• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

The Zharmae Publishing Press

traveo2343

Publisher at TZPP
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.zharmae.com
Hello All,

I may not be logged in here at the moment, I'll find out after this posts, but this is Travis Grundy, Publisher, TZPP.

To clarify some of the questions that have popped up in the last few months:

TZPP employs a fully experienced Marketing & Sales team that already has solidified relationships in the film and television industries, and we actively push those rights. I do understand your concern in a newer firm's ability to make good on those sales, generally speaking if we are unable to make those licenses in a reasonable amount of time, we gladly release those rights back to the author. But we like to think that having someone at least try to activley sell your rights is better then attempting to get on with an agent who may not actively push your secondary rights until the book has made some predetermined sales threshold.

Regarding the quetsion that arose about the Spring Compeition, we were not meaning to have that little bit lost on the print at the bottom of the page. To be clear outside of the Top 5, payment is purely related to length of submission. I'm currently attempting to alleviate some other concerns that have come up in our discussions with authors regarding this but simply put it is this:

<5k to 10K = $25
10k to 15k = $50
15K to 20k+ = $100

and this is listed clearly in the modified publishing agreements that we send out to those who either placed or made it to the semi-finals portion, but who may not have made it to the Top 5. If we intend on including a short story in an upcoing anthology I'll usually make it known by sending them a copy of the contract and asking for acknowledgement of the full terms which are identical in most provisions to our Standard unmodified Publishing Agreement.

Again, I can be reached directly at [email protected] with any specific questions that you may have.

Thank you for the continued interest and posting here in AbsoluteWrite.

Best,

Travis Grundy
Publisher, TZPP
www.zharmae.com

traveo2343

Publisher at TZPP
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.zharmae.com
Also just to note you can find a full listing of future slated works at this address:

http://zharmaepublishing.wordpress.com/catalogue/

And we launch all of our new books at zharmaepublishing.wordpress.com

We're in the, longer than anticipated, process of upgrading and redeploying our new website which will integrate both our main site, and our publication launch site.

Again, best of luck to you all.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, Travis. Thanks again for dropping by. I have a quibble with something you wrote:

we like to think that having someone at least try to activley sell your rights is better then attempting to get on with an agent who may not actively push your secondary rights until the book has made some predetermined sales threshold.

My bold.

The agents I know don't wait for a client's book to sell a certain number of copies before trying to sell subsidiary rights: they work on them right from the start. An agent-friend of mine recently made two foreign rights deals for a writer-friend of mine before a home deal was in place, and this is not uncommon.

Moving on, I'm concerned by the way you claim rights to all competition entries as outlined by Alex earlier:

A listing for Zharmae 5k-20k word spec fic contest popped up on Duotrope recently and I went to check it out:

http://www.zharmae.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=41&Itemid=67

It looked really good, too. A fee-free contest with good prizes, and their one previously published anthology looking pretty nice. I was going to submit something, and then I read the fine print:

All submissions are subject to future use by the Publisher. Should a submission be used in any way other than and or through inclusion in an upcoming anthology, the writer will be compensated at a rate of at least $25, but not more than $100 and no further compensation will be required.

Which basically means that you forfeit First Rights to your story, because Zharmae can exercise the option to publish it at any time, and pay you as little as $25.

This isn't standard procedure, and it's not good practice. It's something you might like to consider changing.

traveo2343

Publisher at TZPP
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.zharmae.com
Hello Again AW,

I fully understand, after the dust settles here, with the contracts and a few other things (we're getting back into the Writer's Workshops) I do believe that we will make a few significant updates to the guidlines that will more closely align with out M-SPA and with our intent.

I don't want you guys to feel any negative animosity, confusion, or unease. That being said, please keep an eye on @TZPPbooks and @traveo2343 for when we release the updated guidelines on the website. That may happen as soon as this weekend.

I hope that you've all had a great Independence Day holiday.

Travis Grundy
[email protected]

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Travis, rest assured there is no animosity or unease here. Not to worry--these are all just routine questions and concerns. You've shown great patience, and you're to be commended for your answers and participation. And yes, obviously, I have my eye on you. I'm totally lovin' your anthology cover, being the SF geek that I am.

tri

traveo2343

Publisher at TZPP
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.zharmae.com
Hi AW,

We are swamped on average of 300 monthly submissions plus the Contest, plus the Installment Series applications, plus a few other things.

I have published an update to the Contest Submissions guidelines page. I welcome your feedback and thoughts from an authors perspective. I would like this to be as transparent a process as possible, and due to some contract issues that have arisen since the close of this year's contest, I have had to make a few things much more clear.

