A Life of Crime and Chocolate

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
Do you ever discover, much to your own surprise, that a bit of what you're writing is autobiographical?

I do actually. The piece I'm working on atm is about a young girl who lost her mother to cancer.

Of course, thank heavens, I have no experience with the loss of a parent, but I do have experience with cancer.

I didnt mean for it to turn out that way, it just seemed to happen. It worked though, and ultimatelly I think thats all that matters.

Writing for me and I presume for a lot of people is therapy, and our subconscious getting these thoughts and feelings out, with us aware of it happening or not , I imagine would be good for us.

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
I think we're all inspired by strange things. Whether it's on purpose or subconsciously. Plus, like stated before, it can be treated as kind of a type of therapy to some degree.

I don't know though, sometimes I avoid stuff in my writing just because it's a bit close to home. I suppose maybe I shouldn't avoid it, but there are some things it's a bit early to write about. The death of a parent to cancer is actually one of them. It's only just over two years since I lost my mother after a three year battle and that's something I'd not like to go into just yet. I will pull from experience, yeah, but my writing's also an escape.

Again, hadn't actually thought about the fact that I do that until now. It's interesting to see the stuff I actually do avoid and the stuff I don't mind writing about.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
That would be your subconscious, Liz. You think you're sleeping, but it's up and re-writing your book for you.

This would explain my perennial exhaustion. :D

Weirdly though, my WIP I wrote two years ago but trunked, my friend and constant cheerleader had a read and came back to me all shocked that I'd killed a Scottish journalist off. She thought I'd killed some literary version of myself, because at the time I was working for the newsroom etc, and she found all these similarities between me and the character

I suppose we write what we know, especially character. I tend to add characteristics that I'd like to have - my heroine, for instance, is very articulate when she's mad. Me, if I'm ticked off, I can't put two coherent words together. It's very frustrating!

Writing for me and I presume for a lot of people is therapy, and our subconscious getting these thoughts and feelings out, with us aware of it happening or not , I imagine would be good for us.

Yes, very true. Took a long time - more than 40 years, actually! - before I started seriously writing as not-therapy. And yet...therapy it still is, it seems, whether I want it to be or not.

I don't know though, sometimes I avoid stuff in my writing just because it's a bit close to home.

:Hug2:Zelenka :Hug2: I've been lucky so far, in that I have not lost anyone very close due to precipitous illness; but I do find that I can't write anything about hurting a child. That wasn't true before my daughter was born, but now I can't cope with the concept at all.

I do think we write about things when we can, and when we must.

I have submitted a query. I am proud of me.

GO HJ! :e2cheer:

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you. :) I have absolutely no hope with this agent, so it was more symbolic than anything. :D

tarak

for certain qualities of "sane"
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Central Pennsylvania - the gateway to Harrisburg
Best of luck, HJ. I'm very close to the point where I can think about querying again. I have to sit down and write a synopsis. Ugh.

My daughters are in Girl Scouts and last fall I bought a few cans of wasabi almonds. They are completely addicting. I'm glad I only bought two cans.

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Quick question, if I may.

I'm about to query an agent who has requested a whole lot of things to be sent. He also wants to know which readers my book is aimed at. I don't think 'Mrs America' is quite the answer he's looking for.

So, what is a good way of stating this? And also, is there any website that gives one any idea of how to group readers? I guess I'm looking for a professional way of putting the fact that my book is aimed at women who like a gently written whodunnit without it being a cozy.

Sorry if I'm a little fuzzy with this. I lay awake most of last night thinking about it, so I'm tired and rushing this post because there's a thunderstorm bearing down on Jo'burg and I've got to go unplug everything until it's gone.

But, any suggestions anyone? Much appreciated.

:D

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Quick question, if I may.

I'm about to query an agent who has requested a whole lot of things to be sent. He also wants to know which readers my book is aimed at. I don't think 'Mrs America' is quite the answer he's looking for.

So, what is a good way of stating this? And also, is there any website that gives one any idea of how to group readers? I guess I'm looking for a professional way of putting the fact that my book is aimed at women who like a gently written whodunnit without it being a cozy.

Sorry if I'm a little fuzzy with this. I lay awake most of last night thinking about it, so I'm tired and rushing this post because there's a thunderstorm bearing down on Jo'burg and I've got to go unplug everything until it's gone.

But, any suggestions anyone? Much appreciated.

:D

I like onesecondglance's suggestion. I also like your language. Very direct.

I'll think about it more after I've had coffee. :)

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
my book is aimed at women who like a gently written whodunnit without it being a cozy.

Gail I would be happy to read a book with that tag on it! Just what I enjoy - a good whodunnit. When can I read it???

