A Life of Crime and Chocolate

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
Maiden I join my prayers to HJ, that the years will go quickly.

I recently joined the local Amateur Dramatic group as I was interested in their latest project. Last night my first bit of writing for them was 'premièred'! 'twas The Prologue. It was well received, but the actors really had to work at it and I was quietly pleased by the way the director had them interpret it. Sigh ... though some were a tad more interested in Sir John Gielgud's boots that I had taken along!

Did I say I was a name dropper?

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
HJ - Congrats to your dad being cancer free for such a long time, thats truley an accomplishment :).

We hope to join him in 9 years and 3 months... not that im counting :)

It was/is an awful thing to have to go through, but I am greatful for the experience, it gave me my inspiration to write my WIP.

Thanks for the prayers and warm wishes <3 Much appreciated xx

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.

French Maiden - hope you have many more years with him. I lost my mother to endometrial cancer last year after three years of chemo so I know how hard it can be to support someone through all those treatments. Really glad he's in remission and hugs for you and your family.

Z

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Its a girl!! We just had our second child! Welcome to the world, Charley Frances Bush!

Congratulations, Todd.:TheWave: (I love the name Charley.)

Originally Posted by French Maiden
Thanks for the concern. Yes, He's fine, just follow up appointments for his eyes.

Last year he was having treatment for cancer - a brain tumor (he's in remission now) so we've got 10 more years of follow up appointments - i better get used to trhem :p
Wow. I'm so sorry your family has to go through that.

My dad recently celebrated 10 years cancer-free after stage 4 colon cancer. We are and with him. I pray those 10 years go quickly for you and your boy.

I also second HJ. Sending you hugs and warm thoughts.:Hug2

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Means a lot to know we have people thinking of us :)

I got peckish while relaxing lastnight, and accidentally unwrapped one of the xmas gifts i was going to give to my step-sibling and ate it - A whole box of chocolates.....

I finished my 6th chapter yesterday. Started my 7th today. I'm so exhausted, i think my eyeballs are hanging out my head, but it was well worth it!

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Maiden, I echo the sentiments expressed here. Let's believe that the future is now going to be healthy and happy for your son.

Shakesbear, Am Dram! I love it. Some years back I started an Am Dram group and we had an absolute ball. After a few years people either moved away or had other priorities and it sort of slowed to a stop. But it was such fun. There is another group in our area and my hubby and I seldom miss their productions. They present two plays a year in the local community hall. Hugely entertaining!

Sir John Gielgud's boots? Thereby hangs a tailtale. Pray, tell?

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
Shakesbear, Am Dram! I love it. Some years back I started an Am Dram group and we had an absolute ball. After a few years people either moved away or had other priorities and it sort of slowed to a stop. But it was such fun. There is another group in our area and my hubby and I seldom miss their productions. They present two plays a year in the local community hall. Hugely entertaining!

Sir John Gielgud's boots? Thereby hangs a tailtale. Pray, tell?

I am enjoying the Am Dram. They are a really nice group of people - no drama queens or kings! About the boots ... they were a loan to me from a friend to help out a guy who was going to play Father Christmas at a children's home. When I went to return them I was told that the friend had gone home to Australia. So I had no way of returning them. They were worn, so I was told by said friend, by Sir John in the 1974 production of the Tempest (directed by Sir Peter Hall) at the National Theatre when the company was at the Old Vic Theatre.

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They were worn, so I was told by said friend, by Sir John in the 1974 production of the Tempest (directed by Sir Peter Hall) at the National Theatre when the company was at the Old Vic Theatre.

Ah. So the mystery of the missing props is solved. :D Now go break a leg. :)

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Enjoy the production Shakesbear! (I'm starting work, hopefully, on a show to go to the Edinburgh Festival soon, excited to be back behind the scenes).

I am in LA right now, having just done my SciFi convention. Still swooning over one particular actor. No writing done at all because I've had 4 hours sleep in 48 and nothing to eat for 24 hours, so am somewhat beat, ;)

However, I did meet Khal Drogo / Conan! http://twitter.com/?photo_id=1#!/CarsonPeaty/status/138470723365769217/photo/1

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Hi
:waves:
Sounds like everyone's WAY more productive than I am.

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
That is SO cool! He's... huge! So who's the actor you're actually swooning over? You can tell us...

Yeah that's why I went for the photo because I thought just how ridiculous, a wee tiny Scot next to him, ;)

As for my one and only celebrity crush, he's one of the minor actors on Stargate Atlantis (yes, shameless scifi tv fan). His name's David Nykl, he's Czech Canadian, and yes I did speak Czech to him! http://twitter.com/#!/CarsonPeaty/media/slideshow?url=pic.twitter.com/cpMD5tGI

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Cute! :) How cool that you're doing this. It sounds like a lot of fun.

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Cute! :) How cool that you're doing this. It sounds like a lot of fun.

I'm a daft fangirl, I'll admit it freely, but it's my one little vice I suppose, and i have made some really good friends going to these things. I'm just feeling pretty proud of myself because he actually was calling down to me from the stage during his Q&A session and so I not only had to speak to Czech to him but in front of a load of people, and he said I was inspirational, that I'd gone to CZ and done so well with the language. So nothing is bringing me off my high, not for a long time!

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have good song ideas for a book trailer for a thriller? I'm stumped. :( The same people publishing the anthology in my sig want to publish my short story but I wanted a book trailer to promote it.

DocBrown

Hopes to one day write for food.
Registered
Reaction score

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Those were $40 and $45 US I think, but some were more expensive. Ben Browder from Farscape was like seriously dear, so much so that I didn't get it as I want to eat this month!

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
HJ it is the sort of thing that makes my brain go crazy as well. A 'pre-existing medical condition' that 'flared up' really? Mind boggling! I shall now go and make myself a mug of hot chocolate and ponder what sort of condition the man was in to have left the case behind!

DocBrown

Hopes to one day write for food.
Registered
Reaction score
Those were $40 and $45 US I think, but some were more expensive.

OUCH! That's expensive enough. I'm afraid I'm much too cheap for such things, but then, I don't even look at the pictures I have so I'm not a memento kind of guy.

Anyone lose a million in cash?

I swear the next time I'm out and someone loses luggage in a shop I'm saying that it's mine. I mean, what are the odds that it's really a bomb? ;)

Logan!

Registered
Reaction score
Damn, I just found out that one of my MC's love interests has the same name as Ava Gardner's character from the film The Barefoot Contessa. Totally coincidence considering I've never seen that film.

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
I hate when stuff like that happens! You write a book, then all of a sudden you discover that there is a book you never heard of with the exact same plot! Happened to me with a short story once, thank gosh not a novel. :D That would be awful.

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
I hate when stuff like that happens! You write a book, then all of a sudden you discover that there is a book you never heard of with the exact same plot! Happened to me with a short story once, thank gosh not a novel. :D That would be awful.

Happened to me. I spent months researching a historical novel based on the real (as opposed to Shakespeare's) Macbeth. Got it all done, got my outline, and I'm not joking, the very day I was about to start writing, Nigel Tranter's book om exactly the same thing comes out. Talk about grrrrr!

Character names... originally the MC in my now trunked mystery novel was named Jan Rychtar, until I discovered there was a prolific Czech journalist with the same name. Can't remember if it's happened with any others.