Sly Stone is living in a van?

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
It's sad to see anyone with a talent end up like that. Famous or not.

We all hope that talent brings a reward. Often it does. But to see Sly living like that.....

And yeah, it is partly his own fault. But it's common for black musicans to get fucked over by the record industry. Even these days.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
sly stone, like so many brilliant artists, got fucked out of his fortune by managers, publishers, lawyers, coke dealers and michael jackson.

Michael Jackson? :Wha:

Oh, now I see.

Contributing to the singer’s dire financial situation, he foolishly sold his valuable music-publishing rights to Michael Jackson​ for a reported $1 million in 1984.

Well, nobody held a gun on Sly and made him sell off his publishing rights on the cheap. Just because he didn't hold out for a better price doesn't mean he belongs in the "I Got Screwed By Michael Jackson" club along with Paul McCartney.

I'm sure Sly put that million bucks to good use. Some to buy that nice van he sleeps in and the rest right up his nose.

First Gil Scott-Heron and now Sly. It's been a tough year for soul survivors. At least Aretha lost a ton of weight.

Last edited:

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Sheesh, people. I have HEARD of Prince. It's kind of hard not to have. I actually liked his song Kiss and liked Tom Jones remake of it. When I said I know nothing about Prince it was in reference to the comment about his band being made up of a culturally diverse group. I know nothing about Prince's band or anything personal about Prince.

I do know his music. Just not much of a fan.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
...the stink of media manipulation wafts in...

Earlier this week we reported that Sly Stone is currently living in a white van in the middle of Los Angeles—homeless and, it would seem, financially destitute. But now questions have arisen concerning the source of this widely reported story, that otherwise spotless beacon of journalistic integrity, the New York Post. A "source close to Stone" alleges that the funk legend is living in the van by choice; Stone is still in rough shape, money-wise, but the source says that he is still able to rent a four-bedroom home in Woodland Hills, Calif. He just doesn't want to stay there; turns out the dude prefers vans, and he "is going to look at a couple of new vans this week."

Stone's attorney, Robert Alan, has also confirmed that the writer of the Post piece, Willem Alkema, paid Stone $5,000 to do the interview; another $2,000 was paid once the paper took the story, though it's not clear where that money came from exactly. Alkema is a Dutch filmmaker who directed the Sly Stone documentary Coming Back For More, and this story appears to have been an attempt to generate publicity for the movie. Somehow, this news does not make this story any less depressing. [Via Showbiz411.com]

As Johnny Rotten once said, "Ever feel like you've been cheated?"

TheWriteWay

Registered
Reaction score
I mean its pretty difficult to blow the amount of money people were suggesting that he had done. Even if he still has got a habit these days he would have to be getting through a hell of a lot of stuff on a regular basis to get rid of the cash he has.
It doesn't really surprise me that he has decided to live in a van. He has always been a bit of an eccentric and this fits into his image I think.
Also the fact that he had music instruments and recording equipment in his van didn't seem to turn anyone's head to it being a bit fishy?

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
...Stone is still in rough shape, money-wise, but the source says that he is still able to rent a four-bedroom home in Woodland Hills, Calif. He just doesn't want to stay there; turns out the dude prefers vans, and he "is going to look at a couple of new vans this week."...

:ROFL: Well, good for him... maybe. Any news on the drugs front?

I hope he's doing well. Yes, I want the funk.