Status
Not open for further replies.

ios

Weirdo.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
chiaroscurohouse.com
According to a recent article on ScienceDaily, Rajesh Bagchi and Amar Cheema conducted a study on visualizing goals in abstract contexts. They found that an easy to visualize goal is a strong motivator. Cheema says even drawing a graph can help.

So, what about you? Do you do make graphs or charts to help you visualize your goal and progress toward it?

Jodi

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
Nope, no graphs or charts for me, except for charts (matrices) at work where I have to do them. When it comes to visualizing writing goals for myself, I just sit down and write. That's the only way to motivate myself to reach my goals.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Nope. Goals are fine things, but I believe in concentrating on what it takes to achieve a goal, not on the goal itself.

The article says, "The easier a goal is to see, the closer it seems." I believe the opposite is true. The closer a goal is, the easier it is to see.

Unrealistic goals, or ones out of your control, can be devastating, and few goals people set are as easy as saving for a vacation. "Vacation" shouldn't be the goal, anyway. Saving a certain amount of money each paycheck should be the goal.

When applied to writing, "I want to be a published novelist" isn't a goal at all, it's a dream, and one out of your control.

Today I will spend the hours from seven to nine P.M. writing is a goal, and one fully within your control. It' doesn't require visualization, it' just requires sitting down today and doing it.

Do this, and you give your long-term dream the best chance of becoming reality. Don't do this, and chances are the dream will always remain a dream.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm very much a goal-oriented person and so I like to give myself concrete writing goals, usually a word count. Seeing myself hit that daily word count is both satisfying and motivating.

Victoria

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I drive around to the car lots and pick out the bad ass rod I'm gonna get when I become a rich and famous author. That's my visual goal setting. Course, I do the same thing every time I buy a lottery ticket.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The goals are there, but not articulated. They don't need to be manipulated on paper or computer, they don't need to be agonized over, they don't need to be poster-ized or slung on a banner. The best way to honor those goals is to get to work and show good progress toward them. And they are layered. Some are distant, but even those are broken into smaller step-goals--the scene-at-hand leading to the finished project type of goals.

The goals are wrapped in a shroud of self-discipline and motivation to write. It one hasn't found that shroud, all of the goal articulating won't do anything but take up writing time.

Status
Not open for further replies.