A Life of Crime and Chocolate

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
Posting after myself... the first night was the BEST! (so far) Two more performances. The second half of the Sandwich was Midsummer - a new take on Midsummer Night's Dream - I am lost for words. The cast were all pupils from the local high school and they were just so good. Very clever production with lots of laughter.

Best bit for me? The audience laughed at my jokes!

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you both. Tonight was, well, WOW! I sat through the Macbeth/Dirty Duck bit in a state of total awestruckness (going Shakespeare and making up my own words) at the skill of the Players. They were just so good. Second night that I sat and said nothing - did I say I am the prompt? I did not stay for Midsummer - just wanted to be at home and think about the production.

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
Well I entered a poetry contest here at AW, Dreams, Visions or Nightmares. Now I'm not much of a poet but Ambrosia wanted enteries, so I entered.

I don't read much poetry either, but wow, I'm having a real hard time picking only three!!! There's some brilliant work there. You guys should go over and give it a lookie-lou and vote. (Besides, it will help make Ambrosia's contest a success.)

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tonights dress rehearsal was sooo good.

Congratulations on a great production, Shakesbear. And you just proved that the old myth about a good dress rehearsal forshadowing a bad opening night is now well and truly busted.

:D

So. When's the next one?

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
GailD the next one is in May. The Little Shop of Horrors. The producer spoke to me last night to invite me to the meeting next Tuesday. I think he wants me to be the Producers Assistant! Heigh ho! Lots of work but no writing.

Tonight is the last night - sort of sad but relieved. Last nights audience was really receptive. They loved the BBC news bits and they also got all the jokes.

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
We did Little Shop at theatre college. Ours was a bit of a disaster though, due to crappy technical type stuff dying ten minutes before curtain up on the first night. Fun to do though. We enjoyed it a lot.

Enjoying my third day off in a row before back to double shifts tomorrow (and training for the new Charles Bridge tour), but just found out I got my first mention on TripAdvisor, and a five star review! Mine is the topmost one, "Prague Castle After Dark"

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
GailD the next one is in May. The Little Shop of Horrors. The producer spoke to me last night to invite me to the meeting next Tuesday. I think he wants me to be the Producers Assistant! Heigh ho! Lots of work but no writing.

Tonight is the last night - sort of sad but relieved. Last nights audience was really receptive. They loved the BBC news bits and they also got all the jokes.

Here's hoping you're getting standing ovations as I type. :D

Little Shop of Horrors is great. Maybe you can persuade the producer to let you re-write the ending. I always thought it was sad that Seymour and Audrey got eaten by Audrey II. (Well, not sad exactly, but you know what I mean.) Maybe you could write a really funny ending with white picket fences and happily ever afters - except for a strange plant that keeps popping up in a corner of their garden.....

:D

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
Speaking of seriously cool. :) These guys have been working hard for this, and are raising tons of money. I'm proud of my little church.

Wow Jude that is impressive! It gives me hope to see young people making a sacrifice for someone else. Good on them!

That's way cool Shakesbear. Maybe they can rewrite the ending so it's more like the movie and Audrey and Seymour live. My oldest son went to college for costume design. Not a lot of money in it here, but he has done costumes for the Irish Theater in Buffalo, NY. He also did some for a B horror movie call Poultrygeist. Anyway, he would get free tickets to the theater. It was fun.

And Zelenka, good for you! Great reviews!

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
HJ you have good reason to be proud of you little church - and of the young ones who can show compassion for children who are a world away from them. They are amazing.

Tonight was the last performance of Shakespeare Sandwich. We played to a sell out audience -had to put more seats out - of about, I think, 150 people. Maybe more. It was truly the best performance. At one point I lost my place in the script - Macbeth's "Is this a dagger. . ." was mesmerising. After the performance I was told not to leave - and was presented with a framed poster. The cast and production team had all written such lovely messages on the back. I feel very humbled.

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
Wow Jude that is impressive! It gives me hope to see young people making a sacrifice for someone else. Good on them!

That's way cool Shakesbear. Maybe they can rewrite the ending so it's more like the movie and Audrey and Seymour live. My oldest son went to college for costume design. Not a lot of money in it here, but he has done costumes for the Irish Theater in Buffalo, NY. He also did some for a B horror movie call Poultrygeist. Anyway, he would get free tickets to the theater. It was fun.

And Zelenka, good for you! Great reviews!

I am not sure about the re-write. I'll see how the production progresses. I am full of anticipation - want to see how they do Audrey the Vampyre Plant!

Go Zelenka - trip advisor is good!

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
My 100th post!

I think I like it here.

Here likes you, too. :)

Tonight was the last performance of Shakespeare Sandwich. We played to a sell out audience -had to put more seats out - of about, I think, 150 people. Maybe more. It was truly the best performance. At one point I lost my place in the script - Macbeth's "Is this a dagger. . ." was mesmerising. After the performance I was told not to leave - and was presented with a framed poster. The cast and production team had all written such lovely messages on the back. I feel very humbled.

Aw! How sweet. :) I'm so glad it went so well. That's amazing that you had to put out more seats!

Thanks for the love for our youth. Such a great thing. My kids are involved, in their own way (they're still very young) and raised some money on their own. I'm proud of them. :)

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
I always used to love watching how the kids at my mum's school used to get into projects like this. Total enthusiasm and none of the whining and egotism I used to get when I was a stage manager for adults ;) I actually have a vague idea at the back of my mind about starting a theatre group with some friends, basically as another way for kids here to learn English, but like through doing plays or songs or whatever, then we can see about putting on a concert maybe at the end of term. But it's all just a thought right now. I'll need to look more into it.

Got a question though I wanted to run past you wise folks - is it weird, do you think, to give someone a story as a gift? Basically I need to get a present for someone and I want something that's a bit more personal and special than a box of chocolates from Marks & Spencer, only I'm not really all that artsy, can't really draw or make anything, so I was thinking what I do is I write stuff. And so was thinking of making up a special copy of a story, getting it printed on like Lulu or something, and giving it as a gift. Only, is that weird? I mean, would you think "wha?" if someone gave you something like that?

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Zelenka, I think it's a perfectly lovely idea!

Unless, of course, you have the person eaten by zombies or something. :D

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Zelenka, I think it's a perfectly lovely idea!

Unless, of course, you have the person eaten by zombies or something. :D

See, that's the issue - not zombies admittedly, but I do write murder mysteries. But not featuring the person in question! I was thinking of doing another of these side stories based on the premise of my WIP, which I think would be to his taste in terms of genre etc, and he's kind of given me some help on that project anyway in terms of ideas and stuff. I just didn't want it to be something eww, you know?

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks folks. I'm looking into the feasibility of it, in terms of how long it'd take to actually get a copy made. Got a nice picture to use for a cover though.

Nothing else to do today, since I'm at home sick again. Tried to speak to the man in the shop today and I dunno about Czech, it sounded more like Chipmunk. My voice is totally gone! Never heard it so weird before.