A Life of Crime and Chocolate

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh my! You are evil, you do know that don't you?

I have always made my own Christmas cakes - just love the bit of the recipe that says "baste with Brandy or Scotch once or twice a week". Get high on the fumes!

Moi? :D Okay. Maybe just a little.

Oh. I know about those fumes.

But I'm not half as thunk as you drinkle peep I am.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
Moi? :D Okay. Maybe just a little.

Oh. I know about those fumes.

But I'm not half as thunk as you drinkle peep I am.

LOL! The fumes are good aren't they? I love the anticipation of slowly unwrapping the foil the cakes are in and waiting for the fumes to hit the nostrils. I've often thought that it would make a good murder method - the murderer having basted the cake with something nasty or that the victim is allergic to. Never got much further than that.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
:roll:

So how was everyone's weekend? Ours was busy, as always. Sundays are my big day. I'm hoping to start writing again today...

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Almost forgot, I wanted to tell you guys this story. My dd (she's 8) was watching me do some editing yesterday and she said, thoughtfully, "I wish it didn't take so much effort to get published. What if your agent could just publish it for you?" So I explained how my agency does assist with self-publishing and she lit up like a Christmas tree. "You could totally get published right away then!" Hee hee. Smart girl. I explained that some people do that and really like it, but that I'm pursuing a different path, etc. She was disappointed. She must have been talking to my dad, he had a similar thought process recently. :tongue

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
My weekend was OK, particularly yesterday. Had a good morning shopping for new walking boots (so I can go for walks in the big nature reserve outside town), and spent the rest of the day baking and cooking. Chicken soup turned out exactly how I wanted it to despite me just making up the recipe to try and approximate the soup I get at the restaurant in town. Spag bol was good too. Marzipan shapes, a bit shapeless, but tasty and the banana cakes turned out OK. Did a bit of cleaning, sorted the recycling, reveled in my domestic goddess-hood ;) then finally started my painting, which has been sitting as a blank canvas on the easel for days. Got a few thousand words done on the WIP and settled just to watch anything I could find. Came across 'Snow White: A Tale of Terror' on TV, hadn't seen it for about ten years, and spotted my all time favourite actor doing a wee background role, really early on in his career.

Saturday I spent preparing for the tour, which I already mentioned didn't happen, heh.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
You paint, too?! How cool. Though I will be honest here. I don't think it's entirely fair that you have more than one creative talent. :tongue

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
I made bread and cooked chicken and read. Also did notes about MacBeth for the AmDram group I recently joined. What larks!

Desert Author

Writing junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeffegerton.com
Great thread

I really need to get on the boards more. Here's a thread based on chocolate, that I didn't even know existed. Finally someone besides me realizes that chocolate should be at the top of the food chain. We're making progress!

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
You paint, too?! How cool. Though I will be honest here. I don't think it's entirely fair that you have more than one creative talent. :tongue

I suppose I do paint now. This is my first attempt with acrylics. I usually just draw in either pencil or pen and ink. (But I was trained as a scenic painter at college and took art at school). I bought myself some paints, brushes and canvases ages ago when I was feeling 'arty' and they've sat for about two years in my house. Last time I went back to Scotland I brought them home to Prague, because for the first time since I bought the things, now that I've moved here, I actually feel like painting. So far it is terrible. But the glorious thing about painting is if it turns out totally crappy I can say it's modern art, and not meant to look like anything. ;)

I wish I had a creative talent. Any would do.

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:roll:

So how was everyone's weekend? Ours was busy, as always. Sundays are my big day. I'm hoping to start writing again today...

:hi:everyone.

I spent the entire weekend working in my garden. It's full summer here and everything is coming into flower. My favourite time of the year.

Of course, I'm walking like a question mark today, from all the bending, but I got the weeds running scared. :D

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
I need to spend time in the garden but there is a problem. I have a huge Eucalyptus tree there and it is in flower at the moment and the garden reeks of Eucalyptus - sort of minty up your nose smell. And the flowers are all over everywhere. If I stand still for a minute I'll get covered by them.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I need to spend time in the garden but there is a problem. I have a huge Eucalyptus tree there and it is in flower at the moment and the garden reeks of Eucalyptus - sort of minty up your nose smell. And the flowers are all over everywhere. If I stand still for a minute I'll get covered by them.

That is way cool! I love that smell.

Hubby planted an orange tree and a lemon tree for me a few months ago--instead of waiting the requisite few years, the orange tree is bearing fruit and almost ready! Woo hoo*! I love FL.

*But I would have preferred the lemons, as I use those a lot.

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have a garden (except the shared bit down the back, only thing that grows there is washing, to paraphrase Dylan Thomas). But then that's a good thing because I have black fingers. Giving me a plant is the plant equivalent of a death sentence.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Oh you guys. All the chocolate in the world can't take the edge off the Penn State stuff. :(

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
That is way cool! I love that smell.

Hubby planted an orange tree and a lemon tree for me a few months ago--instead of waiting the requisite few years, the orange tree is bearing fruit and almost ready! Woo hoo*! I love FL.

*But I would have preferred the lemons, as I use those a lot.

Sadly I am going to have the tree removed. It has grown far to big for the garden and the flowers are getting everywhere.

Penn State stuff.
please explain?

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
So tonight I will try again to do a tour of the castle. See if anyone turns up tonight. I'm kind of hoping, in a way, that they won't, so I can get home early to do some writing. Is that bad? ;)

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck, Zelenka! And remember, we're waiting for pictures.

What's everyone up to this weekend? We just got done with chocolate chip pancakes, and soon there's the usual college football (though this week is older, wiser, and far, far sadder). Hubby is in town, which is unusual but quite a nice change. :)

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
Google Penn State Sandusky scandal. Have a barf bag handy. I can't stand to talk about it.

Thanks.

Moving swiftly on ...

I went and checked out the local hall where a friend and I are going to be holding a Christmas Fair in a couple of weeks. We then went for elevenses in a local bakery. Very nice! Then we went shopping - to a huge barn that sold all sorts of stuff. I was given thirteen free teddy bears. They are brand new but rather sad as they have all lost arms/legs - but I have those so intend to repair them and sell them at the fair. I will of course feed them chocolate to keep their spirits up and to make them strong enough to cope with the leg/arm replacement programme. Those that are unable to bear the strain (go on, groan at the awful pun!) will become Pirate Bears! Yo ho ho! Tomorrow I am going on a pot pourri hunt.

Zelenka I too am waiting for pictures.

Last edited:

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
Zelenka I looove the hat! And you look so good in it! I can understand a tourist wanting their photo with you. A large Scotch can help you to warm up.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score