late 19th century plumbing

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
It's the US, it's 1885, and I'm in an orphanage, which is, I've invented, a converted long-term hospital from the Civil War that has been updated since and donated to the Children's Aid Soc. by the owner who made lots of money off it back then. I want second floor (first floor to you Europeans) indoor plumbing, but cold water only, firewood stoves to heat water in winter, showers, basins.

Is this possible/likely? I assume the pipes are going to be exposed in those rooms...after a couple hours of research, during limited internet access today, I can't find exactly what I was hoping for, ideally images, or long descriptions...so perhaps one of you is a history-of-plumbing expert and has ideas about this.

How is water pumped up there?--do you think electricity is likely or not? (I had assumed the whole building wasn't wired, but I could be flexible on the matter). It's not crucial for the plot, but I want to make sure it all works logically.

I probably won't be on line again for another two weeks, but I'll read answers then and appreciate them!

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What city/state are you in?

The thing with plumbing is that you have to have it connected to something, whether it's your own well/water source or the communities. I think what you really need to figure out is whether or not your location has the basics to make this work.

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
What city/state are you in?

The thing with plumbing is that you have to have it connected to something, whether it's your own well/water source or the communities..

Oh yeah, sure.

The children's home is set in a town just south of Indianapolis, IN. Doesn't have to be a real town, in fact (the orphanage isn't real--the real one in the area was located in downtown Indy, but I wanted a more rural setting nearer to other orphanages of the day I've read about), so perhaps Greenwood (small back then, but with churches and stores), but if I want to invent, I can invent a town and what I need for the town or nearby towns (I need a nearby population sufficient to support the institution financially, though the family of the original donor will do some of that and churches some of it and the orphanage is, in part, self-supporting in various ways, again well-researched in what books there are of 19th century orphanage life--for instance, they have dairy cows but the kids never get to eat butter, as it's sold/traded in town for flour, sugar, other foodstuffs they can't grow or raise. This was a pretty common strategy).

For water source, I assumed an on-site well or wells , perhaps an old one dug years ago and a newer one. I'm dithering about a windmill for the pumping. There's an outbuilding laundry with hand wringer-washers, a ground-floor kitchen, ground-floor boys' bathroom just under the girls', a barn with work animals and the cows, so there also has to be pumps outside, as well. I just didn't want them hauling water upstairs for 100 kids--bad enough you have to take cold showers in summer and heat it by the kettleful in the winter.

It's an interesting era (part of why I'm writing it) when the Industrial Revolution had changed several things, but you still had people mostly farming with horses, oxen, scythes and flails. Indoor bathrooms were a sometimes sort of thing in orphanages of the era. It's not impossible.

From what I can get on-line, the institutional showers that did exist didn't have overhead showerheads but tiny side sprayers, which sort of hurt, particularly in winter. Brass fittings, I got that. I have a lot of little details like the brass, but I'm trying to imagine how the whole system worked. It always helps me if I have my imaginary worlds working right.

Alessandra, could be gravity fed, though it'd be heavy (interesting plot development to have it come crashing through a rotting roof) and they'd still have to pump it up there somehow.

I was really hoping to avoid electricity. I could go with outhouses and hauled water, which I have plenty of research details on (10-seater outhouses for boys and girls at one Maine--brr--orphanage) and basin-bathing only. But little scenes happen in the indoor bathrooms that I'd rather keep there. And cold painful showers appeal, as well--in many ways "my" orphanage is a model institution, reasonable well-funded, but there's still privation if you compare it to our lives.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
The place might have had electricity--I'm not sure, my knowledge doesn't go back that far: all I can tell you is that my house, in the 1920s, depended on a gas plant (that is, it made its own gas out of coal and other stuff) which powered its lights and so on.

It had plumbing, of sorts: no inside toilets, and baths which were filled with buckets. Admittedly, this house is very remote and so doesn't have the same facilities that houses in the city would have, but still. Things were very primitive here a hundred years ago, and I suspect that where you're writing about wouldn't have been a huge amount better.

Day O'

Registered
Reaction score

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Definitely, no electricity. Rural electrification came later. In the sort of community you're describing, you'd have gas light, probably.

Pull chain toilets.

Clawfoot tubs--that the children could only use once a week--would be more likely than showers. But showers are a possibility. Showering would probably also only be once a week.

That brings up clothes. My grandma described living on a farm in rural Missouri. She had one Sunday best dress, two school dress (each worn for a full week before washing) and two at home dresses (ditto). They actually wore the socks for one week before throwing them out. I assume clothing & laundry conditions might be worse in an orphanage.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
My daddy was a child in the early 1900's and lived in Mo.

He told of getting their first 'light bulb' when he was a kid. It hung down from the center of the ceiling in the living room on a long electric cord and had one bulb in it. They thought that had hit it big time. lol His house was in the city. They still had out door plumbing for the potty. A two seater out house. They had a wood stove, and gas for other lights in the house.

At Christmas they used candles on the tree. (Can you say fire trap?) But they put the tree up Christmas eve.

Indoor showers were not part of their choices. A large tub on Saturday was put by the stove in the kitchen and water was hauled in for bathing. With a family of six kids and two adults...you do the math. My luck I would be last on the bath list.

They had an 'ice box' that kept things cool. Ice was delivered every few days. Next to the sink in the kitchen was the hand pump for pumping water into the sink. That was big time too. For other water needs they used the outside hand pump at the well.

Laundry was done on Mondays. It was an all day affair and required a lot of elbow grease as it was done in wash tubes by hand. Clothes were wore all week. .....think bib overhauls for the boys. A few days wear on the shirts if not too dirty. You were lucky to have more than a couple of pairs of socks.

