Reaction score
*sends heavily armed, attractive extract team with pie to Namatu*

Good to see you here. :Hug2:

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Gail and HeyJude. I'm looking forward to that extraction team... :D

Enforcing new boundaries at work. For two days in a row, I've left an hour earlier than has become my new habit. It's a strange thing to have another hour to myself in the evenings. So far it hasn't resulted in much, but hey: two days. Give me three and I might start to do something with it.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Hello all!

Namatu, I hear you. I'm working away from home four days a week at the moment, and forcing myself to turn off the work phone and give myself some time is proving difficult. I've not written a word for weeks. :( I might try it your way.

Anyway, never let it be said that our genre is unrealistic. Here's a developing story that sounds more and more like a scandi-noir mystery with each new revelation:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-41021223

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, muse​!

osg
, please join me in reclaiming personal time. So far I am using my personal time to watch cheesy dance shows and movies. Totally rewarding.

I read that story this morning! How awful. That poor woman. ... and a submarine?

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sky news has been following that story, too. It's a real shocker.

Killers have used all kinds of defenses in court. SODDIT being not the least of them. Just for once, I'd like to hear this:

Judge: Why did you do it?
Accused: Well, I had all this personal time...and the telly was on the blink.

:ROFL:

Last edited:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
We interrupt your regularly scheduled true crime discussion for...a tutoring question.

The Kid is in Algebra I this year, after having pretty much sailed through pre-algebra. Go, Kid! Except...her teacher isn't great, and she's already getting frustrated. I went over a couple of her homework problems with her tonight, and she's perfectly capable of handling the material, but she gets so easily frustrated, and that's often enough to throw her off track.

So, since math was my Thing back in the day and I'm home full-time now, I figured I could carve out some time in my schedule to tutor her.

Here's my question: Can anyone recommend some tutoring/homeschooling materials they've used and liked? Web sites are fine. (She's used Khan Academy, but she really hates the interface. If that's the place to go, though, I can be an intermediary for her.)

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I have nothing but sympathy. We did algebra with a really awful teacher last year. ("We" being Hope. I just listened to her whine.) I thought she was exaggerating at the awfulness of said teacher, and then through a long series of events, found out she was worse than Hope had even said. Long story short, my straight-A girl barely squeaked by with a C, and no real firm grasp of algebra, so she's retaking it this year with a better teacher (awful teacher was fired two weeks before the end of school last year).

This long and pointless story has no point. :) We used Khan, and one tutoring session because I couldn't math with both hands, a calculator, a mathematician friend, the internet, and all the time in the world. Great good luck to you and your girl!

GailD

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My sympathy, too. Poor teaching skills can really set a child back and catching up usually means so much extra work. I don't know what the American math curriculum involves so I can't make any suggestions. But sending good vibes. :Hug2:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
YOU GUYS.

I was looking over her homework tonight, and she had some time rate and distance problems. I was always terrible at those. I couldn't get the concepts at all. If I was lucky I could fumble some numbers into a formula and get enough of the right answers not to flunk out.

But tonight? You guys, I googled a tutorial. And I get it now.

I have had a Math Epiphany, and nothing will ever be the same.

ETA: Stay safe and warm, hj, and anyone else in the storm line.

Last edited:

GailD

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There you go, Liz!

Like insanity, knowledge and wisdom are hereditary - you get it from your kids, or the internet, or whichever arrives first. :D

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
:Trophy: Congratulations, Liz!

Hunkering down for the storm. It's not due to hit until Saturday night, so we've plenty of time to panic!

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, osg! We'll be fine. :)

And if I'm not, Namatu is in charge. *runs before Namatu hears*

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Stay safe, HJ.:Hug2:

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
I've mentioned somewhere on AW that because of my Twitter handle, I've been tagged in tons of tweets that are meant for the former FBI director, who shares my name (but who is not on Twitter).

I have some occasional promo tweets that are scheduled for Tuesdays and Saturdays.

Today, Lawrence Block retweeted one of them! Granted, he made a crack about the Russia investigation, but LAWRENCE BLOCK RETWEETED ME!

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to be honest, Bob, I really think he's right. You're not giving Russia the attention it deserves. This is why we're paying you the big bucks, right?! :ROFL:

I'll be logging off, soon, by the way, until after the storm. Please pray and send good wishes. I hope to be back in a few days. Alleycat will be keeping my Facebook page updated as I'm able to update him. The eye of the storm is headed directly over me. Not sure what to expect but we're keeping our sense of humor and our faith. We'll be just fine, no matter what. :)

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
My sympathy, too. Poor teaching skills can really set a child back and catching up usually means so much extra work. I don't know what the American math curriculum involves so I can't make any suggestions. But sending good vibes. :Hug2:
When my kids and I lived in Cape Town, my daughter needed a math tutor. South African math is integrated right from the start but not here in the states. After 6 months of 3 afternoons a week she was caught up and when we returned to Utah, she skipped an entire year of algebra and went straight through to mid year of geometry. Her lessons in South Africa are why she took some of the most difficult math classes at university and passed them with some of the highest marks between 90 and 95%. We owe so much to the nice lady in Monte Vista who was so patient and diligent. (Can you tell I'm missing SA?)