I do hope that has come through and that you all still like TZPP.

Also, as an aside, TZPP will be getting back into weekly Writer's Workshop articles. If there is a specific topic that you feel we are not addressing, please feel free to email me at [email protected].

As we move forward with the Writer's Workshop series, we will be more focused on specific aspects of each genre.

Thanks,

Travis

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Hi, Travis. It's great to see you pop in again. I've got three irons in the fire with you at the moment, but I can see now that you've been loaded down. I can imagine just the apps on the series gig would weigh you down, let alone the submissions and reader pile.

My agent expressed to me that Ms. Grundy would like to see some type of revisions or a rewrite on one of my submissions. Could you please relay to her that, yes, I'm up to any changes or rewrites--this might be a faster answer to her than my agent can supply.

My name is Chris Stevenson. I'll send you private message outlining the particulars.

I hope you eventually get through your workload without wearing yourself down. And congrats on the Ends of Man antho. I'm still agog at the incredible cover art.

Last edited:

traveo2343

Publisher at TZPP
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.zharmae.com
Thank you for the feedback, the quickest way to reach any member of the staff is via the Facebook webpage at facebook.com/tzppbooks, or email directly. I check back here once every 2-3 weeks as my time allows.

You can also see some other great artwork for the upcoming Sci-Fi Classic reprint of William Tedford's Time Quest Series at http://prolificpen.deviantart.com/art/Time-Quest-Cover-1-269704925 This is the only cover in the Series that I have thus far authorized for release. I hope you all still enjoy our cover art. Yanni is a great artist for Sci-Fi and Fantasy work. We "luv" him.

We look forward to getting through our submissions and getting out some more work as we move through the False Impressions launch, Tedford's works, and the upcoming Twat next year.

One note to remember about submitting to us, if you ask (or your agent asks) we will provide feedback from our readers on how to improve your work, whether or not we ask for you to revise and resubmit.

Also if you are asked to resubmit a revision do keep in mind that we have only asked this of 27 submissions thus far this year...so you've got something good if that is the case.

traveo2343

Publisher at TZPP
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.zharmae.com
Hello AW,

Yes Twat by Emily Janson, is a sensationalized autobiography/memoir about coming of age and acceptance of self. Terribly funny and engaging, to include hooker heels, purse stealing, and great conversation over coffee with friends. We're still working out the cover, which is proving to be a bit more difficult to narrow down then originally though, Right now, we're looking at a January-March Release date....

see http://zharmaepublishing.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/catalogue-fall-20122.pdf in the Coming Soon section.

We also just released the cover for Book 1 of the TimeQuest Trilogy reprinting of the classic (same name) by William Tedford. Which has been significantly revised and updated. Should be able to pre-order soon this is scheduled for a January release. You can see the cover at www.facebook.com/tzppbooks

As always, please let me know if you have any other questions, comments, or concerns.

RobeH

Registered
Reaction score
Splendid. I hope you realise that 'twat' is insulting slang for 'vagina' in the UK.

elindsen

Zombie lovin'
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.augustkert.blogspot.com
I've had great experience with Zharmae. I submitted my novel back in April. About a month ago, I received a rejection (Oh well). I did as Travis suggested and asked why is was rejected. Personally, I thought it was a matter of taste on the reviewer's part (novel in 1st person) but the communication between Travis and his wife (Suzanne I think) was very polite and professional.

traveo2343

Publisher at TZPP
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.zharmae.com
Hello AW,

Yes, we are well aware that "Twat" is slang for Vagina in most of the English speaking world. You'll have to talk with Emily about the title. But it works well with the story. I do believe the point if to grab the reader's attention and get you to pick up the book and take a gander...more likely then not, buy it, or blush and put it back down.

As far as rejections go, we have about a 2% pass through rate. So of the 300 average monthly submissions we receive, only about 3 or 4 actually move forward. But take the feedback and resubmit other work.

As always, you are all welcome to email me directly with any questions you may have at [email protected]

Best

JournoWriter

Just the facts, please
Registered
Reaction score
Neither mine nor my staff's full resumes are made fully available on the website, as a general legal matter, an employee could term that a breach of privacy and bring legal action against their employer at anytime.

With respect, that is a load of hooey.

You can provide information approved by your employees without posting a full resume.

