature and seeing one that close WOW!

French Maiden do you have a hose pipe? If so try squirting white cat with water the next time s/he is on your property. A short sharp squirt might be enough to discourage her from visiting again.

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
French Maiden do you have a hose pipe? If so try squirting white cat with water the next time s/he is on your property. A short sharp squirt might be enough to discourage her from visiting again.

Oh my goodness - That is the best resolution. I cant believe I didnt think of it earlier. Thank you so freakin much. I came home from dropping my son off at school thismorning to White cat bailing up Julie against my front door. Hopefully I can keep my kitties safe with your genius.

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
You are so welcome! One thing I remembered after posting this morning - when my bro lived in Scotland he had a lot of kitties and they were all bullied by a nasty critter of a cat. So at every window and door that lead outside he had placed a pint pot of water. Said nasty critter got a face full of water every time it tried to enter the house. It stopped calling after about a month.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks HJ. I shouldn't be this excited over a computer, but hehehehehehehe! :evil

Hey, did we ever hear more about the computer after it was opened? How is it? Living up to your expectations? Does it have a name?

DocBrown

Hopes to one day write for food.
Registered
Reaction score
No name yet. It has to develop its own personality first. ;)

I am happy to announce it is very snappy. :D

No words yesterday besides a blog post. I spent most of the day tweaking the interface and start menu and installing my favorite programs, etc.. I am very fussy about such things, alas, Windows 7 does not allow me to tweak things as I would like.

I had to download a special program to be able to muck with the "All programs" menu and it still isn't to my liking. I feel like I'm working with a Mac. :Headbang:

:idea: If I switch to classic mode, I wonder if I could change things? I'll have to try after I get done writing.

My last computer didn't have enough RAM to install Dragon Naturally Speaking. I installed it yesterday, but I haven't been using it to write with today. I'll have to play with it a bit to get used to it, but then, you know how that is. ;)

Over all, I feel its, and therefore my, power is growing. Muwahahahaha! :e2bouncey

That smiley may not reflect the subtext I was going for...

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here is a pic of the spotted genet. This photo is almost exactly how it looked from my patio.

I don't think Ming was in any danger as genets are not aggressive by nature. They are thieves, though, so I make a point of not leaving any food outside. :)

images

No monkeys in Johannesburg (aside from the politicians) but you get lots of them along our east and south coast.

Last edited:

DocBrown

Hopes to one day write for food.
Registered
Reaction score
It would seem to me that if you want the genets to appear from time to time, wouldn't you want to leave out some food for them?

Or is this a bad idea?

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
That is one stubborn cat! Most would give it up after one or two soakings!

More of a slow learner!

Here is a pic of the spotted genet. This photo is almost exactly how it looked from my patio.

I don't think Ming was in any danger as genets are not aggressive by nature. They are thieves, though, so I make a point of not leaving any food outside. :)

images

No monkeys in Johannesburg (aside from the politicians) but you get lots of them along our east and south coast.

That is one gorgeous moggie.

Stlight

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
FrenchMaiden, Dash is effectively coming back from being in bed for six months. Before you know it he'll be charging the world. I suggest looking for a no tug harness. It worked with the pit bull, who when I'd speed up to match her would go just a little faster.

Choke collar meant nothing to her, she was happy to drag me up a hill ( I was flat on the ground holding onto the leash attached to the choke collar and she was six months old. She wasn't even breathing hard at the top of the hill.)

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
FrenchMaiden, Dash is effectively coming back from being in bed for six months. Before you know it he'll be charging the world. I suggest looking for a no tug harness. It worked with the pit bull, who when I'd speed up to match her would go just a little faster.

Choke collar meant nothing to her, she was happy to drag me up a hill ( I was flat on the ground holding onto the leash attached to the choke collar and she was six months old. She wasn't even breathing hard at the top of the hill.)

Every time i think of what they have done to him it makes my blood boil. They claim to have loved him - Thats not love, thats neglect. It's not even like it's some stranger that i'm never going to meet, it's my only sister. Argh.

He doesn't pull when walking on the lead. He wanted to run off in the direction of the cat, but i have a lead that I can lengthen or shorten, so I have it so he is only about a metre in front of me.

I have him in a harness. I like walking with him in a hraness rather than just a colar, i have more control over him. If he becomes too strong for me i will invest in a Halty - It's a facial like harness that makes the dog walk perfectly without pulling.

My mum's old dog was notorious for chasing cars and jumping in front of oncoming traffic. She bought one of these Haltys and the dog changed instantly.

Thanks for the advice :)