Status
Not open for further replies.

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
Jim Butcher (as well as C. E. Murphy) is my new hero.

A Game That Honed the Skills of Writers

I think to read this is fabulous. I realize that as writers, if we wish to be prolific, can't allow ourselves to be consumed by it or allow it to take time away from our writing. It sure makes me feel better that this is one of the ways (online text-based RPGs) which lead me to being interested in trying to make a go of this writing business, so maybe it wasn't time completely wasted. :)

The need for speed helped break down writerly inhibitions, Ms. Murphy recalled. “Because it was real-time, happening as fast as we could type, there was no going away for a week to worry and fuss over whether your story was good enough to stand up to another critique partner’s abilities. We did our absolute best in the spur of the moment, and I think that kind of fresh, fast response is incredibly helpful to many writers.”

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Why not just write five thousand words of your own fiction each day? It takes no more time, and allows to to actually work on things that might sell.

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, man! I totally would've played this if I'd known about it. I never hear about the good stuff until it's become retro or classic. Sigh...

And I love that the name was inspired by The Chronicles of Amber. :D

Great article! Thanks for posting the link. :)

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
Why not just write five thousand words of your own fiction each day? It takes no more time, and allows to to actually work on things that might sell.

Won't argue with you on that. It's one of the reasons why my own involvement in that sort of thing has dropped off.

However, sometimes it's just fun to do. It's low pressure on the professional front and you get to kick up your heels with goofy stuff and still work on practicing word chops.

Then, there's more than just the writing. It's the social aspect and a good way to combine two things into one: creative writing and socialization.

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
I used to spend a LOT of time in Mushes - Two Moons, Dragonlance, and a PernMUSH mostly.

It's good writing exercise. If nothing else, it teaches you to write coherently and quickly, because no one wanted to play with a slowpoke or someone that couldn't spell. ;)

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I used to play a Star Trek based online RPG, way back in the heyday of Yahoo Groups. Sometimes the action was fast and furious, with writers doing several posts a day.

You might be surprised and gratified by what you can produce this fast, under pressure.

Good practice, but not something I can do when writing my own stuff.

Last edited:

AlwaysJuly

slugging through
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thisisnotnotmydayjob.blogspot.com
Interesting read. I sort of wish my husband would go back to playing MOOs and whatnot -- he was interested in writing when he was doing that bit of world, character and plot building, even though it was in a much more limited sense.

It's like a gateway drug for writers...

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
I think it would be interesting to find out exactly how many now-authors have a background in text-based RPGs.

(Mine was Werewolf: The Apocalypse in the White Wolf chat rooms)

Status
Not open for further replies.