Shoes were passed down and holes were 'filled in' on the bottom with scrapes of leather or the like.

Getting a new pair of socks was a big deal at Christmas. Underwear for boys was not that big of deal. It was far better to own a pair of long underwear for the winters. (And hope you didn't get 'bugs' in them cause you wore them all winter long. (Who can say...BO?)

That's some of the things he shared.

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. good answers there. I've gotten rid of the showers, will do a windmill, which can pump the water that high, but only if there's wind, to tanks in the rooms A few calm days is no big deal; a few calm weeks, and they'll need to carry buckets. Indoor plumbing was indeed rare, and I read that people of the time with indoor toilets "regretting having them." The smell, I think. But I'm trying to figure out, if it was once a hospital before an orphanage, they might have had something indoors for patients. I've put in outhouses, too, two long eight-holers out past the barn, deciding that because of the field/garden/laundry work going on, it'd just make sense.

Just lanterns for light, Siri Kirpal. Though Indianapolis was early to electricity, I think you're right in that it wouldn't have gotten that far out. And I think I've nailed the clothes, but it's good to hear affirmation of that. At orphanages, generally Christmas was a time local people donated clothing, and I've imagined a big swap and pass on week for the kids (though I only reference it in one short paragraph, again, in my head, I need to know what's going on). That my character has a pair of white cotton gloves is a big deal to her, even tho they are too small. It's a rare thing to have a ribbon or gloves. My girl has exactly your grandmother's wardrobe, except I have the dresses get washed twice a week for field and kitchen workers.

The laundry works five days a week--diapers, sheets, sick kids--so it's not much added burden to do filthy work clothes. Also, the laundry is where the few teen girls work, under supervision, which helps keep them un-pregnant. I did work that through, that keeping the few remaining older kids from having constant sex with each other could be a challenge, especially since teens left there, not indentured out are going to be troublesome in one way or another, "incorrigible."

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks cactuswendy. I'm in AZ today and it's HOT, nasty hot here; hope you're keeping cool. Your info matches my ideas, and again, it's good to hear assurance. My grandfather cut and delivered ice for ice boxes, and as a kid, I loved hearing his stories of the old days, which is sure paying off now. It's easy for me to see taffy-pulling parties when I heard so many stories about them my whole life. Heck, I did laundry myself with a non-electric wringer washer from ages 4-6, so I don't have to research it. I just have to remember struggling the sheets through and not smooshing the fingers!

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. good answers there. I've gotten rid of the showers, will do a windmill, which can pump the water that high, but only if there's wind, to tanks in the rooms A few calm days is no big deal; a few calm weeks, and they'll need to carry buckets. Indoor plumbing was indeed rare, and I read that people of the time with indoor toilets "regretting having them." The smell, I think. But I'm trying to figure out, if it was once a hospital before an orphanage, they might have had something indoors for patients. I've put in outhouses, too, two long eight-holers out past the barn, deciding that because of the field/garden/laundry work going on, it'd just make sense.

Just lanterns for light, Siri Kirpal. Though Indianapolis was early to electricity, I think you're right in that it wouldn't have gotten that far out. And I think I've nailed the clothes, but it's good to hear affirmation of that. At orphanages, generally Christmas was a time local people donated clothing, and I've imagined a big swap and pass on week for the kids (though I only reference it in one short paragraph, again, in my head, I need to know what's going on). That my character has a pair of white cotton gloves is a big deal to her, even tho they are too small. It's a rare thing to have a ribbon or gloves. My girl has exactly your grandmother's wardrobe, except I have the dresses get washed twice a week for field and kitchen workers.

The laundry works five days a week--diapers, sheets, sick kids--so it's not much added burden to do filthy work clothes. Also, the laundry is where the few teen girls work, under supervision, which helps keep them un-pregnant. I did work that through, that keeping the few remaining older kids from having constant sex with each other could be a challenge, especially since teens left there, not indentured out are going to be troublesome in one way or another, "incorrigible."

Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Make that one or two tanks for the whole building.

You're probably right that a former hospital would have had some indoor plumbing, even that early. But yes, they'd need some outhouse space too.

My Grandma mentioned kerosene lamps and candles. (She lived through 2 house fires.)

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

plumbyshoe

Registered
Reaction score
Plumbing

Would there be a water tank on the roof of the building ?

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
This is an old thread, but I just wanted to add: a lot of homes didn't have electricity until the Rural Electrification Act of 1936. The house I grew up in didn't have electricity until then, and it's on the "civilized" east coast (albeit in the hinterlands between Bal'mer and Philly). Oh, and the geniuses who put in the electricity and plumbing decided to cut the floor joists in half to do it. It's a good thing the house is otherwise overbuilt, or the floors would have caved in!

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
Just want to add it would probably be very unlikely to have indoor toilets at this time, esp. for an orphanage. They might have an indoor pump in the sink, if it's connected to a well. All hot water would be heated on the stove.

My mother (born 1923) lived in rural MA - but near a major city - and her parents were considered fairly well off. They lived in a big old farm house with a barn attached (where her father had a sign business). They did not install indoor toilets until after my mother was married, around 1941. When I asked her, she said 'most other people' didn't have indoor toilets either. They used an outhouse. Schools had outhouses, too. It was very common and no one thought it was odd. (Remember, this is the 1940's.) They did have radios and electricity, however.

In fact, when I grew up in the 1960's there was a small church down the street from my house and it still had an outhouse - it was attached to the back of the church. Indoor plumbing for toilets was not installed in the church until the 1970's when the church was converted into apartments.

If outhouses were fairly standard up through the 1940's - even in areas where people were doing fairly well economically - then I would imagine your orphanage would have one, too. (Unless it was run by very generous, progressive-type individuals.)