Your staff's bio pages discuss their childhoods, medical issues, states of residence and sports allegiances, but - with the exception of the marketing director - not a whit of information about their experience in the industry. It all comes across to me as entirely unprofessional. Why do I need to know Person A's medical diagnosis? Surely you can add a mere sentence or two outlining their publishing backgrounds.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
And they've only had one book out for a while now and no additional ones shows a red flag to me. There's a 3% request rate out of 300 books a month?? More like a 0% request rate. I haven't heard of anyone getting a request either. Maybe because they can't afford to publish another book. There is no mention of "coming soon" books either. I would pass on them Amanda. There's better pubs out there.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
In addition, does anyone hear about anyone winning the competiton too? That's been posted for almost two years now and not a word on that either. Another red flag.

Amanda R.

She who must be obeyed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twoamericansinchina.com
And they've only had one book out for a while now and no additional ones shows a red flag to me. There's a 3% request rate out of 300 books a month?? More like a 0% request rate. I haven't heard of anyone getting a request either. Maybe because they can't afford to publish another book. There is no mention of "coming soon" books either. I would pass on them Amanda. There's better pubs out there.

I'm just making a new list of publishers to submit to if I don't pass the Amazon contest. I'm really researching all the possible companies I might submit to. I was just wondering if this one should make it onto my sub list or not. Looks like a not.

Thanks!

nkkingston

Bemused Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solelyfictional.org
One novel and two anthologies appear to be the sum total of their output. All look lovely (though some are listed as being published by ebooks2go rather than Zharmae), but two books a year isn't going to keep them afloat without some downright incredible sales, especially since anthologies generally don't sell as well as novels.

It'd be really helpful if there was some kind of "Our Books" page on the website, instead of just a couple of covers and blurbs down the site. I only found the third book (which is coming soon) searching on Amazon and B&N. Their DeviantArt page, dated mid 2012, says they've got another five in the works but their own website isn't set up in a way to make it easy to find out more about this.

The anthologies appear to be the competition output, so at least there does appear to be something coming out of that. The authors are listed, so if people wanted they could contact them and see how it worked out for them.

James Crewe

Registered
Reaction score
Call For Submissions - Fantasy Manuscripts

Hey there -

I am the editor of Luthando Coeur, the fantasy imprint of Zharmae Publication Press. It is my privelege to request submissions of book-length manuscripts. All subgenres accepted - Steampunk, Swords-and-Sorcery, Fables, Urban, Dark Fantasy, what have you. Please see our website at: luthandocoeur.com. Special consideration is given to authors who put the word, 'darksome,' somewhere in their MS. Queries should be sent to: [email protected] .

Thanks!

James Crewe

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Moved from Other Forums & Message Boards, merged into Zharmae thread.

James Crewe

Registered
Reaction score
Zharmae and Luthando Coeur

Hi Guys,

I see that there has been an ongoing discussion about Zharmae. I find it interesting, although it predates Luthando Coeur. This year Zharmae is launching eight imprints, with each representing a genre. Luthando Coeur is the Fantasy imprint. Publishing as an enterprise has always presented a tension between new and established presses. Established presses offer a consistent track record and the evidence of patient, careful work down through the years. Newer presses cannot boast of that, to be sure. On the other hand, newer presses can offer a brisk, intuitive response to an emerging aesthetic sensibility. Some of the most profound developments in letters - I think of the works of German symbolist poets, of the Black Mountain press in the 50s, and of, well, the Little Press with a book called *Ulysses - have been brought to market through the exertions of newer presses. Such, we are so bold as to say, may be the case with Zharmae and her imprints. Luthando Coeur is interested in putting out important books. Of course, some of this will depend on the writers we bring in. But we have no doubt but that we shall find writers of great merit!

James Crewe
Luthando Coeur

traveo2343

Publisher at TZPP
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.zharmae.com
Hello Everyone,

I gather that it has been a while since I was last here to chat with my favourite Writer's watercooler hang out. So major updates about TZPP that will no doubt result in many responses and much feedback.

We have made all of our main contracts available for review at our corporate website http://trgmholdings.com/contract-boilerplate/ As you all know, TZPP contracts are all negotiable. I have been working dilligently to make the contracts as accessible to the general population of writers as possible. I think that I have done a fairly decent job thus far, of bringing the legalese to a minimum.

We have launched 8 new imprints which operate on a profit share model which does not offer an advance but does offer royalties at 15% for print book sales, and 50% for eBook sales.

I fully understand the backlash you may provide after hearing the about the no advance. Fear not though, Zharmae still does offer and pay advances to our authors.

As always feel free to email me directly at [email protected] if you have any comments, questions, or concerns.