GailD

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yay. The storm's passed. I'm back. Spent the last two hours copying and pasting the first two chapters - and couldn't stop myself doing yet another edit. Now it's good (as it will ever be) to go.

Perhaps this is one of those "fans of 'x' and 'y' will enjoy this" questions?

This is very good suggestion, thanks OSG. I've often tried to figure out who I could compare my writing to. Maeve Binchy perhaps, a little, but as a whodunnit. Elizabeth George, without the interminably long descriptions. Lisa Gardner, without the incredibly clever plot twists. :Shrug:I'm stumped.

Gail I would be happy to read a book with that tag on it! Just what I enjoy - a good whodunnit. When can I read it???

LOL. I love this. I think I should just give the agent a link to this ^ post. :D

I like onesecondglance's suggestion. I also like your language. Very direct.

I'll think about it more after I've had coffee. :)

*taps foot* :D Can I pour you another cup? :D

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
LOL! Go a head!

Elizabeth George? She wrote the Inspector Lynley books. I watched the tv series (Nat Parker. . . drool!) but I cannot get into the books. meh . . .

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have submitted a query. I am proud of me.

Yay! Wishing you every luck.:Hug2:

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesecondglance
Perhaps this is one of those "fans of 'x' and 'y' will enjoy this" questions?

This is very good suggestion, thanks OSG. I've often tried to figure out who I could compare my writing to. Maeve Binchy perhaps, a little, but as a whodunnit. Elizabeth George, without the interminably long descriptions. Lisa Gardner, without the incredibly clever plot twists. :Shrug:I'm stumped.
I think comparing your book to another (or more than one) is so difficult. Trying to get the right mix/feel can seem impossible. Saying that, I do like the two authors you've mentioned, gives a very good idea of what your book is about.

I'm with you, though, Gail, doing the same with my own book has left me 'stumped' too. :Headbang:

Good luck with the query.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
*taps foot* :D Can I pour you another cup? :D

I HAVE NOW HAD APPROXIMATELY 57 CUPS OF COFFEE AND AM READY TO BRAINSTORM. :e2coffee:

But I can't sit still long enough.

:e2dance:

Can you just say Genre: Awesomesauce? No?

Call it suspense. Or mystery. Depending on what the agent likes. Really, we put far too much thought into genre. Half the time the agent isn't even sure. Just pick one thing, call it that, and go! Really, Gail, I'd call yours a mystery. Don't sweat the other stuff.

And now back to :e2dance:!

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
ONLY 57 cups? Small? Medium? Large? Decaff? Latte? I want details HJ! Details . . . !!

I find it is off putting when I read that an author is the " New Who Ever!" Especially if I do not like or have never read their work. I do find it inviting when an author is described as an exciting new writer. We all have our own distinct styles and I think we should push that and not be pushed in to a mould that possibly should have been broken.

I am SO not in a good mood. The taxi company I use could take me to my destination this evening but were stopping work an hour before I wanted to be picked up. Due to the snow that was forecast. Has it snowed? No it bloody hasn't. S'bear in full growly mode. hmph.

IAMWRITER

QWERTY!!!
Registered
Reaction score
OMG - the snow is coming down! * Its like a blizzard. So beautiful and I'm resisting the urge to run outside and act like a child. *just a little excited*

Love snow but when it freezes over? Tres horrible!

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
It's snowing in my dad's village, but it better stop by tomorrow. I have a new project to work on (for one of my conventions, going to make a custom dress, complete with lighty-uppy bits. Yes I am a nerd...) and I need my dad to show me what I need for the electronic part of it. I have a rough idea myself but I've never wired up a load of LEDs before and so I figured he could show me properly. He uses them for his model railways and stuff. But if the snow gets really heavy, he can't get across to Glasgow. Not that I'm selfish or nothing.

In terms of the genre, GailD, I kind of go with the others here. I liked the way you phrased it yourself, a mystery but not a cozy. I got what you meant by that and had a clear idea of the sort of book it was. I find the comparison thing hard too, but I suppose it is a way for agents to figure where they might place the book.

HJ - good luck with the query! I have everything crossed for you. :)

GailD

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Exactly!

Thanks everyone. :D

Actually, it's not the genre the agent was questioning, but what segment of the reading market the book is aimed at. Huh? I thought that was the agent's job to figure that out.

Anyway, I just sent out the query, stated that it is a mystery and sort of evaded that question.

:e2bouncey:e2bouncey:e2bouncey

Sorry about your taxi, Shakes. But don't get angry. You'll upset Clarence and you know what he does when he's upset. :D

Is there any more tea in that pot, Silver? I could so do with a cup right now. :D